Asus GTX 680 4GB SLI Not working!

Cressell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hello,
as the topic says I can't get my SLI config to work with my new GTX 680 cards. I get to the point where I've activated SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel, but when I try to launch a game (tried several different games), it just goes black within about 1-2 seconds of the first image. Sometimes I don't even get the first image, the screen just flickers on and off and then goes black, but with backlight on.

My setup:
Asus p8z77-v pro/tb
Asus GTX 680 4gb, x2 at stock clock
Core i7 3770k currently stock clock
Corsair HX 1050W PSU
Corsair vengeance lp 16gb, at stock clock
Samsung 840 pro 256gb

What I've tried:
- Reinstalling Windows, Drivers (tried 310.70, 310.90, 313.95), directx, the games.
- Swapping cards between slots, trying each card single in each slot.

What else can I try? I've googled like an idiot, trying to find an answer but when I manage to find a thread with someone having similar problems there's never a solution written.

I've got World of Warcraft to work run in fullscreen windowed mode, but as soon as I go fullscreen it'll go black like the other games.

Does anyone happen to have any ideas as to what I can try?

Yours-
Cressell

edit; As 3dmark11 also crashes I'll be assuming it refuses to run any kind of full screen application whilst in SLI mode..
edit2; Can also add that with both cards connected I can run bf3 on ultra just fine, with SLI turned off.
edit3; With Vsync ON I can start bf3, however with immense screen flickering and tearing. As soon as I deactivate Vsync it goes black again. With the mouse pointer still there and movable.

Cressell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Couldn't say, I don't have another one to try with. Will bring one or a couple home from work tomorrow though and see if that's it. Is it common for the SLi bridges to be faulty?

Cressell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I have tried Card 1 in Slot 1 and 2, I have tried Card 2 in slot 1 and 2.
I have tried Card 1 in Slot 1 and Card 2 in slot 2 with the SLI bridge connected, and the opposite

The cards work great in either slot, using either power connectors.

I installed the latest bios update from Asus homepage, I assume that's the drivers? If not, I may have a lead still :)

The latest bios is not the drivers. With the motherboard, you should have a CD that included software. The software includes drivers for sound, wifi, and many other devices on the motherboard. This may include drivers needed for crossfire to work.

Cressell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Among the installations available on the CD provided with the motherboard, there was nothing related to the pci slots or the alike. I have however updated them all. No luck :(

Btw, what does the SLI bridge look like, that you used? Nvidia bridges come in 3 flavors; 2, 3 & 4 way bridges. Hopefully you are using the one that connects to a single connector on each side. If not, you have the wrong one.

Assuming you have the right bridge, you are left with hardware issues:
One or more of the cards may be defective
The bridge may be defective
The motherboard may be defective

There may be one other issue. Some software packages have had issues with SLI. Logitech's LGS software, for their gaming keyboards and G13's have been known to cause issues during installation of Nvidia and AMD drivers. You can normally just disable the software before installing your cards, then activate it afterwards.

Oh, also, download GPU-Z and make sure the bus interface is correct for both cards.

Cressell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
It's a 2-way SLI bridge, all of them are. I've tried 4 different ones.

So, large update. I tried this time to launch the Crysis 3 MP Beta rather than BF3, and guess what, it works. SLI's up and running in-game without the flickering or crashes. So I tried BF3, and the issue remains.

However, nothing but Crysis 3 works. No games, no benchmarks run, only Crysis 3. So I'm wondering if Crysis 3 isn't just running on 1 card. The performance while playing seemed a bit too low for 680 SLI..

So, bystander, how do I identify the problem? I've tried playing with both cards separately, first each one in slot 1 then each one in slot 2. All works great. That should mean that both the cards and the mb is fine, no?

Edit; Just confirmed, the second card isn't being used in Crysis 3. That's why it works :)

When loading BF3 and such it doesn't seem as though the second card is doing any work.

Cressell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Ehm so you may laugh at this but uh...

I just put in a second SLI bridge next to the one I already had there.. and guess what, it works. No issues what-so-ever. I don't understand ***. But it works. I'll be removing the old bridge to see if it still works without it when I have the guts to do so.

Cressell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Yes, however only on the left side, and possibly up-side-down.

I'm thinking of these alternatives:

The left hand side connection points are damaged.
Or
The bridge connected on the left hand side is damaged.

So what I'll be trying is first to remove the left hand side bridge, if things work I'll move the right hand side bridge to the left hand side to see if it still works. If not, I'll try the bridge that was formerly on the left on the right hand side in order to see if the bridge was working or not. From there, I should be able to conclude whether the bridge or the cards are at fault.

edit: But not now. Now, I'll be enjoying my SLI :)

edit2: However I'm hearing some coil whine while running benchmarks though..