Sign in with
Your question

Dell Inspiron 531s Graphic Card Update

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2013 12:19:59 AM

I own a Dell Inspiron 531 which has a factory AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.01 Ghz with 2 GB of memory RAM. (Updated to 2 from 1)
Its a 32 Bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
I also have a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.
I want to upgrade my graphic card so I can play League of Legends with high FPS and graphics.
I'm not sure how much Wattage my PSU is.
Thanks in advance. I have a budget of ~$150.
Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 4:58:57 AM

Get a HD7750 or a HD 7770 or GTX 650. They are in your budget and won't be bottlenecked by the processor too. Also it is important to know the wattage of the PSU. You need to have atleast 300watts PSU with a 6pin connector to support HD7770 and GTX650 or a 220watts PSU for the HD7750.
m
l
February 1, 2013 10:38:13 AM

Can you please explain that again? I am very lost.
What is this pin stuff?
Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 11:46:04 AM

You can get a AMD HD7750 graphics card which you can get for $80-$100
Or you can get a AMD HD7770 graphics card which you can get for $90-$120
Or you can get a nVidia GTX650 graphics card which you can get for $130-$170

If you buy a more fast graphics card your processor will not support it.

If you are going with the 2nd or the 3rd option you need to have a six pin plug/connector that will supply power to the graphics card.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEW-PCI-Express-Power-Adapter/d...
The picture in this link is of a molex to 6pin connector/plug. The black one is the 6pin connector and the two white pins are the molex pins.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 2:18:47 PM

Which Inspiron you have 531 (MT mini tower) or 531s (slim). If 531 then all recommended above is correct, if it is slim, 531s, please disregard above recommendations since full size graphic cards are offered. Power supply for 531s is 250 watt, only 7750 would be supported, it is known to run on 220 watt PSU. Low profile Sapphire 7750 DDR5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Unfortunately you have TFX factor power supply, if so desire (not necessary for Sapphire 7750) you can get 350 watt TFX SeaSonic power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., and the offering for power supplies stops here, unfortunately.

For your information, Inspiron 531s manuals http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp531s/...
Inspiron 531s driver downloads http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/in...

Inspiron 531 MT (mini tower) manuals http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd531/...

Inspiron 531 driver downloads http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/in...

On driver download pages you will see picture of your Inspiron, please identify your model to prevent confusion.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 2:25:58 PM

Actually you can also upgrade your processor for about $40, if interested please ask here.
m
l
February 1, 2013 3:20:59 PM

Yes, I have the slim version.
I am still very lost so if you all come to a conclusive answer, I will try to read thorugh it.
Thanks!
I'm not very tech savvy. :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 3:36:21 PM

Thanks for clarification.
My choice Sapphire 7750 is the best option you can get for low profile. If you can squeeze a bit more $$, you can upgrade your processor to Athlon 64 x2 6000+, this is the maximum your motherboard supports, however this might require power supply upgrade (link previously provided), if needed I would have to calculate your maximum wattage to see if your 250 watt power supply will support them all.
I would recommend to get 7750 and install, next try your games, if they play OK - no worries, if not - ask a question. If you create new post, feel free to PM me, I have great deal of knowledge about upgrading Inspirons different models beyond Dell recommendations.

Glad to help fellow Inspiron user.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 3:46:28 PM

KathaMeetha said:
Yes, I have the slim version.
I am still very lost so if you all come to a conclusive answer, I will try to read thorugh it.
Thanks!
I'm not very tech savvy. :D 

You have a small cabinet/case so you cannot put a big(high profile) card in it so you have to go for a small(low profile card).
You don't need to buy a power supply of high power(wattage) as long as you don't overclock or buy a high end card. 7750 is a low end card.
m
l
February 1, 2013 6:24:47 PM

Toronto.
Will I be able to play at high graphics?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 6:59:02 PM

With new video card yes, your processor is in between recommended and minimum requirements for your game (all what is listed is processor speed 2 GHz for minimum and 3 GHz for recommended, however this means Pentium 4, you have Dual Core, so you already above).
m
l
February 1, 2013 9:32:57 PM

