Did PPPoE break my network to 5040?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
January 9, 2005 4:56:18 PM

My DSL ISP converted to PPPoE a month ago which somehow broke my Wireless
bridge network connection I had for my 5040. It was working fine prior to
that.

When I select to have it automatically set up, it successfully finds a
network connection, but goes the whole 90 seconds to verify network and
then tell me that it gets no response from the name server.

I've tried manually setting the name server numbers I have off my ISP's
web site, but each time I get "not reachable" for my DNS Server numbers.

Dunno what else to try 'cept double check the DNS server numbers with my
ISP. Anybody?

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:57:12 PM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:56:18 -0500, jpmist <bogus@apparently_fake.net>
wrote:

>My DSL ISP converted to PPPoE a month ago which somehow broke my Wireless
>bridge network connection I had for my 5040. It was working fine prior to
>that.
>
> When I select to have it automatically set up, it successfully finds a
>network connection, but goes the whole 90 seconds to verify network and
>then tell me that it gets no response from the name server.
>
> I've tried manually setting the name server numbers I have off my ISP's
>web site, but each time I get "not reachable" for my DNS Server numbers.
>
> Dunno what else to try 'cept double check the DNS server numbers with my
>ISP. Anybody?

It's likely that those were changed when they went to using PPPoE. The
website may be out of date.

Are you able to use this connection from ANY device on your network
(preferably wired)? If so, does it have the same DNS addresses as your
Replay?

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx

January 10, 2005 3:36:57 PM

Thanks, Mark, for the reply. . .

I've e-mailed my ISP about the DNS numbers, dunno yet, they're curiously
silent after my followup to their initial response.

Can I use my network? Yeah, everything but the Replay works as it did
before. But I can't find the DNS numbers anywhere in my Mac system. The
System doesn't list the numbers in any of my settings, referring to them as
optional.

I've no idea how PPPoE works, but if it's working around, or changing the
DNS numbers then I'm toast. . .

"This connection". . . Are you referring to the wireless bridge to the
Replay? If so, yeah, it works. When doing an auto switch to ethernet, the
Replay can find my Airport network cause it lists an IP address, the subnet
and Gateway. The network connection fails because it can't connect to the
DNS server.

In article <cb63u0pin03rtamsr9qrn8uuq91ri6q4cl@4ax.com>,
Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> >My DSL ISP converted to PPPoE a month ago which somehow broke my Wireless
> >bridge network connection I had for my 5040. It was working fine prior to
> >that.
> >
> > When I select to have it automatically set up, it successfully finds a
> >network connection, but goes the whole 90 seconds to verify network and
> >then tell me that it gets no response from the name server.
> >
> > I've tried manually setting the name server numbers I have off my ISP's
> >web site, but each time I get "not reachable" for my DNS Server numbers.
> >
> > Dunno what else to try 'cept double check the DNS server numbers with my
> >ISP. Anybody?
> >

> It's likely that those were changed when they went to using PPPoE. The
> website may be out of date.
>
> Are you able to use this connection from ANY device on your network
> (preferably wired)? If so, does it have the same DNS addresses as your
> Replay?

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
January 10, 2005 3:36:58 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:36:57 -0500, jpmist <bogus@apparently_fake.net>
wrote:

>Thanks, Mark, for the reply. . .
>
>I've e-mailed my ISP about the DNS numbers, dunno yet, they're curiously
>silent after my followup to their initial response.
>
>Can I use my network? Yeah, everything but the Replay works as it did
>before.

If you can access the web, by entering a URL such as "www.grc.com" you
can tell that DNS is working on that machine.

> But I can't find the DNS numbers anywhere in my Mac system.

They should be there somewhere, although I don't have a Mac so I'm not
sure just where. In Windows you use the "IPCONFIG" command. Also, most
people here use a router, that would be the best place to look.

>The
>System doesn't list the numbers in any of my settings, referring to them as
>optional.

It's probably set to obtain them automatically (DHCP), so you don't
set them there. Where are they coming from? Also, what happens when
you set the Replay to do the same, then reboot it? Since you're
dealing with an extra complication (the wireless link), the problem
could be there. Try using a regualr (wired) connection, at least
temporarily.

