Closed Solved

Monitor won't start when plugged into graphics card

How come my monitor will not start up when I plug it into my graphics card? I have been using onboard graphics and everything works fine. I recently bought a graphics card and when i plug the monitor cable into it the light on my monitor remains yellow instead of green. If i take out the cable and plug it into the mobo i get a display so somethings screwy. When the graphics card is plugged in all the fans spin and the led's light up ..but no monitor display. Right now i have my gpu in the pci slot but have my cable plugged into the mobo. I am currently using an old monitor that uses vga (until i get my new one, it is a gateway2000 vivitron..yeh lol) so i have to use an adapter that msi provided when i plug it into my gpu. Maybe something is wrong with the adapter? The adapter looks like it has missing pins but i think that is normal with vga- dvi a, the a stands for analog. Could this be it? Since my computer has been running fine for a month now playing games and such, i doubt my psu is bad (also the gpu is getting power like i mentioned earlier). I have tried to start up with graphics turned to pci express- still nothing, I have tried with and without drivers- samething.. I am stuck and not sure what the problem is.. Please help

Specs: msi 7870 hawk, i5 3570k, 600w cx corsair, asrock z77 pro4 and the rest is irrelevant.
34 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about monitor start plugged graphics card
  1. On some motherboards you must disable onboard graphics when using a PCI Graphics card.
  2. In my bios I have the option to switch between onboard pci and pci express..which I've done
  3. yep. go into the BIOS and disable the on board graphics and make it PCIe
  4. Yeh i know, I did that from the start with nothing. The problem is no power is getting to my monitor when plugged into graphics card, if I simply take out the cable and plug it in my mobo the monitor immediately turns on and I get display
  5. lowcountrysmoke said:
    In my bios I have the option to switch between onboard pci and pci express..which I've done


    Hi - also delete and sweep your on board graphics drivers,
    and install the 7870 drivers from amd website, not the
    cd that came in the box.

    Tom
  6. I never used the cd. I installed the new amd driver right before I installed the card, but I never deleted the inboard graphics. So before I delete the inboard driver do you think this could be the cause? I always though that it didn't matter if inboard drivers were installed if the bios is set to pci express
  7. Have you gone through device manager while using your onboard and disabling your onboard card. Just because you change your graphic adapter priority doesn't ensure your onboard situation was taken care of.
  8. No I only switched it in the bios, I'll do that and see what happens
  9. I disabled the onboard graphics in device manager and shutdown, plugged cable to graphics card and same damn thing...pc starts up fine gpu fans getting power but my monitor doesn't turn on. It just stays in that sleep mode where the yellow light is on.. It's like there is something wrong with the dvi slot or adapter or something... I'm pissed
  10. lowcountrysmoke said:
    I disabled the onboard graphics in device manager and shutdown, plugged cable to graphics card and same damn thing...pc starts up fine gpu fans getting power but my monitor doesn't turn on. It just stays in that sleep mode where the yellow light is on.. It's like there is something wrong with the dvi slot or adapter or something... I'm pissed

    Can you try a different monitor? (I know that the monitor works on onboard graphics). Or try a different Graphics card.
  11. What graphics card? Is the proper power hooked up to the card?


    As for everyone saying try drivers or device manager? How is that going to help if the screen isn't turning on at POST. If you get not POST info, drivers are irrelevant, Windows isn't even loading yet.
  12. Nope this is all I got right now.. I also like to mention I just went into bios to check system browser and it is not detecting my gpu in the 3.0 slot, now is this because it is simply not plugged into the monitor. it is plugged in to mobo with the pci cables and is running there is just no monitor cable in it(am I ok to leave it installed even though its not being used?)
  13. Best answer
    hmm, I'm not sure. That is very odd. I was thinking you could have both connected have your onboard set to default. Then go in and install the driver to your video card and then disable your onboard then restart and in the bios set it to pci express priority and then save and exit and see what happens but i'm not sure at this point.

    Things you've tried.

    1. Going through Bios and changing did nothing: check
    2. Disabled onboard video through device manager: check
    3. Tried other full length pci express slots?: maybe?
  14. How are you connecting the monitor? DVI? VGA? HDMI? Displayport?

    One of my monitors wont autodetect inputs, and I have to push the arrow keys (on the monitor itself) to get it to flip through them.
  15. bigshootr8 said:
    hmm, I'm not sure. That is very odd. I was thinking you could have both connected have your onboard set to default. Then go in and install the driver to your video card and then disable your onboard then restart and in the bios set it to pci express priority and then save and exit and see what happens but i'm not sure at this point.

    Things you've tried.

    1. Going through Bios and changing did nothing: check
    2. Disabled onboard video through device manager: check
    3. Tried other full length pci express slots?: maybe?


    I actually went ahead and tried the 2.0 slot on my mobo and it worked! I guess the 3.0 express slot is bad or something.. oh well im not getting a new mobo for something like that. I think the 2.0 performs the exact same, correct me if i am wrong. The only problem is my gpu is kinda close to my wireless card but that gpu puts out like no heat anyways so no biggy.

