Sign in with
Your question

Active/Passive Cooling Necessary???

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 10, 2002 5:48:20 PM

I am going to purchase a stick of 256mb Kingmax pc2700 ddr to go in my Soltek DRV5 board and thought about also purchasing either Thermaltakes active or passive cooling system(leaning toward active..only $11.00). How hot does this memory run and is the cooling really necessary. I am not an overclocker(atleast for now!!) so would I even need this or would it atleast extent the life of the memory?? Thanks.

More about : active passive cooling

March 11, 2002 4:58:52 PM

No, you don't need it. It might extend the life of the memory from 5 years to 5 1/2 years.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 15, 2002 11:12:09 PM

Thanks...any other opinions here?? I purchased the active cooling ThermalTake unit (it was only 11.00) figuring if nothing else atleast it wouldn't harm anything. Should I even bother putting it on? Anyone have horror stories to share?? Just curious.
March 20, 2002 6:12:25 AM

dont need It running spec!!!! but if You going to overclock you need it! for exaple there arereviews stating the passave cooler only make a 1 C. Diffrerence but the active would probubly be about 2 C cooler .. could make the ram more stable at higher clock rates... But if you have a modded case .. they look cool ..

:cool: <font color=blue>The Hardware Junkie</font color=blue> :cool:
!