Sign in with
Your question

Wireless adapter and new antenna

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 25, 2012 7:13:29 PM

U have this AWUS036H adapter. and I bought this antenna but it doesnt work with my adapter, not antenna, not even base of antenna.
can somebody explain why?
February 26, 2012 12:49:01 PM

Your new antenna (with a dubious 16db of gain) has a RP-SMA connector but the AWUS036H adapter has a SMA connector. You need a gender-changer adapter for that antenna (such as this one HERE).

February 26, 2012 3:53:51 PM

why? when my new antenna has female connector and adapter has male connector. I can attach one to another
Related resources
February 27, 2012 12:46:43 AM

May have something to do with you saying
Quote:
and I bought this antenna but it doesnt work with my adapter, not antenna, not even base of antenna.

So I looked them both up and found the adapter has an SMA connector and the antenna has a RP-SMA connector.
It it works, what's the problem?
February 27, 2012 8:37:37 AM

problem is... I can attach antenna to adapter but it cannot capture many wireless signals. But with my old antenna it can
February 28, 2012 12:38:44 AM

A smart-arse answer would be to keep using your old antenna, but you need something better than that.

A 2.4Ghz vertical omnidirectional antenna with 16 DB gain would probably be in the neighborhood of 9 feet tall. It would be a collinear type antenna. You were taken. The one you bought might deliver 2.5db in real gain. A simple rule for buying anything on Ebay is to know what you are buying. If the price is too good to be true- then it probably isn't true.

A small corner reflector would have been better. A good one (
HERE) is available at Fry's and other places. The thing actually works as advertised.

!