(n00b) can my phone access my desktop via my router/modem with wifi?

i've got a Livebox router/modem that provides an ethernet connection for our desktop and wifi connections for our smartphones (all-in-one kind of thing) in a SOHO environment. what i'd like to do is access one from the other, that is move files between a smartphone and the desktop without additional wiring or hardware .. perhaps via ftp or somesuch? is this possible?

i've got a pretty good feeling this isn't rocket science but i don't even know what to ask for here, not savvy to the lingo as it were.

any assistance would be much appreciated. thank you.

jay.
1 answer Last reply
More about n00b phone access desktop router modem wifi
  1. okay, answering my own question here. the standard approach seems to be Samsung's Kies Air which comes loaded on the SGS2. that seems to work fine -- and dead simple -- under Windows (XP SP2 if anyone is asking).

unfortunately the Kies thing seems to be a non-starter under Linux variants and i'm on Ubuntu these days. enter Air Droid: also dead easy, free in the 'droid Marketplace, no probs on Ubuntu, much better interface than Kies, basically everything i wanted and more. it's a no-brainer solution to a problem i barely understood.

not sure why no one had anything to say on the subject but hey, whatever, job done. bye!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Routers Desktops WiFi Modem Wireless Networking