>I've no idea how PPPoE works, but if it's working around, or changing the
>DNS numbers then I'm toast. . .
>
>"This connection". . . Are you referring to the wireless bridge to the
>Replay?

Unable to tell from a quote out of context, but looking below it was
obviously your internet connection.

> If so, yeah, it works.

But is DNS working on it? That's the problem. You may need to change a
setting on it, or (even better), try removing that complication and
use a cable.

> When doing an auto switch to ethernet, the
>Replay can find my Airport network cause it lists an IP address, the subnet
>and Gateway. The network connection fails because it can't connect to the
>DNS server.

I still say, get rid of that complication (wireless) and try it then.
You may want to go back to wireless, but at least you will have
located the problem.

Much of troubleshooting is using your intelligence.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

January 10, 2005 10:06:00 PM

Do you run PPPoE software on the computer, or is it built in to the
router? If the former, then your computer is the only thing that can
talk over the internet. You'd have to get a router that can do that,
or, have your computer act as a router (yuck).

My ISP (Verizon DSL) uses PPPoE, but the router handles it all
transparently. I would have not switched over otherwise.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 10:06:01 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:06:00 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Do you run PPPoE software on the computer, or is it built in to the
>router? If the former, then your computer is the only thing that can
>talk over the internet. You'd have to get a router that can do that,
>or, have your computer act as a router (yuck).
>
>My ISP (Verizon DSL) uses PPPoE, but the router handles it all
>transparently. I would have not switched over otherwise.

And accessing the router interface would be a good way to determine
the WORKING DNS addresses.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

January 11, 2005 12:25:35 AM

My ISP got back to me and confirmed that the DNS numbers I'd plugged into
the Replay were correct.

Certainly could be the wireless bridge, but the coincedence of the
connection going down at the same time my ISP switched over to PPPoE is
hard to let go.

I'll give connecting my laptop to the Replay next and see what happens. . .

Thanks

In article <hrg5u09f3dvfal0qisssg2400n09ar0iin@4ax.com>,
> [...]

> You may want to go back to wireless, but at least you will have
> located the problem.
>
> Much of troubleshooting is using your intelligence.

> >> It's likely that those were changed when they went to using PPPoE. The
> >> website may be out of date.
> >>
> >> Are you able to use this connection from ANY device on your network
> >> (preferably wired)? If so, does it have the same DNS addresses as your
> >> Replay?
> >
> >___________________________
> >
> >jpmis* speedfactory * net
> >___________________________
>
> --
> Mark Lloyd
> has a Replay 5xxx
> http://go.to/notstupid
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:27:47 AM

In article <smAEd.6121$hc7.5044@trnddc08>, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do you run PPPoE software on the computer, or is it built in to the
> router? If the former, then your computer is the only thing that can
> talk over the internet. You'd have to get a router that can do that,
> or, have your computer act as a router (yuck).
>
> My ISP (Verizon DSL) uses PPPoE, but the router handles it all
> transparently. I would have not switched over otherwise.

The Airport handles the PPPoE all on it's own so I don't have to screw with
it.

DSL Modem > Airport > Wireless bridge > Replay

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:34:08 AM

In article <8us5u05loko82ift6u2ointb8j33460jb0@4ax.com>,
Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> >Do you run PPPoE software on the computer, or is it built in to the
> >router? If the former, then your computer is the only thing that can
> >talk over the internet. You'd have to get a router that can do that,
> >or, have your computer act as a router (yuck).
> >
> >My ISP (Verizon DSL) uses PPPoE, but the router handles it all
> >transparently. I would have not switched over otherwise.
>
> And accessing the router interface would be a good way to determine
> the WORKING DNS addresses.

All I have to work with the Airport router is the Airport Admin Utility. I
have two nice empty boxes where the DNS server numbers would be listed. . .

One other possiblity is that the Airport software might have gotten updated
and is limiting access to the wireless bridge somehow. Do bridges have ID's
like "00:05:84:F7:06:EE" (for example)?

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
January 11, 2005 3:24:32 PM

John in Detroit wrote:
> jpmist wrote:
> > My ISP got back to me and confirmed that the DNS numbers I'd
plugged into
> > the Replay were correct.
> >
> > Certainly could be the wireless bridge, but the coincedence of the
> > connection going down at the same time my ISP switched over to
PPPoE is
> > hard to let go.
> >
> > I'll give connecting my laptop to the Replay next and see what
happens. . .

