Sign in with
Your question

Finalizing the choice of a graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2013 7:52:53 PM

Sorry for yet another "which graphics card should I buy" thread. But after reading through a bunch of the threads on here and a number of reviews over the last couple of months, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and wanted some final input before the purchase.

I built a gaming PC with my son in December and we initially passed on buying a graphics card until he was able to save up a few more dollars for a good card. He uses the PC for other things such as school projects, a little bit of video editing, but it's main goal is for gaming.

We're looking at the MSI 660Ti OC card. It got very good reviews and is at the top of the price range we're looking to spend. Anyone have a good reason not to get this specific card?

My son plans to play Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Onine, Crysis 3, Battlefield 3 and Saints Row The Third.

The PC has an i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU and 16GB of DDR3 memory.

I like the GTX 670, but that's above the price range at this point in time. Anyone know when the next rev of cards are coming out that might cause the 670 to drop in price?

And btw, my son is intent on getting an Nvidia card over a Radeon, fwiw.

Thanks in advance for the input.
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 8:22:47 PM

TheMick7 said:
Sorry for yet another "which graphics card should I buy" thread. But after reading through a bunch of the threads on here and a number of reviews over the last couple of months, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and wanted some final input before the purchase.

I built a gaming PC with my son in December and we initially passed on buying a graphics card until he was able to save up a few more dollars for a good card. He uses the PC for other things such as school projects, a little bit of video editing, but it's main goal is for gaming.

We're looking at the MSI 660Ti OC card. It got very good reviews and is at the top of the price range we're looking to spend. Anyone have a good reason not to get this specific card?

My son plans to play Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Onine, Crysis 3, Battlefield 3 and Saints Row The Third.

The PC has an i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU and 16GB of DDR3 memory.

I like the GTX 670, but that's above the price range at this point in time. Anyone know when the next rev of cards are coming out that might cause the 670 to drop in price?

And btw, my son is intent on getting an Nvidia card over a Radeon, fwiw.

Thanks in advance for the input.

What is your power supply?

m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 8:25:21 PM

Also, what is your budget, and what resolution does your son's computer run at?
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2013 8:34:32 PM

600W power supply.

His resolution is at 1920x1200.

Budget is $300 or less (always prefer to spend less :)  )

Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 8:37:46 PM

TheMick7 said:
600W power supply.

His resolution is at 1920x1200.

Budget is $300 or less (always prefer to spend less :)  )

Thanks

Sorry I wasn't specific. What is the make and model of your power supply? The reason we ask is because there are so many generic power supplies out there that don't produce the wattage they claim.
m
l
January 31, 2013 8:42:42 PM

jnkweaver raises a good point on the PSU, but if yours is decent quality, then I think going with the MSI 660 ti is a fine move, and a great card for gaming. MSI's overclocking abilities in their higher end cards are well regarded, and the 660 ti is a good design and more efficient than the comparable Radeon. Plus recent Tech Report findings on the frame buffer issue on the 7950 make this an even better move, at least until the problem is solved by AMD, because the issue directly affects Skyrim.

jnkweaver: love the PSU warning under your picture!
m
l
January 31, 2013 11:02:32 PM

> What is the make and model of your power supply?

Oops, made a mistake. The power supply is actually 700W, not 600. It's an Apevia ATX-AQ700W. How can I check to see if this does produce the wattage that they claim?
m
l
January 31, 2013 11:16:44 PM

We can expect a refresh of the 600 series in 3-5 months. As far as gaming goes it depends on your son whether or not he wants to play games at the highest settings. a 660 ti won't cut it for Crysis 3 on ultra (single player, multiplayer has proven to be subpar) but Skyrim and even ESO should be a breeze for it. Let him get the 660ti so he can enjoy his new PC . Better that he spends the money on video games than drugs.
m
l
January 31, 2013 11:34:04 PM

Thanks to all that responded. Appreciate the feedback. Just read the brief review on the Tahiti 7870, and the price looks real good, so that's definitely a good option. However, since my son seems to be stuck on nVidia cards for some reason, we'll probably go with the 660 ti.

Thanks again to all for the responses.

xl2aNd0m - you're absolutely right about it being better to spend the money on video games than the alternative. Just hope it stays that way as my son gets older!

Cheers!
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 12:16:27 AM

xl2aNd0m said:
We can expect a refresh of the 600 series in 3-5 months. As far as gaming goes it depends on your son whether or not he wants to play games at the highest settings. a 660 ti won't cut it for Crysis 3 on ultra (single player, multiplayer has proven to be subpar) but Skyrim and even ESO should be a breeze for it. Let him get the 660ti so he can enjoy his new PC . Better that he spends the money on video games than drugs.

A Kepler upgrade is more like it. When you say refresh people probably thing the same thing in a different package :p  400/500 series were both fermi but the 500 series was stronger.

And its okay team green isn't a bad way to go. Some of us prefer to drive what we drive so all the power to him.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 12:37:48 AM

TheMick7 said:
> What is the make and model of your power supply?

Oops, made a mistake. The power supply is actually 700W, not 600. It's an Apevia ATX-AQ700W. How can I check to see if this does produce the wattage that they claim?

Honestly the only way is to read reviews on your power supply. Unfortunately Apevia (used to be Aspire) is a mid to low brand power supply that is known for overstating their wattage. Plan on getting only 600 from it and that might be pushing it.

All that being said a 600W psu is enough for the 660TI so have fun.

Next time go for a Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec to name a few. They cost a little more but they deliver what they promise.
m
l
!