GT650M is dissapointing me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mzmkont

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hello everybody.
So as you can see Ive got a problem with my Graphic card. Its Nvidia GT650M GDDR5 2GB. I thought this Graphic card is a beast but... I have problems. Quite a lot. First of all:
My spec:
HP DV6-7000
Intel i7 3610QM
GT650M GDDR5 2GB
16GB RAM
750GB 7200RPM
So yeah. I think these spec for a laptop are good. So yeah. I bought this computer on september. It was a beast. Now I have this problem with my FPS. Like. I ran Counter-Strike Test that tests your GPU. I ran it and got 88FPS. (Everything high) In game I get about 70fps.. Furmark 13fps. Battery settings is set to high performance. In Nvidia Control Panel everything is default but I changed PhysX to GT650 and preffered graphics processor GT650M too. And in the first page settings are set to Balanced. So yeah.. Temperatures are about 80 when playing. I dont know what to do. Am I expecting too much from my video card? Or should I overlock it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9yul-DOQ4o In this game my video card is not even close btw it should run it much better. So yeah. What should I do?
Thank you for your replys and help guys :)

Why would you think it's a beast?

The normal, desktop 650 can get playable framerates in most games in medium at 1080p. The mobile version is even MORE underpowered, and will have to run most games at low.

Overclocking IS a possibility, but it'll produce way more heat, so you'll need a cooler. (I think all in all you are expecting too much, though. Just play games at settings that let you play with 60 fps and you'll be okay.)

you're expecting too much out of the video card...laptop parts are slower because of the lower power consumption and lower temps

if you want to game sell the laptop and build yourself a desktop. tom's community will be more than happy to help you make a list of compatible parts and walk you thru the build process.

no dont overclock anything in laptops as they have limited aiflow inside meaning if you make your card run faster it will create more heat and the laptop is not designed for that so ur risking damaging something inside

Mzmkont

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks. Now i understand :D Yeah. Would you recommend to overlock it a little? I have a cooler. Zalman. So. Can somebody give me some settings how much should overlock it?

Rafterman414

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron 17R SE with GT 650m 2GB GDDR5. I OCd the Core Clock boost + 135 MHz, Memory + 300 MHz. Under load I get around 76-80 Degrees, before OC around 74 Degrees.

Mzmkont

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Amm.. Im noob so :D What does OC mean? Overlock? And did u use MSI Afterburner? And. Can u like give me some tips in private message? Thanks :)

MC_K7

Distinguished
Exactly what I was going to say. Even in a desktop the GT-650 is not a fast card, so the crippled mobile 650M version should be even slower. Not what I call a beast. Even overclocked don't expect to squeeze too much performance out of it.

I'll give the same advise I give to everyone who wants to game on a laptop: Don't do it. Instead of spending 2000$ on a gaming laptop, you're better off spending 1000$ on a gaming tower it will give you much more performance. Then you can spend 500$ on a cheap laptop if you need mobility or bring it to school, and you can game at home on your gaming tower. It will cost you only 1500$ and you'll get 2 computers and have a much better gaming experience.

But if you absolutely need to game on the road it will cost you a lot of money to have a decent gaming laptop and the performance will never be close to a tower that cost only half or even one-third of the price.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Here's an example of a good gaming laptop, it's a little cheaper than I thought starting at 1500$ but it can increase quickly over 2000$ depending on the options you select:

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-m17x-r4/pd

In a desktop you can get the following specs for around 1000$:

- i5-3570K
- 8 GB RAM
- GPU: Radeon 7870 or 7950 or a GeForce 660-Ti or 670, etc...
- A Decent PSU
- A Decent gaming case
- Etc...

That's assuming you already have a monitor, but even so, monitors are getting cheaper and cheaper, even 27" are getting affordable nowadays.

Anyways, that desktop will give you a superior gaming experience for about half the price of the laptop.

*** Edit: I realize I forgot to ask you what games you're playing or which ones are you planning to play during next year? I see you mentioned Counter-Strike in your original post, but that's a really old game. If you only play old games like this no need to change your current laptop it's fine. Especially if you get 88 FPS that's more than enough, the human-eye has trouble to discern anything beyond 60 FPS anyways.

OC is overclock, you keep saying overlock. Clock refers to hz.

Here's some more benchmarks. It'll play most games on med-high but that is at 1366x768. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html If you aren't getting fps like this than there is an issue but I suspect you were just expecting too much. It is just a mid range laptop gpu. People need to stop comparing desktop and laptop components just because they have the same number. They are obviously not the same.

Don't bring in "max fps your eye can see" discussions, it is too situational since your eyes don't see in frames. Most likely your monitor is only 60hz so that is all you are being shown.

Mzmkont

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Amm. I think you dont understand me. Like. After .exe files (not shortcuts) I get .exe
After .txt files I get .txt After .bat files I get .bat So yeah.
Is there a fix?

To hide extensions go to any folder and press alt. A toolbar should show, (file, edit, view, tools, help) press tools, then folder options. In the view tab check mark hide extensions for known file types.

Mzmkont

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Im not unsastified. I just dont know some stuff and I ask here. :) I really like my laptop. I know its not the best but still. I think Im going to OC it. Any ideas? How much should I OC it? And. Whick program should I use. Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner?

Status
Not open for further replies.