Sign in with
Your question

GPU Whine?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2013 1:57:58 AM

Hey guys, so I have noticed recently that there is a whine or a squeal coming from my computer at certain times. When I run Minecraft, and click Multiplayer and it searches for servers, I start to hear a whine, almost like a kettle starting to boil, but not as loud. The same goes for when I click single player and it lists my worlds. Today I installed Hitman Absolution, and at the main menu, the squealing happens, more intense. In both these scenarios, the squealing stops the second I enter a world or start playing. I took of my side panel, and believe I narrowed down the sound to my graphics card. My build is only 6 months old, and I have had Minecraft on it since the start, but have only started hearing the whine recently. I have Googled a lot and found a lot of pages saying something about really high FPS causing it, but I'm not sure if that applies to me since it is only happening in the menu or at certain times. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
SPECS:
graphics: Gigabyte HD7950
mobo: Gigabyte z77-d3h
psu: Ocz ZX 850
CPU: i7 2600k
hsf: Noctua NHD14
storage: intel 520 ssd and wd black
ram: corsair vengeance LP 8gb

Thanks!

More about : gpu whine

January 31, 2013 3:11:29 AM

It often happens with amd cards, especially with 7970. I don't know how to solve this thou, maybe some guy here knows; taking it apart and reassemble? :D 
m
l
January 31, 2013 3:19:03 AM

its called coil whine, not damaging at all but admittedly it is annoying.

there are methods to fix it but itll void your warrenty.
m
l
January 31, 2013 9:55:21 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I was reading about the coil whine and that it was not harmful, and I'm just glad you all confirmed it! I'm not too worried about having to fix it as it is not constant, I mean, I am only in Minecraft or Hitman main menu for a few seconds after all.
Thanks again!
m
l
!