FPS and weird framrate problems - GTX 670

turkeyrunner76

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hi,

So i built my own computer recently and comparing it to my cousins computer and a mates, and i am very disappointed. I have an i5 3570K, GTX 670, Asrock z77 Extreme4, 8 gig of ram, corsair HX750 psu. The game i am mainly referring to is Borderlands 2 but other games seem to perform worse than my mates system even though i have better components.

So my cousin runs everything full in BL2 on a GTX 570. With everything maxed on my system, i drop FPS quite a lot in bigger fights, and sometimes just running along it can dip a little - my cousin with the GTX 570, doesnt at all. Could my GPU or system be underperforming? Or could it be a glitch with the 600 series? if so, what can i do?

Also, sometimes in BL2, i get an FPS of 60, but the game feels like it is framerating, just lags a little when i pan around with the mouse with the FPS counter still at a solid 60. To give you an idea, it kind of feels like a 40-50 fps even though it really is 60. This happens in other game too, such as dota 2 Ideas?

I have looked everywhere for an answer, but everything i have tried hasnt worked so far.
Everyone i have asked in person also says that i should be excelling with BL2, and should have no problems at all.

I am very frustrated and a reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

with a new system before you toss the os onto it you need to make sure the mb bios is up to the last rev so all the cpu code and bug fixes are on the mb. the same if you have a ssd. with the new system make sure intel xmp mode in the biso is turn on for your ram to run at max speed and that the ssd/main hard drive on the intel sata 6g port and the sata ports are set to achi mode. also make sure the gpu is set as the primany video device. (peg) not ipgpu and the video cable on the gpu not intel onboard video port. make sure the Lucid Virtu MVP ver:2.1.119 software that bonds the intel ipgpu and gpu together was not installed. if it was boot into safe mode and remove it. also make sure you installed the newest intel chipset drivers.

turkeyrunner76

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
thank you for your reply :)

I had a look around in the bios, and couldnt find the Intel XMP. the PCI express port is the default (which has my gpu in it) and the onboard is disabled. Everything is up to date.

Any other ideas?

so he's maxed out, really? what is the difference in monitor resolution. did you actually see his game settings? did you try altering the physx settings at all? are they the same on his? if either or both of you hit the "auto" calibration when in the game panel the settings for each machine will be different. there has to be a reason. your machine should play this game without a problem.
what else are you having problems with? have you done an anti malware/virus scan lately. what background programs are running? anything that is set to auto update itself will cause problems like this.

I own a GTX 670 myself, and there sometimes are some FPS issues with Borderlands 2. I've tried to keep vsync off and the FPS can go from 200 FPS to 40 FPS at random times. I've owned 2 new gaming systems in the past half year and I experience it on both. It seems as a problem within the game.

turkeyrunner76

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

We have exactly the same settings, and his just seems to run a little better - when i auto settings, it just turns AA down and physX. None of my games actually run that slow, but its a little annoying.

Its just i get a little lag sometimes with mouse/map panning which is really annoying, and its just not as smooth as my mates computer. Yeah and sometimes when i have 60 FPS i still feel like im getting framerate - a friend mentioned something about microstutter or memory leakage or something, any ideas?

Usually not much runs in the background, not much that i thought were significant. Also should i configure the nvidia control panel with certain settings?

turkeyrunner76

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Yeah ive heard its some poor optimisation or something. But what about my issues with dota and the mouse panning kind of lag? and its usually not too bad, but it could be wayy smoother.

Could any of my parts be bottlenecking any other part? is something restricting my computer?

I almost have the exact same system. There shouldn't be any problems with your rig. I monitor my CPU, GPU and RAM ingame and I don't experience any bottlenecking from the numbers I get.

If you wanna look yourself, then this guide will help you through to do so:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1229915/how-to-cpu-and-gpu-usage-along-with-fps-in-game

I think I've found the problem! I believe you play on different monitors, right? Well there is a specifaction on screens that is called ms, screens usually have 5ms or 2ms. The ms means miliseconds, and that is the response rate of your screen, less is better. So if you got a 5ms screen and he has a 2ms screen, then that could be the reason.