    Thanks for yalls. Anyone have any thought on why this slot didnt work?
  16. lowcountrysmoke said:
    I actually went ahead and tried the 2.0 slot on my mobo and it worked! I guess the 3.0 express slot is bad or something.. oh well im not getting a new mobo for something like that. I think the 2.0 performs the exact same, correct me if i am wrong. The only problem is my gpu is kinda close to my wireless card but that gpu puts out like no heat anyways so no biggy.

    Thanks for yalls. Anyone have any thought on why this slot didnt work?


    Hey - glad you got it fixed (thanks to bigshootr's suggestion),
    the 3.0 slot must just be bad.
  17. sure the card just wasn't seated properly? that can happen.
  18. Yeh i tried a few times.. i did notice it was much harder to put in the 3.0 slot which i figure was bc of the design. I honestly had to push harder to get it in the 3.0 slot whereas it just kinda slid in the 2.0. I didnt force anything though
  19. Well here is the bummer from what I understand is that the 2.0 slot is only running at 4x speeds. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157296
    If you had recently bought the motherboard I would exchange it if you have had it for a while I would call Asrock and see what you can do.
  20. lowcountrysmoke said:
    Yeh i tried a few times.. i did notice it was much harder to put in the 3.0 slot which i figure was bc of the design. I honestly had to push harder to get it in the 3.0 slot whereas it just kinda slid in the 2.0. I didnt force anything though


    ok fair enough, if you are satisfied it was all the way in that's fine. Some slots Ive come across have a notch that slides out and around the cutout groove of the gpu pcb and snap in to lock. Could possibly wasn't going all the way into the groove or the notch needs to be manually opened like your dimm slots for the memory.
  21. lowcountrysmoke said:
    Yeh i tried a few times.. i did notice it was much harder to put in the 3.0 slot which i figure was bc of the design. I honestly had to push harder to get it in the 3.0 slot whereas it just kinda slid in the 2.0. I didnt force anything though


    Hi - looks like a bad slot - just a reminder, if you have
    an oem version(most of us do) windows, then you need
    the same make/model motherboard if you replace the
    def mobo, oem windows will not boot if you install
    a diff model mobo.

    Tom
  22. That isn't exactly correct Tom. I changed my motherboard a couple years back from a socket 775 board to a 1155 board with the same version of a oem version of windows and had no problems.

    I would just be worried with the 2.0 slot working at 4x speeds on a 2.0 slot because its a lot slower then it needs to be.
  23. bigshootr8 said:
    That isn't exactly correct Tom. I changed my motherboard a couple years back from a socket 775 board to a 1155 board with the same version of a oem version of windows and had no problems.

    I would just be worried with the 2.0 slot working at 4x speeds on a 2.0 slot because its a lot slower then it needs to be.


    You were lucky, cuzz that's not how it usually goes, even Toms
    has cautioned against it. I wouldn't take the chance unless I
    was prepared to spend for another copy of windows.

    Tom

    from Tom's:

    As with the royalty OEM versions, your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which it is installed and cannot be transferred to a PC, nor can the motherboard be upgraded.
    Under the terms of its agreement with Microsoft, the OEM must use the Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) to install Windows. When you first turn on the PC, you accept a license agreement with the OEM and with Microsoft. The OEM is required to provide support for your copy of Windows.
  24. Yeh my mobo has that slider on the slot and i did pull it out all the way. I heard that the 2.0 slot would perform fine.. so am i really losing that much performance?
  25. from 4x to 16x I would say you are yes. Because your slot is only going to run at pci-e 2.0 4x speeds.
  26. right, but does anyone know how much perfomance is actually lost bc of this? Im sure its not as much as some ppl may think
  27. I dont know how accurate this is, but i read somewhere that 4x is just 15% slower then 16x. So maybe i will try to switch out the mobo sometime, but for now all my games are running perfect with great fps.
  28. I found a older article it looks pretty considerable to me I would get in contact with ASROCK. No reason you should have a fully capable card and motherboard only to be held back by a weird slot.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/
  29. Not much depending on the application and gpu used.

    There are more lanes incorporated into the 16x & 8x slots feeding off the cpu controller whilst the 4x is using the chipset controller.

    Benchmarks are hard to find quickly but did find a youtube video testing a 6990 in each 16/8/4 slot.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSfifE2Domo

    The scores aren't much different, but he did mention he'll have a more intense benchmark next time.

    So guess for now you'll be fine, but if upgrading to a more powerful gpu in future could be restricted even further as more powerful gpus start to take full advantage of 16x.
  30. Thanks for all the info and help guys! I really appreciate it, for now im just going to keep this mobo and maybe the slot will start workin...who knows :whistle:
  31. Right but there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to take advantage of his motherboard's full purpose of him being able to run his card at full bandwidth I would talk to ASROCK and see what they say maybe there is a way for them to instruct you in changing your pci-express 3.0 to a 2.0 speed slot. Also maybe there is a bios update that would solve the solution
  32. That's fine but like I said I would talk to ASROCK no reason your board shouldn't be doing the work you put your money into.
  33. Yeh, i will talk to them to see what i can do and if they have had any other issues like mine.
  34. Best answer selected by Lowcountrysmoke.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics Product