> > Thanks
> >

> > In article <hrg5u09f3dvfal0qisssg2400n09ar0iin@4ax.com>,
> > Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
> >

> >>On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:36:57 -0500, jpmist
<bogus@apparently_fake.net>

> >>If you can access the web, by entering a URL such as "www.grc.com"
you
> >>can tell that DNS is working on that machine.

> >>They should be there somewhere, although I don't have a Mac so I'm
not
> >>sure just where. In Windows you use the "IPCONFIG" command. Also,
most
> >>people here use a router, that would be the best place to look.

> >>It's probably set to obtain them automatically (DHCP), so you don't
> >>set them there. Where are they coming from? Also, what happens when
> >>you set the Replay to do the same, then reboot it? Since you're
> >>dealing with an extra complication (the wireless link), the problem
> >>could be there. Try using a regualr (wired) connection, at least
> >>temporarily.

> >>Unable to tell from a quote out of context, but looking below it
was
> >>obviously your internet connection.

> >>But is DNS working on it? That's the problem. You may need to
change a
> >>setting on it, or (even better), try removing that complication and
> >>use a cable.

> >>I still say, get rid of that complication (wireless) and try it
then.
> >>You may want to go back to wireless, but at least you will have
> >>located the problem.
> >>
> >>Much of troubleshooting is using your intelligence.

Wireless

PPPoE. The

> >>--
> >>Mark Lloyd
> >>has a Replay 5xxx
> >>http://go.to/notstupid
> >>http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
> >>
> >>"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
> >>paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
> >>anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
> >

> > ___________________________
> >
> > jpmis* speedfactory * net
> > ___________________________
>
> I'm guessing your Replay configuration is not correct. If you are
> connecting the replay via a wireless bridge to a router, the router
> should be doing all the DNS and PPoE work, the replay should be given

> the router's address as the DNS, ie: 192.168.0.1 (In the case of
D-Link
> routers among, I'm sure, others) You would only need to give the
Replay
> the ISP's dns address if it's connecting direct to the broadband
modem
> or using dial up

Hi John,

Here's something else to try. I use Verizon FIOS as my ISP but they
all use PPoE and my Replays stopped working after the switch. Mark is
right in assuming that your D-Link router will have the default address
of 192.168.0.1. It will also have a default username/password which
I'll give you if you'll e-mail me directly (for your protection). What
you'll want to do here just to take all of the factors out of the
equation is to specify your IP address on your ReplayTV. This is
accomplished through Menu-->Setup-->Network Settings-->Change to
Manual. Specify any IP address starting with 192.168.0, such as
192.168.0.100. Chances are, you previously had an IP address for the
Replay starting with 192.168.1. This would cause the problem you are
mentioning. Anyhow, unless you can log into your router (type
192.168.0.1 in your web browser) then you are dead-in-the-water. Let
me know how it goes!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:38:41 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:34:08 -0500, jpmist <bogus@apparently_fake.net>
wrote:

>In article <8us5u05loko82ift6u2ointb8j33460jb0@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> >Do you run PPPoE software on the computer, or is it built in to the
>> >router? If the former, then your computer is the only thing that can
>> >talk over the internet. You'd have to get a router that can do that,
>> >or, have your computer act as a router (yuck).
>> >
>> >My ISP (Verizon DSL) uses PPPoE, but the router handles it all
>> >transparently. I would have not switched over otherwise.
>>
>> And accessing the router interface would be a good way to determine
>> the WORKING DNS addresses.
>
>All I have to work with the Airport router is the Airport Admin Utility. I
>have two nice empty boxes where the DNS server numbers would be listed. . .

You're probably looking at settings. That's what you'd use if you had
a static IP (you have dynamic). Look for a status page.

>One other possiblity is that the Airport software might have gotten updated
>and is limiting access to the wireless bridge somehow.

Do you have a MAC filter enabled? If an update changed settings, it
would probably disable the MAC filter, but check anyway.

> Do bridges have ID's

Note that that's the MAC address.

>like "00:05:84:F7:06:EE" (for example)?

I think so. Try your Admin Utility. Another way is to check the MAC
addresses on all computers and Replays, then look for something else
in the router's DHCP table or MAC filter. Note that a router will have
2 MACs, one for LAN (your network) and one for WAN (the internet).

