Sign in with
Your question

Low GPU and CPU usage in all games?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2013 8:26:04 AM

Hi guys , i purchased a new gaming laptop with these specs : i7 2670-QM (4 cores 8 threads), HD 7690 M XT and 8GB Ram , the problem is that while playing ANY GAME i get low resource usage both GPU and CPU (cpu never goes up to 25% while the gpu never goes above 70%)
I'm using catalyst 13.1 and i unparked all my cores.
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance to everyone :) 
January 31, 2013 9:46:55 AM

That is good for the life of your equipment. If you can play your games satisfactorily at those percentages, what else do you want ? The key point is, you must take great pleasure while you are playing your games, high frame rates, etc.. If you are satisfied, then there is nothing to complain about. Do not keep a constant eye on the hardware monitors, cpu, gpu, temperature, voltage, etc.

How much percentage of your RAM do you use ?

If you really want to go up to 100% of CPU and GPU utilization, you can increase detail level of your settings, such as higher antialiasing value, etc..

If you want to check your system, you can use this: http://www.ocbase.com/

Regards
January 31, 2013 9:58:25 AM

Thanks for the response , anyways i wouldn't complain if i had playable framerates , i tried changing game settings and even on lowest graphics i get a very small difference in framerate while the resource usage is still the same
Related resources
January 31, 2013 10:52:16 AM

Yes i have Windows 7 i installed all available updates from windows update , and i updated my DirectX when the component setup popped up during a game installation
January 31, 2013 11:41:43 AM

What is the make of the notebook ? Toshiba, Acer, etc. ? Which version display driver was installed when you got the notebook ?

EDIT: Sorry did not check your link before. It is DELL.

EDIT: Specs are different. Your notebook is different from the one whose link you gave.
January 31, 2013 1:31:53 PM

suat said:
What is the make of the notebook ? Toshiba, Acer, etc. ? Which version display driver was installed when you got the notebook ?

EDIT: Sorry did not check your link before. It is DELL.

EDIT: Specs are different. Your notebook is different from the one whose link you gave.

I think there is a mistake , my notebook is an HP dv7 entertainment notebook and ... which links are talking about ? I haven't linked anything nor specified my PC maker, i'm kinda confused right now.
January 31, 2013 3:56:06 PM

If you click on gaming laptop in your first post above, it takes you to Dell gaming laptop.
a c 180 à CPUs
January 31, 2013 4:10:55 PM

suat said:
If you want to check your system, you can use this: http://www.ocbase.com/

It seems our favorite torture testing tool (OCCT) is detected by many notebooks and it prevents the CPU / GPU from running "full tilt". had same thing happen to me on my last Lappie purchase .... called vendor and was told about the detection scheme but oddly enough, I also experienced this on my son's desktop w/ twin cards in SLI.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20101109/nvidia-geforce-gtx-580-...

Quote:
But the real new thing is somewhere else: the power draw is now under strict control. Like AMD with the Radeon HD 5000 series (see ATI Cypress (Radeon HD 5870) Cards Have Hardware Protection Against Power Virus Like FurMark and OCCT), NVIDIA has added dedicated hardware to limit the power draw. And still like AMD with the Catalyst drivers (see FurMark Slowdown by Catalyst Graphics Drivers is INtentional!), there are some optimizations in ForceWare R262.xx when FurMark (or OCCT) is detected

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090916/furmark-slowdown-by-cat...

I can be diasbled with GPU-Z but I don't know how far nVidia and AMD go in thsir egard ...which cards are affected and which not.

TechSupport for my lappie said it detects OCCT and throttles it but apparently it's just fine with Furmark..... which I confirmed by running it.
January 31, 2013 4:13:57 PM

suat said:
If you click on gaming laptop in your first post above, it takes you to Dell gaming laptop.

Wow , really? It doesnt show me a link on that word .. strange. Didn't find some solution yet
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2013 4:34:12 PM

suat said:

this site uses weird text-ads that creates random links on certain key words completely at random it seems...
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2013 6:42:14 PM

suat said:

This is off topic but that seems like its a browser setting or a toolbar. Only seen this on internet explorer or on some systems with some of those search tool bars.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2013 9:25:09 PM

mouse24 said:
This is off topic but that seems like its a browser setting or a toolbar. Only seen this on internet explorer or on some systems with some of those search tool bars.

I'm using FF with adblock and I'm seeing them as well, no toolbars here. They are rare though and they only started showing up maybe a month or two ago.
edit not on this thread though, I'm not seeing the one in op nor anywhere else for that matter.
February 2, 2013 11:13:02 AM

So does anyone have a solution for this issue? I'm getting really tired and upset for my low frames in every game :|
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2013 12:24:38 PM

well for starters you have 8 threads available, not many games can use even 4, most can only use 2 threads efficiently. If the game can only use 2 threads and maxes those then the cpu load would be 25%, making it cpu limited and not being able to max the cpu...
anyway I assume you have set the power settings to max performance etc
February 2, 2013 4:34:50 PM

Yes i am always useing max performance power settings... anyways what should i do? Set core affinity to just 2 cores? i already tried that but no performance increase nor drop in fps also tried overclocking gpu from 725 core clock to 800 not much of an improvement if not of 2-3 fps but getting lower performance after 1 hour of playtime...
i don't know if someone else has this kind of issue and if is solvable i really dont know what to do right now :/ 
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2013 4:46:37 PM

i don't know if it will help, but you could disable hyperthreading. That way it won't assign two threads on the same physical core, not even by mistake.
!