January 31, 2013 1:21:26 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased Gigabyte GTX 660 TI for a new build for my friend:

Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V LK
RAM 4GB x 2 Gskill ripjaws 1600
CPU I5 3470 Ivy Bridge
PSU Raidmax Hybrid RX-630W
Gigabyte GTX 660 ti gv-n66twf2-2gd

After succesful Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installation and all the updates I installed few games and play them just for a few seconds to make sure thay work. All seemed fine.

The next day I played Shogun Total War for maybe a minute or so and the screen got black and sytem crashed and I got an error: display driver nvidia mode kernel has stopped working and has succesfully recovered. I tried again same story I tried other games, same story again. I started doing research and i found out to be common problem so I did some solving - new fresh drivers, old beta drivers - all possible drivers:)  Finally i gave up and reinstall whole windows but same thing is happening.

Somebody said to increse slightly the voltage on the card and i did that too using OC Guru II. Did not help. I double checked the BIOS and it was newest version - still the same.

Finally I decided to start swapping parts from my build which has same MB, GSKILL RAM RIPJAWS 2133, same CPU, PSU 750W Corsair and Gigabyte GTX670

First i chnaged the PSU sice i wqs worried about the power but that did not help. I changed RAM still nothing finally i changed Video Card - and BAM there u go worked like a charm. So next i put all the parts back to my build but with the new video card and same problem again :( 

My guess is it must be the video card (obviously :)  and i already contacted Gigabyte technical support. However, i know from reviews that this might be a lenghty process so i was wondering if anybody has any ideas for possible solutions other than RMA.

Thanks

Somebody said to

More about : gigabyte gtx 660 n66twf2 2gd display driver mode kernel error

a c 174 U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 7:16:40 AM

psychowix said:
Hello,

I recently purchased Gigabyte GTX 660 TI for a new build for my friend:

Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V LK
RAM 4GB x 2 Gskill ripjaws 1600
CPU I5 3470 Ivy Bridge
PSU Raidmax Hybrid RX-630W
Gigabyte GTX 660 ti gv-n66twf2-2gd

After succesful Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installation and all the updates I installed few games and play them just for a few seconds to make sure thay work. All seemed fine.

The next day I played Shogun Total War for maybe a minute or so and the screen got black and sytem crashed and I got an error: display driver nvidia mode kernel has stopped working and has succesfully recovered. I tried again same story I tried other games, same story again. I started doing research and i found out to be common problem so I did some solving - new fresh drivers, old beta drivers - all possible drivers:)  Finally i gave up and reinstall whole windows but same thing is happening.

Somebody said to increse slightly the voltage on the card and i did that too using OC Guru II. Did not help. I double checked the BIOS and it was newest version - still the same.

Finally I decided to start swapping parts from my build which has same MB, GSKILL RAM RIPJAWS 2133, same CPU, PSU 750W Corsair and Gigabyte GTX670

First i chnaged the PSU sice i wqs worried about the power but that did not help. I changed RAM still nothing finally i changed Video Card - and BAM there u go worked like a charm. So next i put all the parts back to my build but with the new video card and same problem again :( 

My guess is it must be the video card (obviously :)  and i already contacted Gigabyte technical support. However, i know from reviews that this might be a lenghty process so i was wondering if anybody has any ideas for possible solutions other than RMA.

Thanks

Somebody said to

hey, i have that problem with my gigabyte card too, and doing a bit of a google it seems there are a few of us with gigabyte cards crashing at stock clocks. I found underclocking the card's boost clock reduced the crashing frequency. There is also a bios fix called Kepler Golden BIOS, you can change the voltage and power limit of the card. The voltage adjustment in software like afterburner doesnt do anything. I personally thing there is a problem with the stock OC on this card that gigabyte have not picked up. I'm going to play around a bit with settings but im thinking of doing a RMA. Crashes mainly with crysis 2 and 3, display driver errors, or windows unexpected errors crash to desktop.
February 12, 2013 12:42:03 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
hey, i have that problem with my gigabyte card too, and doing a bit of a google it seems there are a few of us with gigabyte cards crashing at stock clocks. I found underclocking the card's boost clock reduced the crashing frequency. There is also a bios fix called Kepler Golden BIOS, you can change the voltage and power limit of the card. The voltage adjustment in software like afterburner doesnt do anything. I personally thing there is a problem with the stock OC on this card that gigabyte have not picked up. I'm going to play around a bit with settings but im thinking of doing a RMA. Crashes mainly with crysis 2 and 3, display driver errors, or windows unexpected errors crash to desktop.

I'm one of us! Same card, same problems! Tried underclocking and it lasted a little longer, but still crashes.
Have you RMA'd? Or found a definite fix? :) 
Related resources
a c 174 U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 3:12:34 AM

boacabelo said:
I'm one of us! Same card, same problems! Tried underclocking and it lasted a little longer, but still crashes.
Have you RMA'd? Or found a definite fix? :) 

i have been stuffing around with it a lot, trying different motherboard settings, drivers, etc. I have recently gone back to driver 305.27 as i read a thread that anything over 306.xx can give these direct x and nvidia driver errors. So far so good, played a lot of crysis 2 last night with no crash after going back to this driver. I will be emailing gigabyte and nvidia and hopefully a fix can be made for this since recent drivers dont work. Either that or i want to throw away this card and get gigabyte to replace it, i will be requesting not to have it replaced with the same model, but with the equivelantly priced 7870. Had enough of this card already.
February 13, 2013 4:08:09 AM

Same issue here but different brand.. mine is Zotac 660 ti amp! edition. i just underclocked mine and the issue was fixed. However i will request for RMA since it is not normal.
February 14, 2013 2:19:14 PM

I think my problems are gone.. at least so far!

Any one else experiencing these crashes, take a look at the fix at the bottom of this thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/528758/geforce...

I'm still having trouble believing it's finally gone. Just amazing :D 
To be sure, I even overclocked cpu and memory frequencies (1248mhz and 6608mhz) and let OCCT running all night: not a single error :D 

EDIT: nah.. still crashing. Sorry for the false alarm.
a c 174 U Graphics card
February 14, 2013 8:03:12 PM

i have not had a problem since reverting to 305 drivers. I will try that fix in that link though. Sounds like the driver package is not installing properly and that is a workaround.
February 18, 2013 1:36:27 AM

I tried using 305 drivers. It worked for three days and then... crash :/ 
!