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

January 11, 2005 3:47:29 PM

A follow-up to my post above...

Also, be sure when you are specifying Manual settings for your ReplayTV
unit that you specify the following:

IP Address: 192.168.0.100
(or 101, 102, etc based on how many other devices are on your network.
Note that you may have to reconnect your wireless bridge to your PC and
make sure that it's configured to be compatible with these settings.
By this, I mean that your bridge will likely have an IP too that needs
to be set. So, for instance, I might leave the router at 192.168.0.1
and make the bridge 192.168.0.2)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
(assuming that your D-Link router is the "gateway" to your internet
connection; i.e. it's the last thing between your network and your wall
outlet)
DNS1: 192.168.0.1
DNS2: 192.168.0.2

Note that if you have many network devices (like I did), you can change
the router's IP address rather than all of your devices. So, for
instance, if all your devices already specify an IP address of
192.168.1.XXX, you would simply change your D-Link router to the
address 192.168.1.1.

Hope all this helps!

--Scott
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:02:47 PM

jpmist wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>--
>>Mark Lloyd
>>has a Replay 5xxx
>>http://go.to/notstupid
>>http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>
>>"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
>>paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
>>anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
>

> ___________________________
>
> jpmis* speedfactory * net
> ___________________________

I'm guessing your Replay configuration is not correct. If you are
connecting the replay via a wireless bridge to a router, the router
should be doing all the DNS and PPoE work, the replay should be given
the router's address as the DNS, ie: 192.168.0.1 (In the case of D-Link
routers among, I'm sure, others) You would only need to give the Replay
the ISP's dns address if it's connecting direct to the broadband modem
January 12, 2005 10:29:32 PM

Scott wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Here's something else to try. I use Verizon FIOS as my ISP but they
> all use PPoE and my Replays stopped working after the switch. Mark is
> right in assuming that your D-Link router will have the default address
> of 192.168.0.1. It will also have a default username/password which
> I'll give you if you'll e-mail me directly (for your protection). What
> you'll want to do here just to take all of the factors out of the
> equation is to specify your IP address on your ReplayTV. This is
> accomplished through Menu-->Setup-->Network Settings-->Change to
> Manual. Specify any IP address starting with 192.168.0, such as
> 192.168.0.100. Chances are, you previously had an IP address for the
> Replay starting with 192.168.1. This would cause the problem you are
> mentioning. Anyhow, unless you can log into your router (type
> 192.168.0.1 in your web browser) then you are dead-in-the-water. Let
> me know how it goes!

You are off a bit on your reply, I'm the one who mentioned the default
IP address for the D-link, (And selected other) routers (Linksys uses
something different btw, I know that one too), As for the default user
name and password... Those won't work on my D-link, though I do know the
password that will (I changed it)

And I use SBC-DSL as my ISP (also PPoE, with the D-Link 514 revision b
or c, (I've used both) and the replay works just fine, no problems at
all accepts the IP address I assigned it (192.168.0.100) and, in fact,
I'm watching it (remotely) as I type.

I got to admit, When it comes to remote controls the Replay has them all
beat, It's got 3 different remotes

1: (I/R) I can use when I'm close to it

2: (LAN) (DVArchive) I can use when I'm upstairs, as I am now)

3: (MyReplay.com) I can use.... From anywhere I can connect to the
internet!!!!)
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:29:33 PM

[snip]

>I got to admit, When it comes to remote controls the Replay has them all
>beat, It's got 3 different remotes
>
>1: (I/R) I can use when I'm close to it

I'm getting a remote that works with a RF-IR converter that has
multiple outputs. This should solve the problem of using the remote
with multiple Replays.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

January 12, 2005 11:30:50 PM

Thanks to all who replied. I'm officially throwing in the towel and am
plugging the Replay into the damn phone line.

Mark, I was never able to connect the Replay to my laptop via direct
ethernet. I've tried it in the past with no luck and tonight's results
weren't any different.

The crux of my problem is that I can't get to the configuration programs
embedded in either of the wireless bridges I have, Linksys WET 11, or
D-Link 810+ to check it's IP address and neither come with any Mac
compatible setup software. So I have to dig up a PC somehow. . .

