Recurring BSODs - Software Or Hardware Problem?

haoyee

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Firstly my specs, then the problem:

AMD Phenom ii x3 720 BE
Asus M4A78LT-M LE
Kingston HyperX Blu 1600Mhz 8gb
ATI HD 6850 XFX BE
1 TB Western Digital HD
(Homebuilt)

Right, problem:

BSODs, random freezes, occasional CMOS settings resets AFTER changing RAM.
Under RAM diagnosticss, I get errors- before AND after changing the RAM. RAM used to be G. Skill RIPJAWS.

Using sfc /scannow produces some corrupted files, clean Win 7 install is an option, but I want to know if I should replace my Motherboard or CPU first.

IMO it must be the RAM slots because the RAM is literally about 5 days old, and produces errors in memory diag. tools. Chkdsk found errors but corrected them. Safe Mode is usually stable, andweirdlyy the first day I used the RAM it performed flawlessly.

Pretty much all the BSODs are ntroskrl.exe errors (NT Kernel) - System exceptions, IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, etc

Yes, i have swapped RAM modules, taken them out, removed Graphics card, taken out CPU and put back again, replugged connections, and I (at least) have come to the conclusion that it is most likely a RAM slot error/Motherboard or CPU failures. another note: overclockingmodifyingg CPU values in any way produces BSODs much more frequently. Booting a live-cd version of WinXP is completely stable.
g.gif

So.. RAM-slot, OS corruption, or CPU?

I will post any needed logs/dumps in the additional info section - I am a power/advanced user so no need for tech small talk.

thanks...

If you are overclocking, reset back to factory. Run memtest86+ on each stick of ram individually for at least 3 passes. If it fails, RMA the memory. Also check your motherboard manual and make sure you are using the correct slots.