Question about speaker driver disconnection

Last response: in Home Audio
July 25, 2004 12:18:00 AM

After 14 years of heavy usage, one of the 10" woofers in my old
(Infinity Reference 6) speakers finally perforated from the foam
surround - badly enough that the speaker is not useable.

Since I cannot afford to replace / repair at this time, I simply
disconnected the 10" (largest) woofers in both towers, screwed them
back in and turned the crossover on my sub up. My question is, is
this safe for the rest of the drivers in my towers? They of course
have tweeters and also two midrange drivers each. They're both being
fed 120w.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Frank
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 8:30:56 AM

The mid-range and tweeters will be OK. Be sure to insulate the wires which
were attached to the woofer, as otherwise they could short and damage your
amp.

There are people who can re-foam your Infinity woofers relatively cheap. You
are wise not to continue to try to use the woofers in this condition.

Mark Z.

"sternfan71" <franks_gems@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D aad1f75.0407241918.337cf3a4@posting.google.com...
> After 14 years of heavy usage, one of the 10" woofers in my old
> (Infinity Reference 6) speakers finally perforated from the foam
> surround - badly enough that the speaker is not useable.
>
> Since I cannot afford to replace / repair at this time, I simply
> disconnected the 10" (largest) woofers in both towers, screwed them
> back in and turned the crossover on my sub up. My question is, is
> this safe for the rest of the drivers in my towers? They of course
> have tweeters and also two midrange drivers each. They're both being
> fed 120w.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>

> Frank
Anonymous