Thanks again

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:20:15 AM

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> [snip]
>

>>I got to admit, When it comes to remote controls the Replay has them all
>>beat, It's got 3 different remotes
>>
>>1: (I/R) I can use when I'm close to it
>>

> I'm getting a remote that works with a RF-IR converter that has
> multiple outputs. This should solve the problem of using the remote
> with multiple Replays.
>

>>2: (LAN) (DVArchive) I can use when I'm upstairs, as I am now)
>>
>>3: (MyReplay.com) I can use.... From anywhere I can connect to the
>>internet!!!!)

I am familure with those as well (VCR-Rabbit is one such make, there are
others) and I have a wired version as well that runs from the basement
(Where the DVR is located) to the bedroom) (Where I am typing this) It's
used when I'm on the basement computer and wish to watch a video tape
(The VCR is next to this computer, DVR next to basement computers)

However nothing beats the versatility of the REPLAY with DVarchive and
MSIE (Alas the myreplay is not Gecko friendly, I prefer a non-msie
browser) but it's neat being able to schedule shows to record,,, from
elsewhere, And I do mean ELSEWHERE

Even when the shows conflict the Replay is handy because it will flag
them for me to program into one of my other (digital or otherwise)
recorders, And I've another Digital recorder card now as well.... It's
still in the box, but the price was right ($0.00 pls shipping, no
handling, in short, around 2 bucks)
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:28:54 AM

jpmist wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied. I'm officially throwing in the towel and am
> plugging the Replay into the damn phone line.
>
> Mark, I was never able to connect the Replay to my laptop via direct
> ethernet. I've tried it in the past with no luck and tonight's results
> weren't any different.
>
> The crux of my problem is that I can't get to the configuration programs
> embedded in either of the wireless bridges I have, Linksys WET 11, or
> D-Link 810+ to check it's IP address and neither come with any Mac
> compatible setup software. So I have to dig up a PC somehow. . .

Easiest way to do that is to set the replay to static IP, using the
D-link use IP of 192.168.0.100 (this is one the D-link shold NOT set)
then PING it from a networked computer (Open a DOS or Command prompt
window and type PING 192.168.0.100 and then press enter) Then
following the instructions on your Replay manual you request the MAC of
the last item pinged.

Type ARP -a in the same command window and again press ENTER

That will give you the MAC address... Example, here is mine
(Or rather an edit of mine, I changed the MAC)

C:\>ping 192.168.0.100

Pinging 192.168.0.100 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

C:\>ARP -a

Interface: 192.168.0.101 on Interface 0x3000003
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.0.100 00-0F-92-a3-ao-14 dynamic

Note, . . .101 is the address of the computer I'm using, when it's here
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:48:04 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:30:50 -0500, jpmist <bogus@apparently_fake.net>
wrote:

>Thanks to all who replied. I'm officially throwing in the towel and am
>plugging the Replay into the damn phone line.
>
>Mark, I was never able to connect the Replay to my laptop via direct
>ethernet. I've tried it in the past with no luck and tonight's results
>weren't any different.

You mean with no router or any other device? You may have to use
static IP at both ends, since you have no DHCP server.

BTW, when I got a Replay, I just plugged it into my router (not using
wireless at all) and it worked.

>The crux of my problem is that I can't get to the configuration programs
>embedded in either of the wireless bridges I have, Linksys WET 11, or
>D-Link 810+ to check it's IP address and neither come with any Mac
>compatible setup software. So I have to dig up a PC somehow. . .

Part of the reason I suggested a (much simpler) wired connection, at
least until you find the trouble.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

January 13, 2005 1:53:33 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:20:15 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> [snip]
>>

>>>I got to admit, When it comes to remote controls the Replay has them all
>>>beat, It's got 3 different remotes
>>>
>>>1: (I/R) I can use when I'm close to it
>>>

>> I'm getting a remote that works with a RF-IR converter that has
>> multiple outputs. This should solve the problem of using the remote
>> with multiple Replays.
>>

>>>2: (LAN) (DVArchive) I can use when I'm upstairs, as I am now)
>>>
>>>3: (MyReplay.com) I can use.... From anywhere I can connect to the
>>>internet!!!!)
>>

>I am familure with those as well (VCR-Rabbit is one such make, there are
>others) and I have a wired version as well that runs from the basement
>(Where the DVR is located) to the bedroom) (Where I am typing this) It's
>used when I'm on the basement computer and wish to watch a video tape
>(The VCR is next to this computer, DVR next to basement computers)

I had one of those once (it used a twisted pair, such as phoneline).
It worked as it should. The wireless ones are too subject to
interferance (and you get a free "microwave oven in use" indicator).

