Sign in with
Your question

XFX 7970 Double D Black Edition

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2013 1:14:43 PM

Hi!

I bought a XFX 7970 Double D Black Edition and many many games crash..
(The graphics driver not answer)

Games list:

-Need For Speed Most Wanted 2
-Far Cry 3
-Lucius
-W.O.W.
-Dishonored
-and other

Driver's version is CCC 13.1

PSU: AX1200i
Mobo: Asus P8P67
CPU: 2600k @4Ghz
RAM: 16Gb @1600mhz

I test disable overclock cpu but it's not that.

If i down the frequence of 7970 to 7970 stock (no black edition) the games don't crash.

I need your help! Buy a Black Edition is useless with frequence at stock...

Thanks and sorry for my bad english =/
February 6, 2013 7:07:34 AM

Sounds like a faulty card i would send it back. If you don't want to do that i would try upping the voltage to get the factory OC stable.
February 6, 2013 1:05:22 PM

Thanks for your reply!

I would try upping the voltage but I think the voltage is locked.. MSI AfterBurner or Trixx or other won't change the voltage =/
Any idea ? or test send the card back ?

Thanks for your help!
Related resources
February 6, 2013 3:10:11 PM

julbart said:
Thanks for your reply!

I would try upping the voltage but I think the voltage is locked.. MSI AfterBurner or Trixx or other won't change the voltage =/
Any idea ? or test send the card back ?

Thanks for your help!

Make sure you have the latest amd drivers and if it still messes up then send it back unless someone else here knows a different solution.
February 6, 2013 3:56:15 PM

I have the latest amd drivers and i test reinstall the Windows.. I think send it back unless someone else here knows a different solution.
February 6, 2013 6:23:57 PM

Before you send it back ...

have you tested other components? I had relatively random crashes in lots of games in one of my kids' systems in the past 6 weeks. Everything seemed to suggest the video card was the problem given it would blue screen in almost all games within 2-5 minutes. I thought for a long time it was the card with an intermittent error. In the end, I went through piece by piece to check other components and found a badly seated memory stick was the problem - causing intermittent/random bsod's, especially under the load of gaming.

I'm not saying it's not your video card, but I'd run other tests first. Check CPU temp and shut-down threshold. Turn off auto-reboot and see if you get bsod codes that provide clues. Above all, get hold of a bootable MemTest and put it on a stick drive or CD and boot from it and let it run overnight. If the MemTest is clean and the other parts check out (temps, etc) then I would reasonably conclude it's the video card or a mobo problem.

In that case, find another video card to test.

Good luck.
February 7, 2013 5:07:44 PM

Thanks for your reply!

I have a XFX 6970 and I don't have any problem with it..
But I'll going run a memtest for test.

After it's maybe the mobo (P8P67 LE) because it's a "cheap" mobo.. and perhaps the pci-e doesn't support hight frequency.. I don't know..

I think send it and buy two XFX 7970 Ghz for crossfire, but I fear it is like that Black Edition..
February 10, 2013 2:28:05 PM

So I have run a memtest and a memory stick is dead (many error).

I removed it and disable CPU overclock but games crash always with "Black Edition frequency"...
!