Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with roommate traffic

Last response: in Networking
March 6, 2012 8:08:55 PM

Hello, i have a actiontec router. He has his switch connected to a ethernet port on the router. He streams stuff from xbox, ps3, etc, and it kills latency. How can i set that ethernet port to be on different broadcast domain, or something that makes it not affect my latency so much?
Thanks,
TB

More about : roommate traffic

March 6, 2012 8:42:12 PM

If your router has QoS you can reduce his priority and increase your level -- look at your manual for the details.
m
l
March 7, 2012 1:56:54 PM

Thats kinda looking like my only option....What if i just change his ethernet port to half duplex 10 Mb
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2012 5:17:12 PM

What is your inet connection speed? If you've got a 30Mbit connection or so then setting his port to 10Mb should work pretty well. 10Mbit is pretty standard for cable/dsl here which wouldn't really be doing you any good because they could still use all the bandwidth you've got at just 10Mbit.
m
l
March 7, 2012 7:14:10 PM

whisperingshadow said:
Thats kinda looking like my only option....What if i just change his ethernet port to half duplex 10 Mb

Depending on your connection bandwidth that could work, but he could still cause increased latency with lots of open ports (like from any torrent program). If available in your router, QoS would likely give you the best control over anything he might throw at the connection. It looks like most Actiontec routers have pretty flexible QoS controls.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:22:27 AM

Yeah, it would be best if you lower his QoS priority and increase yours.
m
l

Best solution

March 15, 2012 4:52:43 PM

remember to set an upload speed cap, as most broadband connections have massive buffers and you'll still get horrible latency even with higher priority.
March 22, 2012 12:48:37 AM

Best answer selected by whisperingshadow.
m
l
!