>However nothing beats the versatility of the REPLAY with DVarchive and
>MSIE (Alas the myreplay is not Gecko friendly, I prefer a non-msie
>browser) but it's neat being able to schedule shows to record,,, from
>elsewhere, And I do mean ELSEWHERE

DVArchive has no trouble with Firefox.

>Even when the shows conflict the Replay is handy because it will flag
>them for me to program into one of my other (digital or otherwise)
>recorders,

One of the first things I do in the morning is check that list, and
manually schedule the important ones. It's a good thing the "every
never" bugs in DVArchive have been fixed (bugs in 3.0, fixed in 3.1).

> And I've another Digital recorder card now as well.... It's
>still in the box, but the price was right ($0.00 pls shipping, no
>handling, in short, around 2 bucks)

Replays are better for that, but you got a good deal.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

January 13, 2005 11:46:58 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> DVArchive has no trouble with Firefox.

Perhaps I was less than precise, DVArchive, could care less what browser
you use (it is not affected at all by what browser) but Myreplaytv.com,
the web site you can go to to tell your replay what you want recorded
(tomorrow) so it picks up the request at it's daily network login....
That is the site that reqires MSIE, It won't work with FireFox or
Mozilla. A couple of us have tried it, you can not schedule shows to
record as the drop down menu on that web site does not work

Has nothing to do with DVA though, which is a program running on YOUR
computer. This is a remote site operated by the folks who bring us
Replay TV. Complaints have been lodged with the webmaster.

>>Even when the shows conflict the Replay is handy because it will flag
>>them for me to program into one of my other (digital or otherwise)
>>recorders,
>

> One of the first things I do in the morning is check that list, and
> manually schedule the important ones. It's a good thing the "every
> never" bugs in DVArchive have been fixed (bugs in 3.0, fixed in 3.1).
>

>> And I've another Digital recorder card now as well.... It's
>>still in the box, but the price was right ($0.00 pls shipping, no
>>handling, in short, around 2 bucks)
>

> Replays are better for that, but you got a good deal.

Fully agree on both counts.... The Replay is much nicer, but it has a
bit of a problme when you want to record 2 or 3 or more shows at the
same time... Which is why I have the ATI:TV-Wonder card, and the new
WIN-Tv card, and a VCR or 3 in reserve.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:48:32 AM

> both ways)
>
> This means that half the reason I got a 5040 is broken. While I really
> appreciate the commercial skip I can't offload shows I tape and I really
> liked being able to do that. Basically this forces me to look into other
> ways of offloading programs from my DTV which considering the hazy future
> of Replay was something I'd have to do sooner or later.

You obviously know as much about Replay as you do networking a Mac. LOL
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:54:43 PM

In article <ms4ou05798p4ekbkkckr5gajgt9rkiop7c@4ax.com>,
Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> It used to be not allowed to do that (connect a Replay only to a
> computer, no internet on ethernet), but this was corrected in a
> software upgrade. The 55xx manual contains instructions for this on
> the bottom of page 15.
>
> You set it up for phoneline access, then do the following (copied from
> 55xx manual):
>
> ****
>
> 1. Plug your PC and ReplayTV into your hub/switch.
>
> 2. Manually enter the network settings for the network card in your
> PC.
>
> When set up to use the phone line, ReplayTV defaults to the following
> IP address range: 192.168.0.x. Set the IP address and Subnet mask on
> your PC to 192.168.0.100 and 255.255.255.0. If you don't know how to
> enter the IP address on your network card, consult Windows Help or the
> documentation for your network card. See "Installing ReplayTV Photo
> Transfer" on page 49 to view photos on your ReplayTV.

You're a tough nut to crack, Mark, just won't take no for an answer. <grin>

You mention that a Replay formerly was not able to connect solely thru an
ethernet connection and that gives me pause. When I first got the Replay
several years ago, I though I was able to do exactly that but I may have
been mistaken in that I was on-line as well.

