Two Problems: BSOD when waking comp & randomly dismounting HDD

daveren

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Hello all,

I'm new at posting questions about computer problems here, so I apologize upfront if I'm doing anything wrong. Please, if I'm not being specific enough/lacking BSOD dump files [I don't know where to find these or how to upload them]/important spec information, just let me know and I will supply the necessary information. Thank you!

SSD: Corsair CSSD F40GB2 [boot drive]
HDD: Samsung HD103SJ [two partitions: one user and one program]
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

So basically, I've been having two main problems recently. One being a BSOD upon waking up a sleeping/hibernating computer and two being a randomly dismounting HDD.

The former problem has been happening for well over a year, but I've just kind of ignored it. Recently, my computer's starting to BSOD even when its not waking up, so I thought I might want to finally take a look into what's happening. If anyone would be kind enough to tell me how to post dump logs, I will gladly supply them.

The latter problem also is a recent occurrence and happens sporadically. I know this isn't the exact forum to post this in, but I thought I'd mention it to see if it is somehow connected. Sometimes I'll try to access Mozilla or a shortcut on my desktop and a message will pop up, notifying me that that file is unavailable for access. Then I check "computer" and see that my main data drive (the HDD) has disappeared! This problem remedies itself once I've restarted my computer but is still none-the-less disconcerting. Does this hint at a failing hard drive? It's important to note that when I try to back up the HDD or check disk it, it usually will disappear in the middle of my attempts, or my computer will BSOD and fail to complete the tests.

Again, thanks for helping me out. I built this computer a summer or two ago and I really want to keep this thing alive. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

alishathomaz

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
The most important Blue Screen of Death troubleshooting step you can take is to ask yourself what you just did.

1) Did you just install a new program or a piece of hardware, update a driver, install an update, etc.? If so, there's a very good chance that the change you made caused the BSOD:
Startup using Last Known Good Configuration to undo recent registry and driver changes.
Use System Restore to undo recent system changes.
Roll Back device driver to version prior to your driver update.

2) Scan your computer for viruses. Some viruses can cause a Blue Screen of Death, especially ones that infect the master boot record (MBR) or boot sector.

3) Update drivers for your hardware. Most Blue Screens of Death are hardware or driver related so updated drivers could fix the cause of the STOP error.

4) Return hardware settings to default in Device Manager. Unless you have a specific reason to do so, the system resources that an individual piece of hardware is configured to use in Device Manager should be set to default. Non-default hardware settings have been known to cause a Blue Screen of Death.

5) Return BIOS settings to their default levels. An overclocked or misconfigured BIOS can cause all sorts of random issues, including BSODs.

mattyg_nz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Open up event viewer (type it into the start menu) after this occurs and check the System log for errors. They will have descriptions of the BSOD/error. This information may be useful to you or someone here on the forum.