4 rdram slots: 2 ram modules + 2 dummy modules?

I'm not that familiar with RDRAM but I know the circut has to be complete for them to work. I plan on buying the Abit TH7-II with 2x 256mb Samsung RDRAM. The Abit mobo has 4 rdram slots and I am buying two rdram modules, does this mean I have to put two rdram dummy modules into the two remaining slots? If so do the fake modules come with the mobo/ram or where can I get them?
12 answers Last reply
More about rdram slots modules dummy modules
  1. i have the ABIT TH7 RAID...with 2 sticks of 64MB RDRAM and 2 CRIMMS.
    I'll be upgrading to WinXP and wanted to increase my memory...but was hoping of keeping my existing 2 stcks of 64MB..
    so..can i add 2 sticks of 128MB each in BANK 1 in adittttion to the 2 64MB sticks i have in bank 0??

and do the new ones have to be of the same make of the older ones...they were SAMSUNG...meaning..can i buy viking or mushkin for instance??
  2. over the past 1/2 hour i've been checking the MEMORY forum for older posts...and i noticed 2 things....
    what's this with single and double sided RDRAM...and second..:..devices per channel...

and how should this 2 points affect my purchase??
  3. for instance...i checked GOOGLEGEAR.com..and found the SAMSUNG modules...
    the 128MB sticks are either 4 or 8 device sticks...with a 5$ difference
    the 256MB sticks are either 8 or 16 devices???

no mention of double sided?? ( only with the KINGSTON modules )

what does devices supposedly stand for??..and which should i get...also...my 2 64MB SAMSUNG sticks came in my P41.5GHZ retail...how many devices are those??
  4. 8 device 128MB and 16 device 256MB are double-sided.

If you are not planning to overclock, less devices is better due to shorter serial path and lower latencies. If you are planning to overclock extensively, lower density double-sided RIMMs are usually better because they generate less heat per chip.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
  5. Ok then...so just before i put my order through...here are my two choices:
    1-Samsung Original RAMBUS 128MB 800MHz 4-Device Memory 35$
    2-Samsung Original RAMBUS 128MB 800MHz 8-Device Memory 39$
    both from GOOGLEGEAR...
    should i go for two sticks of number one...i dont intend to overclock them at all..
  6. Quote:
    1-Samsung Original RAMBUS 128MB 800MHz 4-Device Memory 35$
    2-Samsung Original RAMBUS 128MB 800MHz 8-Device Memory 39$
    both from GOOGLEGEAR...
    should i go for two sticks of number one...i dont intend to overclock them at all..

I would recomment two sticks of the lower density (#1 in this case).

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
  7. The second one is the lower density, as it has twice as many chips.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
    Don't step in the sarcasm!
  8. i'm a little confused...didnt u say..the less the devices the faster??
    so #1 has only 4 devices ...and that's what i should go for...???

would u plz clear this out for me??
  9. Fewer devices will be very slightly faster (not noticeably), but will not overclock as much.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
  10. Quote:
    The second one is the lower density, as it has twice as many chips.

Yeah, you're right - I wasn't thinking. #1 would be higher density which would be slightly higher performing at native speeds, cost slightly less, but less overclockable than lower density (more chips).

11. Quote:
    cost slightly less

Local shops normally have the same price for both, it's only the online stores that have to put the difference and charge more (based on my experience, at least).

12. I have had a problem with their dimms...not their rimms, though...but they were puchased from sleezoids CNETPC. The first was bad (a 512PC133), so I swapped it, and the second was so bad it toasted my Mobo (it will boot, but it will no longer properly operate ANY dimms I put in it)! But I blame that on CNETPC...they may have been mircrowaving them...god knows. I'd ask them...but communication with them is impossible.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM RDRAM Samsung Product