As my network is set up now, I can't connect via ethernet to anything and
be online via my wireless network at the same time. It's either or. So
perhaps I haven't been able to connect directly because I'm not online.

Looking at my Airport router settings there's a checkbox for "Enabling DHCP
server on Ethernet" So what the heck I checked it. . . (Hey, I can ping the
Replay. Yippee) Tried setting the ethernet on DHCP and the Replay to
automatically find an IP and guess what, it didn't work. . .

Ah ha, there's a PPPoE setting for the ethernet, let's try that. . . Well
that didn't work either. . .

What the heck, let's plug in a wireless bridge, maybe the ethernet DHCP did
something. Nope, neither box will get an automatic net setting. Can't ping
to 192.168.0.100 like I did with the ethernet cable. That's all folks. . .

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:55:41 PM

In article <o9XGd.18892$by5.15853@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> What software are you using to try and access your replay? And what router?

Thanks, John, that's not the issue, I can't get a network connection to the
Replay, so the software is a moot point. . .

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:57:42 PM

In article <RcydnUSu08CtPnHcRVn-3Q@comcast.com>,
Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > both ways)
> >
> > This means that half the reason I got a 5040 is broken. While I really
> > appreciate the commercial skip I can't offload shows I tape and I really
> > liked being able to do that. Basically this forces me to look into other
> > ways of offloading programs from my DTV which considering the hazy future
> > of Replay was something I'd have to do sooner or later.
> >
> You obviously know as much about Replay as you do networking a Mac. LOL

Tony, my email address is below if you'd like to make any more funny
comments at my expense to me personally. . .

___________________________

jpmis* speedfactory * net
___________________________
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:28:43 AM

jpmist wrote:
> In article <ms4ou05798p4ekbkkckr5gajgt9rkiop7c@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>

>>It used to be not allowed to do that (connect a Replay only to a
>>computer, no internet on ethernet), but this was corrected in a
>>software upgrade. The 55xx manual contains instructions for this on
>>the bottom of page 15.
>>
>>You set it up for phoneline access, then do the following (copied from
>>55xx manual):
>>
>>****
>>
>>1. Plug your PC and ReplayTV into your hub/switch.
>>
>>2. Manually enter the network settings for the network card in your
>>PC.
>>
>>When set up to use the phone line, ReplayTV defaults to the following
>>IP address range: 192.168.0.x. Set the IP address and Subnet mask on
>>your PC to 192.168.0.100 and 255.255.255.0. If you don't know how to
>>enter the IP address on your network card, consult Windows Help or the
>>documentation for your network card. See "Installing ReplayTV Photo
>>Transfer" on page 49 to view photos on your ReplayTV.
>

> You're a tough nut to crack, Mark, just won't take no for an answer. <grin>
>
> You mention that a Replay formerly was not able to connect solely thru an
> ethernet connection and that gives me pause. When I first got the Replay
> several years ago, I though I was able to do exactly that but I may have
> been mistaken in that I was on-line as well.
>
> As my network is set up now, I can't connect via ethernet to anything and
> be online via my wireless network at the same time. It's either or. So
> perhaps I haven't been able to connect directly because I'm not online.
>
> Looking at my Airport router settings there's a checkbox for "Enabling DHCP
> server on Ethernet" So what the heck I checked it. . . (Hey, I can ping the
> Replay. Yippee) Tried setting the ethernet on DHCP and the Replay to
> automatically find an IP and guess what, it didn't work. . .
>
> Ah ha, there's a PPPoE setting for the ethernet, let's try that. . . Well
> that didn't work either. . .
>
> What the heck, let's plug in a wireless bridge, maybe the ethernet DHCP did
> something. Nope, neither box will get an automatic net setting. Can't ping
> to 192.168.0.100 like I did with the ethernet cable. That's all folks. . .
>
> ___________________________
>
> jpmis* speedfactory * net
> ___________________________

If you are using a router.. Enable DCHP on the router, DO NOT enable
PPoE on the replay, If the router is connected to a DSL modem then the
Router does all the PPoE work you will have to tell the router your user
name and password and to use PPoE. But the Replay (And any computers
plugged into the router) simply use TCP/IP, no PPoE