What card is this?
Anything else to upgrade?
m
l
February 1, 2013 10:13:11 PM

Would you say that I update anything else?
Do I need the pin? (Or something?)
Why does this happen? Graphic card or what. Some person opened my computer and it has been doing this.

http://gyazo.com/8c272190fbf300eaf5ea2cc407f93f87.png

Happens for a split second and I managed to screenie it. Its usually when I change tabs quickly.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2013 12:12:52 AM

KathaMeetha said:
Would you say that I update anything else?
Do I need the pin? (Or something?)
Why does this happen? Graphic card or what. Some person opened my computer and it has been doing this.

http://gyazo.com/8c272190fbf300eaf5ea2cc407f93f87.png

Happens for a split second and I managed to screenie it. Its usually when I change tabs quickly.

You asked about updates for anything else, what do you mean?
What pin you talking about?

Now regarding this strange picture.
Check if all the cables to monitor connected tight, when someone opened your PC, what someone did inside, could any cables inside got loose?
Do you have in your house another monitor, if yes, can you connect your PC to this monitor and see if the problem still there. Is this problem happened only on Internet, does it happened when you open folders.
It seems to be video issues, but is your PC very hot? I understand that it is the winter outside, but still.
If no one suggest something valuable here I would recommend to post this picture at Dell Desktop Video Forum http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3... I expect some help there for sure.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2013 12:14:58 AM

You do not need the pin that I said for thAt graphics card. Just put the card in the computer and it will run.
m
l
February 2, 2013 4:46:55 PM

Xttony said:
You do not need the pin that I said for thAt graphics card. Just put the card in the computer and it will run.

Ahh thanks.
It only happens only on the internet.

Also, how good will this card be? :o 
I'm not exactly sure how good it will be.
Thanks!

Update as in someone said to update my AMD Athlon X2 and my processor.
Also one more problem.
When I'm downloading something, the computers runs very choppily. Like I see the delay when I'm typing.
Is this normal?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2013 4:51:45 PM

It is a low end card and it can handle all current games at low/medium settings. But according to the criteria you previously gave you have nothing to worry about. You can play league of legends at high and get high framerates.
m
l
February 2, 2013 9:58:37 PM

So you mean because of my computer, I can play at good settings.
Anyone have any idea of those weird lines?
It only happens on the internet. Mostly when changing tabs.
Is there anything else you say I update?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 12:52:27 AM

KathaMeetha said:

If it is only Internet issue, reinstall your browser, and better upgrade it to the latest, which browser do you use? Have your Internet connection speed changed (your Internet Service Provider changed, or you plan changed?).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 2:55:42 AM

KathaMeetha said:

I was just saying that you can play league of legends at good settings as it your main objective on this upgrade.
Can you explain the weird lines on your computer or post a screen shot of this problem?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 3:11:19 AM

Xttony said:
I was just saying that you can play league of legends at good settings as it your main objective on this upgrade.
Can you explain the weird lines on your computer or post a screen shot of this problem?

It was posted above http://gyazo.com/8c272190fbf300eaf5ea2cc407f93f87.png
m
l
February 3, 2013 1:04:54 PM

Ok.
Where exactly do I put the card?
Ordering it now.
And is Newegg trusted?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 1:16:32 PM

Yes newegg is trusted. You need to put the card on a pcie x16 slot
m
l
February 3, 2013 3:21:23 PM

So there are different slots?
Will I need to put anything else in?

What do you mean my purpose is just for the game?
Also, I read some reviews and read that its loud. ^.^ Is that bad?

And... by updating card, can I go on the internet while playing league?

Does it come with a warranty and a return policy?
And... Its 142. ^.^ The shipping and tax. Wow
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 5:43:25 AM

Post the brand and model of the motherboard and I'll tell you which slot to place the graphics card in.
The HD7750 is not loud at all. The people that review the products are perfectionists and only for them it is loud.
Sure you can go to Internet while playing game. You can do everything you could do previously.
Yes it comes with a warranty and a return policy.
I can't tell you by return policy because I never used newegg since it is not available in my country.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 3:34:24 PM

KathaMeetha said:
So there are different slots?
Will I need to put anything else in?

