Sign in with
Your question

Trying to choose a new video card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2013 5:19:22 AM

Hey all, My budget is around $500 or less. My old card is a EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5gb and still works awesome but I'm puting it in another build to sell. I've read a lot of reviews and looked over a lot of performance charts and it looks like AMD and Nvidia are pretty neck in neck this year so far. I've always been an Nvidia guy but this year I'm just looking to get the best bang for my buck and with the least about of problems as possible :) . Here lately I've mainly played games like Skyrim and GW2. I also use my computer for watching shows on Amazon Prime and Hulu. I know that my build is a major overkill for what I do with my computer but oh well.

Anyway, here is my specs and hope to hear some recommendations soon.

Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown Six core (not overclocked)
EVGA Intel X58 SLI3 mainboard
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline DDR3 1600 24gb (not overclocked)
Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200rpm 64mb cache
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000w
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower case
Asus Blu Ray writer

More about : choose video card

a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 9:52:06 AM

I'd say go for GTX 680 as you want the best. But HD 7970 GHz Edition is better than 680 as it is almost at par with the GTX 680 also it is about $50-$100 cheaper.

Another thing is that the next generation GTX 700 and the AMD 8000 series are just round the corner and rumors say that they will be more powerful and also cheap so it will be really worth the wait.
m
l
January 31, 2013 10:37:32 AM

The only problem with waiting is that if I do end up selling this other build with my current video card in it I will not have a video card. That has been my biggest problem deciding between Nvidia or AMD. As I said before, I've always been an Nvidia guy but the past 2 card I have owned had problems that I didn't like. I thought I might try something different this time but not to sure.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2013 10:50:03 AM

just get GTX 670. Best performance with the right price.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 10:51:32 AM

Ok then get a HD 7970 it has got great reviews from a lot of people and I myself am hacking a wonderful experience. Overclocked the card from 1050MHz to 1250MHz. Using stock cooler and haven't faced a single problem yet. I have sapihhire vapor x.
I myself haven't had much of a experience with nVidia cards.
Both GTX 680 and HD 7970 are great cards and I'm sure you won't go wrong with any of the two cards.
m
l
January 31, 2013 11:00:11 AM

If only i can spend $500 for a graphic card.. :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 12:11:03 PM

7970 ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$419 with rebate sapphire vapour x (nice cooling :D )

Or you can just overclock it yourself

$379

heres a good 670

Now both the 7970 non ghz and ghz are faster than the 670. If you really want phsyx and cuda go for The 670. If not the 7970 is the faster gpu
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:34:27 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! This is one tough decision lol. I've never owned an AMD/ATI card before but that is looking like the best bang for my buck as said before. Then on the other hand it's tough to go away from what I know in Nvidia. I'll keep reading reviews on these cards that you all have suggested and I'll let you all know what I decide :) .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 4:13:27 AM

Amd cards are awesome. And since you have a good experience with nVidia, don't you think that AMD will provide you with just that as AMD is in direct completion with nVidia.
Benefits of nVidia cards
Slightly better than the AMD cards
Uses less power

Benefits of AMD
Lower price
Oc
m
l
February 1, 2013 5:07:37 AM

Obvius benefit for AMD is the overclock headroom. I own GTX 660 and the overclocking capabilities are dissapointing. OC 7870 will bash 660. But i prefer low energy graphic card, because i love earth :lol: 
m
l
February 1, 2013 11:55:31 PM

Yeah I've never been much of an overclocker but that doesn't mean I'll never try. I'm almost thinking I might go over my budget and get the GTX 680 4gb. I know nothing uses 4gb of vram just yet but it might be a little "future prof" as they say. I haven't made up my mind though. I have to sell this other computer first so I'll have the money to buy the card I choose.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2013 12:25:43 AM

It'll be a long time when any game will actually use 4gB of VRAM. For how long are you willing to use this card? If one or two years 2gB is enough as the memory bandwidth is pretty high of this card no game will be able to use the extra memory.
m
l
!