If you are using a cable modem... Then you do not use PPoE at all,
anywhere (I administer one of each)
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:35:09 AM

jpmist wrote:
> In article <o9XGd.18892$by5.15853@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>What software are you using to try and access your replay? And what router?
>

> Thanks, John, that's not the issue, I can't get a network connection to the
> Replay, so the software is a moot point. . .
>
> ___________________________
>
> jpmis* speedfactory * net
> ___________________________

Describe your network... Here is mine

Modem---- SpeedStream DSL To Router

Router D-Link DI-514 to computers

Computers, 1: Replay 5504, IP address 192.168.0.100 (Set static in DCHP
on the router)

Laptop.... Ip address ends in 101

Main (Windows xp) IP address ends in 102

Linux Ip address ends in 103

I can not see the linux machine with the windows boxes or the other way
around however I can ping it, and I can ping the replay from any machine

Now, all computers have DVArchive and DVArchive can see the Replay, move
shows from it, remote control it, and otherwise play with it.

The Replay can see the modem and use it to "call home" for listing and
other updates (So can the computers)

PPoE is set up on the D-Link, I removed PPoE drivers from all computers
save the Linux (never enabled on it) since it's not needed.

Laptop also logs in wireless if I wish, (different IP address)

I use Mac Address filters and static DCHP for all devices, this is my
option however

One word of caution.. If using a router, and Belkin cables DO NOT USE A
YELLOW CABLE (other makers may color code differently) Red, Blue, Black
, White, Green, all ok, but DO NOT USE YELLOW

Belkin uses YELLOW to indicate the cable is a crossover cable (Would be
used to connect two computers direct to each other without a Router or
switch)
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:08:53 PM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:54:43 -0500, jpmist <bogus@apparently_fake.net>
wrote:

>In article <ms4ou05798p4ekbkkckr5gajgt9rkiop7c@4ax.com>,
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> It used to be not allowed to do that (connect a Replay only to a
>> computer, no internet on ethernet), but this was corrected in a
>> software upgrade. The 55xx manual contains instructions for this on
>> the bottom of page 15.
>>
>> You set it up for phoneline access, then do the following (copied from
>> 55xx manual):
>>
>> ****
>>
>> 1. Plug your PC and ReplayTV into your hub/switch.
>>
>> 2. Manually enter the network settings for the network card in your
>> PC.
>>
>> When set up to use the phone line, ReplayTV defaults to the following
>> IP address range: 192.168.0.x. Set the IP address and Subnet mask on
>> your PC to 192.168.0.100 and 255.255.255.0. If you don't know how to
>> enter the IP address on your network card, consult Windows Help or the
>> documentation for your network card. See "Installing ReplayTV Photo
>> Transfer" on page 49 to view photos on your ReplayTV.
>
>You're a tough nut to crack, Mark, just won't take no for an answer. <grin>
>
>You mention that a Replay formerly was not able to connect solely thru an
>ethernet connection

I never said that. That works fine, as long as you have an internet
connection on the network. I have had a 5080 for almost 2 years and it
has NEVER had a phone connection (I use cable internet).

What I said was that it couldn't connect thru an ethernet connection
AND use dial-up at the same time.

> and that gives me pause. When I first got the Replay
>several years ago, I though I was able to do exactly that but I may have
>been mistaken in that I was on-line as well.
>
>As my network is set up now, I can't connect via ethernet to anything and
>be online via my wireless network at the same time. It's either or. So
>perhaps I haven't been able to connect directly because I'm not online.
>
>Looking at my Airport router settings there's a checkbox for "Enabling DHCP
>server on Ethernet" So what the heck I checked it. . . (Hey, I can ping the
>Replay. Yippee) Tried setting the ethernet on DHCP and the Replay to
>automatically find an IP and guess what, it didn't work. . .
>
>Ah ha, there's a PPPoE setting for the ethernet, let's try that. . . Well
>that didn't work either. . .
>
>What the heck, let's plug in a wireless bridge, maybe the ethernet DHCP did
>something. Nope, neither box will get an automatic net setting. Can't ping
>to 192.168.0.100 like I did with the ethernet cable. That's all folks. . .

I don't know much about wireless, but I know enough to know that it
involves a LARGE amount of additional complexity. Get your Replay
working with a wired ethernet connection, THEN add wireless if you
want to.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx