GTX 580 Swap-out with GTX 670. Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonclimbs247

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I'm new to changing out graphics cards and I need some advice. I recently purchased a VGA GIGABYTE|GV-N670OC-2GD GTX670 R which is replacing my current GTX 580 from PNY. I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo, and a Intel i5-3570k processor with a Hyper 212 evo cooler. PSU is CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3, gold certified. I run on Windows 7 currently.

I guess I'm just wondering how exactly to replace the GTX 580 with my new GTX 670. Any help would be grand! Thank you all very much!!

Solution

I have the same motherboard as you do and its extremely easy, on the tab that holds the card to the motherboard theres a slider that locks and unlocks it, you slide it all the way to the right, remove all cables, unscrew it from the case and...

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

1.) Remove all connections from 580 (monitor, power)
2.) Carefully remove 580 from pci-e bracket (bracket may have clip)
3.) Insert 670 into bracket
4.) Reconnect cables
5.) Boot
6.) Download new Nvidia drivers for your new card
7.) Advanced/custom driver installation, select "clean" install

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I have the same motherboard as you do and its extremely easy, on the tab that holds the card to the motherboard theres a slider that locks and unlocks it, you slide it all the way to the right, remove all cables, unscrew it from the case and pull it out, then you just line up 670 press it in, it will make a click, and then slide tab back to the left, and thats all. Plug the cables back in, and secure it to the case and your done.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

The list blibba posted above is about all you need except he forgot to tell you to make sure to unplug the computer before doing anything else ;)

jonclimbs247

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

When do I do step 7? Is that a prompt or do I have to go into some setting and do that.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

When you install the new driver, it will prompt you to choose either, "Advanced" or "Custom" you choose custom. On the bottom there will be a check box saying "Preform Clean Installation" (or something similar I forget) and thats all.

By the clean install he means you have to go and remove all the Nvidia related drivers through "control panel" and you should do it, when you have replaced the old with the new. But I don't think it's neccesary, the drivers should work for all the Nvidia GPUs.

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

It's better to get the ones specifically for your new card.

jonclimbs247

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Install what new driver?

D

Deleted member 217926

You need to install the latest Nvidia driver after you install the new card. Even if it's the same driver version you already have the driver has configured itself for your older card. It may very well work fine with no driver reinstall but if you were testing with benchmarking software you would see a difference doing it correctly.

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

Obtaining a new driver:

1) http://www.geforce.com/drivers
2) Fill in appropriate boxes in manual search, click search
3) Download driver
4) Run executable
5) When given the option to run an advanced/custom install, do so, then tick the box for a "clean install" when you are presented with it.

Do this AFTER installing the new card.

Status
Not open for further replies.