Sign in with
Your question

4 rdram slots: 2 ram modules + 2 dummy modules?

Last response: in Memory
March 10, 2002 4:43:20 AM

I'm not that familiar with RDRAM but I know the circut has to be complete for them to work. I plan on buying the Abit TH7-II with 2x 256mb Samsung RDRAM. The Abit mobo has 4 rdram slots and I am buying two rdram modules, does this mean I have to put two rdram dummy modules into the two remaining slots? If so do the fake modules come with the mobo/ram or where can I get them?
March 10, 2002 4:57:05 AM

The CRIMM's (Continuity Rambus In line Memory Module aka dummy module) comes with your motherboad.
When you get your mobo put the RIMMS in Bank 0 which are slots one and two. Put the CRIMMS in Bank 1 which are slots three and four.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <b>(·Y·)</b>
March 10, 2002 11:33:09 AM

i have the ABIT TH7 RAID...with 2 sticks of 64MB RDRAM and 2 CRIMMS.
I'll be upgrading to WinXP and wanted to increase my memory...but was hoping of keeping my existing 2 stcks of 64MB..
so..can i add 2 sticks of 128MB each in BANK 1 in adittttion to the 2 64MB sticks i have in bank 0??

and do the new ones have to be of the same make of the older ones...they were SAMSUNG...meaning..can i buy viking or mushkin for instance??
Related resources
March 10, 2002 11:54:45 AM

That is correct.
No they do not have to be the same make.
I suggest they all have the same clock speed. For instance if your existing 2@64 are PC800 in bank 0 I would use 2@128 PC800 in bank 1.
RDRAM has become very reasonable in price. Have you thought about getting 256MB PC800 modules?

March 10, 2002 12:00:27 PM

Might as well stick with Samsung because I have never heard of anyone having a problem with their RIMMS.
Plus the majority of Samsung RIMMS are certified to be used on Intel motherboards.
I know you have an Abit mobo.

March 10, 2002 12:21:53 PM

over the past 1/2 hour i've been checking the MEMORY forum for older posts...and i noticed 2 things....
what's this with single and double sided RDRAM...and second..:..devices per channel...

and how should this 2 points affect my purchase??
March 10, 2002 12:33:32 PM

for instance...i checked GOOGLEGEAR.com..and found the SAMSUNG modules...
the 128MB sticks are either 4 or 8 device sticks...with a 5$ difference
the 256MB sticks are either 8 or 16 devices???

no mention of double sided?? ( only with the KINGSTON modules )

what does devices supposedly stand for??..and which should i get...also...my 2 64MB SAMSUNG sticks came in my P41.5GHZ retail...how many devices are those??
March 10, 2002 5:40:15 PM

When they refer to device they mean the number of memory chips on the RIMM.
Your current 64MB RIMMS probably have four devices. Four 16MB memory chips on one side. ie single sided.
A RIMM can have up to eight devices on one side.
A 256MB RIMM with 16 devices will have eight 16MB memory chips on each side of the RIMM. (double sided)
A 256MB RIMM with 8 devices will have eight 32MB memory chips on one side of the RIMM. (single sided)
I hope this has answered some of your questions.
As for pricing. I suspect RIMMS with 32MB devices would be more expensive because 32MB devices have larger dies and have lower production yields. Thus making them more expensive to produce.

March 10, 2002 5:42:03 PM

8 device 128MB and 16 device 256MB are double-sided.

If you are not planning to overclock, less devices is better due to shorter serial path and lower latencies. If you are planning to overclock extensively, lower density double-sided RIMMs are usually better because they generate less heat per chip.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
March 10, 2002 6:16:32 PM

Ok then...so just before i put my order through...here are my two choices:
1-Samsung Original RAMBUS 128MB 800MHz 4-Device Memory 35$
2-Samsung Original RAMBUS 128MB 800MHz 8-Device Memory 39$
both from GOOGLEGEAR...
should i go for two sticks of number one...i dont intend to overclock them at all..
March 11, 2002 2:40:14 PM

Quote:
1-Samsung Original RAMBUS 128MB 800MHz 4-Device Memory 35$
2-Samsung Original RAMBUS 128MB 800MHz 8-Device Memory 39$
both from GOOGLEGEAR...
should i go for two sticks of number one...i dont intend to overclock them at all..

I would recomment two sticks of the lower density (#1 in this case).

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
March 11, 2002 4:52:56 PM

The second one is the lower density, as it has twice as many chips.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 11, 2002 8:22:03 PM

i'm a little confused...didnt u say..the less the devices the faster??
so #1 has only 4 devices ...and that's what i should go for...???

would u plz clear this out for me??
March 11, 2002 10:15:17 PM

Fewer devices will be very slightly faster (not noticeably), but will not overclock as much.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
March 13, 2002 10:36:47 PM

Quote:
The second one is the lower density, as it has twice as many chips.

Yeah, you're right - I wasn't thinking. #1 would be higher density which would be slightly higher performing at native speeds, cost slightly less, but less overclockable than lower density (more chips).

March 13, 2002 10:44:12 PM

Quote:
cost slightly less

Local shops normally have the same price for both, it's only the online stores that have to put the difference and charge more (based on my experience, at least).

March 14, 2002 3:46:28 PM

I have had a problem with their dimms...not their rimms, though...but they were puchased from sleezoids CNETPC. The first was bad (a 512PC133), so I swapped it, and the second was so bad it toasted my Mobo (it will boot, but it will no longer properly operate ANY dimms I put in it)! But I blame that on CNETPC...they may have been mircrowaving them...god knows. I'd ask them...but communication with them is impossible.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.
!