Sapphire 6850 Screen tearing

Maverin1

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
A few months ago i built my computer and went with a 6850 as the title suggests. Stability wise the card is great i've never had any crashes or anything but there is one thing that is really annoying. Screen tearing. 9/10 games i play have horrendous screen tearing. For most of them Vsync stops the problem with a very severe performance hit. It's been a while since i played but i do recall in crysis 2 vsync would take me from 60-70 FPS to 25. I was playing borderlands 2 today and had a much more acceptable 60-70 to 45 but it didn't really stop the screen tearing only lessened it. Also, i could just be paranoid but turning on vsync, even when fraps says i'm getting 30-60 fps it just feels clunky and overall just not as smooth as it should. Either i'm missing something big, the 6850 was not a good choice at all, or i need to send in my warranty. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. This time i downloaded them from AMD rather than installing from the disk to no help. Specs below.

Amd Radeon HD 6850 1gb
Phenom 965 BE 4-core
8gb ram
Asus m5a78l-mlx+
Asus VE228H 1080p 50-76hz (newegg) 60hz (system settings)
Using a DVI connection

Will provide any additional details i missed. Thanks!

Maverin1

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
A few additional details. Using an HDMI instead of DVI did nothing. And i found something that is weird. I don't know if it has any relevance but it is strange. My monitor is 60hz yet when i play dead space 2 (doesn't have bad screen tearing, just some in the lighting) and turn on vsync fraps tells me it's running at 30 fps. And recently while messing around in borderlands 2 i found that the only way to get rid of the tearing, despite using v sync, was to set my max fps to 30 then it all magically disappears.

bl00dyMurd3r

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I guarantee this will work for you, I had the same problem with screen tearing even with catalyst v-sync and game v-sync on.

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

This program is amaizng, you can setup profiles for individual games and run load of gfx enhancements, but the best part is you can set V-SYNC that works in the tweaks tab.

Just set a profile up for a game, go to tweaks, choose "Always On" in the dropbox, check lock frame rate up to monitors refresh rate, and type 60 in the box under "always on"

Hope this helps

Also this program has an optional OSD that can display FPS, GPU load, temp, fan speed, VRAM usage etc.. So if you like monitoring software it's all rolled into one

Maverin1

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
You, Sir, are possibly the most magical person alive. I haven't done much testing but just running around Sanctuary in BL2 looking at the new features with vsync set up through rp (turned off with unlimited fps in game settings) I am getting no tears or slowdowns. Note i haven't done anything action intensive but so far i have yet to dip below 50fps. Thanks A Lot!

bl00dyMurd3r

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Glad it worked for you! Have fun not being distracted by tearing man! :D