Sign in with
Your question

Cannot install driver for HD 7870 2ghz 2gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2013 4:35:49 AM

I am currently baffled and would really appreciate some expert's help. I bought an used PowerColor PCS+ HD7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 pn AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPP. I installed the but I'm having a hard time installing the driver. I finally went thru the driver installation successfully; but after restart, the system will hang. normal log on screen is all garbled up and then the computer freezes after entering the password. Only way to log on is safe mode. I have gone thru some of the driver installation instructions I found (used the uninstall utility from AMD to remove unsuccessful installatations, removed (with CCleaner, driver sweeper) all old Nvidia drivers, and cleaned the registry manually. This will happen in Ubuntu as well. I'm beginning to suspect a bad card. Unless my power supply is not good enough. I got a Coolmax CU-700B. the specs on the box are a little confusing: +12V1 18A, +12V2 16A, +12v3 16A total watts on 12V = 570 Watts. this power supply has 2 separate "rails" for the pcie connections, are those the 16A specs? (+12V2, +12V3), if I can assume that's 32 Amps, is that enough for the 7870?

my system
Asus M4A77TD motherboard
AMD Phenom II 965 (not overclocking)
8gig cheapo DDR3 memory (4x2)
3 sata hard drives (5400 rpm)
pc cooler EFFIZIO EFZ - 92HA3
and the CU-700B mentioned of course
any help greatly appreciated! I would hate to expend more money on a better power supply if I don't need to.
January 31, 2013 4:45:46 AM

anleu1 said:
I am currently baffled and would appreciate some expert help. I bought an used PowerColor PCS+ HD7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 pn AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPP. I installed but I'm having a hard time installing the driver. I finally went thru the driver installation successfully; but after restart, the system will hang. normal log on screen is all garbled up and then the computer freezes after entering the password. Only way to log on is safe mode. I have gone thru some all the driver installation instructions I found (used the uninstall utility from AMD to remove unsuccessful installatations, removed (with CCleaner, driver sweeper) all old Nvidia drivers, and cleaned the registry manually. This will happen in Ubuntu too. I'm beginning to suspect a bad card. Unless my power supply is not good enough. I got a Coolmax CU-700B. the specs on the box are a little confusing: +12V1 18A, +12V2 16A, +12v3 16A total watts on 12V = 570 Watts. this power supply has 2 separate "rails" for the pcie connections, are those the 16A specs? (+12V2, +12V1), if I can assume that's 32 Amps, is that enough for the 7870?

my system
Asus M4A77TD motherboard
AMD Phenom II 965 (not overclocking)
8gig cheapo DDR3 memory (4x2)
3 sata hard drives (5400 rpm)
pc cooler EFFIZIO EFZ - 92HA3
and the CU-700B mentioned of course
any help greatly appreciated! I would hate to expend more money on a better power supply if I don't need to.

you should be okay with that psu. that sound like what happened to my msi 7970 when i fried it from a too high overclock........it would display......until i installed the drivers then it wouldn't do anything. very good chance its a bad card dude.
m
l
January 31, 2013 4:53:55 AM

I suspect the same. thanks for the help. Do you think I can have the card "tested" somewhere? like Fry's? I bought it used at Ebay (I know that was stupid), with no original packaging or anything, I don't think I can send it to Powercolor without registering it. And I still hope the card is ok, I got it at an excellent price (that's a bad sign now that I think about it). $172 - should had better bought a brand new in box 7850 1 gb at newegg instead for $155
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2013 7:56:18 AM

It could be a bad gfx card as well as bad RAM or nothing.

If your system runs on Safe Mode for long enough, then your user profile may have been corrupted. That your hard disk has developed bad sectors on it is not a remote possibility, either.

What I would do is, first, open up a command prompt with admin privileges and type in

CHKDSK /F /R X: where X: is your system drive

Second, I would suggest bringing up the real admin account and create new admin account ( a new profile ) with that. Use this account.

Third, test your RAM outside of windows: Prepare a boot disk with memtest-x86 http://www.memtest.org/ and boot to it. Let the test run for more than four hours.

Fourth, use Device Manager to update your gfx card drivers ( the old .inf method )

Fifth, see if the above helps.
m
l
January 31, 2013 10:34:42 AM

I have suspected before my windows 7 user profile is corrupt, that wouldn't explain the driver not working on Ubuntu (or my Windows XP partition). can I test the ram with the option on the grub menu? I tried the 4th method before; the only way the card will display is under the windows default driver. Can I check the drive with a gparted live CD instead?
m
l
January 31, 2013 10:58:36 AM

I am sorry I have no knowledege on Linux OS. Therefore, all I can suggest is, use Windows commands for HDD checking and boot CD for RAM. Maybe others with knowledge on Ubuntu, GParted, etc. will chime in and answer you properly.

Regards
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:02:47 AM

Thank you very much for the suggestion, for sure I'll give it a try!
m
l
!