Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hi, this is the system i have at the moment:

Corsair CMPSU-400CXUK 400W Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 770 Socket AM2+ 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
athlon 64 x2 dual core 4200+ (2.2ghz).
radeon 4650
4gb ram

I want to upgrade my graphics card but i would like to know the best graphics card i can get that my power supply can handle.

Please help.

Xttony

Distinguished
The best graphics card your power supply can handle is an hd7870 but the thing is that your processor will bottleneck the graphics card. So get a hd7770 or as Alvin's said a HD 7750.

goonbar79

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
CMPSU-400CXUK looks like a decent PSU, performing up to 400W spec. I would check PSU usage with current setup (http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp), and see how much more room you have as far as total wattage needed is concerned.

I would try to max around 70~80% of total PSU Wattage (~ roughtly 300W for your PSU). That means majority of the recent graphics cards, around low~ mid range should be okay.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
I think you'll be happy with a GTX 660. It has a performance profile somewhere between the HD 7850 and HD 7870, and to top it off, it sips power (only 140W TDP), AND being Nvidia, it scales better with slower CPUs (not as reliant on CPU performance).

Although, sooner or later, you might upgrade the board+CPU, then the GTX 660 will transplant right in your new hermit shell.

I'm not sure I'd run a HD7870 on it, but a HD7850 should be safe. Still, as Xttony pointed out, your CPU will bottleneck a powerful graphics card. Unless you anticipate moving it into a future rebuild, the strongest card I would recommend for you is a HD7770 or GTX650Ti.

bhoona

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I would like the hd7770. But i think it might need a power connector and i don't know if my power supply has the power connector it needs.

I'm just trying that power usage link just now, thanks.

Xttony

Distinguished
It needs a 6pin power connector if you don't have a connector go for a HD 7750 it doesnot need any external power connector. It draws the power from the pcie slot itself.

bhoona

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Ok i need to have a look in my computer and see if its got that connector. Actually been looking at the GTX 650Ti and i might go for that. I've been wanting to switch to nvidia as a few of the games i've been playing had driver problems with radeon cards.

If i go for the GTX 650Ti is there any particular brands that are better than others or just go for the cheapest?
Also, there is a 1gb and 2gb version, does the double memory use up much more power and is it worth getting?

Xttony

Distinguished
Go for the HD7770 it is much cheaper.
Anyway if you go with the GTX 650TI go with the cheapest one, and no having double ram doesnot affect much on the power supply.

pit_1209

Distinguished

In any way is worth getting a gtx 650ti with 2 gb, it will be necessary in 1080p+ resolutions, a lot of antialiasing, eyefinity setups and a couple of games like bf 3 or crysis 2 that like a lot of vram and remember that neither nvidia is free of driver issues.

Really not much reason to get more than 1 gb on a gtx 650 Ti... You will not be getting playable FPS if you have AA turned up high enough to use much more than 1 gb on a 1080p monitor. That being said if the 2 gb version is only $5-10 more get it. I would recommend stepping up to the GTX 660 anyway. Here is a fairly cheap one with a decent cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500270

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
The 2GB version will not only be no faster than the 1GB one.
It will be slower.
That's due to higher latency on the memory and the fact that a lot of memory is useless on a low end graphics card anyway.

pit_1209

Distinguished

I didn´t explain myself correctly, there´s no reason to buy a gtx 650 ti 2 gb. :??:

Lol ok, I was wondering what you were trying to say, your wording was... well... hard to understand hah.