Monitor won't start when plugged into graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowcountrysmoke

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
How come my monitor will not start up when I plug it into my graphics card? I have been using onboard graphics and everything works fine. I recently bought a graphics card and when i plug the monitor cable into it the light on my monitor remains yellow instead of green. If i take out the cable and plug it into the mobo i get a display so somethings screwy. When the graphics card is plugged in all the fans spin and the led's light up ..but no monitor display. Right now i have my gpu in the pci slot but have my cable plugged into the mobo. I am currently using an old monitor that uses vga (until i get my new one, it is a gateway2000 vivitron..yeh lol) so i have to use an adapter that msi provided when i plug it into my gpu. Maybe something is wrong with the adapter? The adapter looks like it has missing pins but i think that is normal with vga- dvi a, the a stands for analog. Could this be it? Since my computer has been running fine for a month now playing games and such, i doubt my psu is bad (also the gpu is getting power like i mentioned earlier). I have tried to start up with graphics turned to pci express- still nothing, I have tried with and without drivers- samething.. I am stuck and not sure what the problem is.. Please help

Specs: msi 7870 hawk, i5 3570k, 600w cx corsair, asrock z77 pro4 and the rest is irrelevant.

Solution
hmm, I'm not sure. That is very odd. I was thinking you could have both connected have your onboard set to default. Then go in and install the driver to your video card and then disable your onboard then restart and in the bios set it to pci express priority and then save and exit and see what happens but i'm not sure at this point.

Things you've tried.

1. Going through Bios and changing did nothing: check
2. Disabled onboard video through device manager: check
3. Tried other full length pci express slots?: maybe?

lowcountrysmoke

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Yeh i know, I did that from the start with nothing. The problem is no power is getting to my monitor when plugged into graphics card, if I simply take out the cable and plug it in my mobo the monitor immediately turns on and I get display

Hi - also delete and sweep your on board graphics drivers,
and install the 7870 drivers from amd website, not the
cd that came in the box.

Tom

lowcountrysmoke

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I never used the cd. I installed the new amd driver right before I installed the card, but I never deleted the inboard graphics. So before I delete the inboard driver do you think this could be the cause? I always though that it didn't matter if inboard drivers were installed if the bios is set to pci express

lowcountrysmoke

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I disabled the onboard graphics in device manager and shutdown, plugged cable to graphics card and same damn thing...pc starts up fine gpu fans getting power but my monitor doesn't turn on. It just stays in that sleep mode where the yellow light is on.. It's like there is something wrong with the dvi slot or adapter or something... I'm pissed

Can you try a different monitor? (I know that the monitor works on onboard graphics). Or try a different Graphics card.

What graphics card? Is the proper power hooked up to the card?

As for everyone saying try drivers or device manager? How is that going to help if the screen isn't turning on at POST. If you get not POST info, drivers are irrelevant, Windows isn't even loading yet.

lowcountrysmoke

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Nope this is all I got right now.. I also like to mention I just went into bios to check system browser and it is not detecting my gpu in the 3.0 slot, now is this because it is simply not plugged into the monitor. it is plugged in to mobo with the pci cables and is running there is just no monitor cable in it(am I ok to leave it installed even though its not being used?)

hmm, I'm not sure. That is very odd. I was thinking you could have both connected have your onboard set to default. Then go in and install the driver to your video card and then disable your onboard then restart and in the bios set it to pci express priority and then save and exit and see what happens but i'm not sure at this point.

Things you've tried.

1. Going through Bios and changing did nothing: check
2. Disabled onboard video through device manager: check
3. Tried other full length pci express slots?: maybe?

Solution

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
How are you connecting the monitor? DVI? VGA? HDMI? Displayport?

One of my monitors wont autodetect inputs, and I have to push the arrow keys (on the monitor itself) to get it to flip through them.

lowcountrysmoke

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

I actually went ahead and tried the 2.0 slot on my mobo and it worked! I guess the 3.0 express slot is bad or something.. oh well im not getting a new mobo for something like that. I think the 2.0 performs the exact same, correct me if i am wrong. The only problem is my gpu is kinda close to my wireless card but that gpu puts out like no heat anyways so no biggy.

Thanks for yalls. Anyone have any thought on why this slot didnt work?

Hey - glad you got it fixed (thanks to bigshootr's suggestion),
the 3.0 slot must just be bad.

lowcountrysmoke

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Yeh i tried a few times.. i did notice it was much harder to put in the 3.0 slot which i figure was bc of the design. I honestly had to push harder to get it in the 3.0 slot whereas it just kinda slid in the 2.0. I didnt force anything though

boju

Titan
Ambassador

ok fair enough, if you are satisfied it was all the way in that's fine. Some slots Ive come across have a notch that slides out and around the cutout groove of the gpu pcb and snap in to lock. Could possibly wasn't going all the way into the groove or the notch needs to be manually opened like your dimm slots for the memory.

Hi - looks like a bad slot - just a reminder, if you have
an oem version(most of us do) windows, then you need
the same make/model motherboard if you replace the
def mobo, oem windows will not boot if you install
a diff model mobo.

Tom

That isn't exactly correct Tom. I changed my motherboard a couple years back from a socket 775 board to a 1155 board with the same version of a oem version of windows and had no problems.

I would just be worried with the 2.0 slot working at 4x speeds on a 2.0 slot because its a lot slower then it needs to be.

You were lucky, cuzz that's not how it usually goes, even Toms
has cautioned against it. I wouldn't take the chance unless I
was prepared to spend for another copy of windows.

Tom

from Tom's:

As with the royalty OEM versions, your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which it is installed and cannot be transferred to a PC, nor can the motherboard be upgraded.
Under the terms of its agreement with Microsoft, the OEM must use the Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) to install Windows. When you first turn on the PC, you accept a license agreement with the OEM and with Microsoft. The OEM is required to provide support for your copy of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.