What do you mean my purpose is just for the game?
Also, I read some reviews and read that its loud. ^.^ Is that bad?

And... by updating card, can I go on the internet while playing league?

Does it come with a warranty and a return policy?
And... Its 142. ^.^ The shipping and tax. Wow

I was out of reach, back now.

First let me explain the PCIE location, please excuse me for poor pictures, as I am trying to figure out how Tom's working.

This is actual motherboard Inspiron 531s model 0RY206, circled in red is PCIE slot.

This is 0RY206 Diagram, number 26 is PCI Express x16 connector (PCIE_x16), circled in red for your convenience.

Now a few steps to follow.

Turning Off Your Computer
NOTICE: To avoid losing data, save and close any open files and exit any open programs before you turn off your computer.

Windows® XP:

1. Save and close any open files and exit any open programs.

2. Click Start® Turn Off Computer® Turn off.

3. Ensure that the computer and any attached devices are turned off. If your computer and attached devices did not automatically turn off when you shut down your operating system, press and hold the power button for at least 8 to 10 seconds until the computer turns off.

Windows Vista®:

1. Save and close any open files and exit any open programs.

2. Click Start , click the arrow , and then click Shut Down.

The computer turns off after the operating system shutdown process finishes.

3. Ensure that the computer and any attached devices are turned off. If your computer and attached devices did not automatically turn off when you shut down your operating system, press and hold the power button for at least 8 to 10 seconds until the computer turns off.

Before Working Inside Your Computer

Use the following safety guidelines to help protect your computer from potential damage and to help to ensure your own personal safety.

NOTICE: Handle components and cards with care. Do not touch the components or contacts on a card. Hold a card by its edges or by its metal mounting bracket. Hold a component such as a processor by its edges, not by its pins.
NOTICE: When you disconnect a cable, pull on its connector or on its pull-tab, not on the cable itself. Some cables have connectors with locking tabs; if you are disconnecting this type of cable, press in on the locking tabs before you disconnect the cable. As you pull connectors apart, keep them evenly aligned to avoid bending any connector pins. Also, before you connect a cable, ensure that both connectors are correctly oriented and aligned.

1. Disconnect all telephone or network cables from the computer.
2. Disconnect your computer and all attached devices from their electrical outlets.
3. Press the power button to ground the system board.
4. Open the computer cover.

NOTICE: Before touching anything inside your computer, ground yourself by touching an unpainted metal surface, such as the metal at the back of the computer. While you work, periodically touch an unpainted metal surface to dissipate static electricity, which could harm internal components.

Removing the Computer Cover

1. Lay your computer on its side with the computer cover facing up.
2. Remove the two screws securing the cover, using a flat-blade screwdriver.

1-computer cover, 2-screws (2).

3. Release the computer cover by pulling it away from the front of the computer and lifting it up.
4. Set the cover aside in a secure location.

Removing the Support Bracket

1. Release the card retention bracket by lifting the card retention release lever up.
2. Remove any cable(s) attached to the support bracket.
3. Pivot the support bracket and lift it off the hinge tabs.
4. Set it aside in a secure location.

1-support bracket, 2-card retention bracket, 3-card retention release lever

Installing a PCI/PCI Express Card

1-card retention bracket, 2-card retention release lever

1. Release the card retention bracket by lifting the card retention release lever up.
2. Remove the filler panel.
3. Place the card in the connector and press down firmly. Ensure that the card is fully seated in the slot.

1-alignment bar, 2-fully-seated card, 3-not fully-seated card, 4-alignment guide, 5-bracket within slot, 6-bracket caught outside of slot

4. If you are installing the PCI Express card into the x16 card connector, position the card so the securing slot is aligned with the securing tab.
5. Place the card in the connector and press down firmly. Ensure that the card is fully seated in the slot.

1-PCI Express x16 card, 2-securing tab, 3-PCI Express x1 card, 4-PCI Express x1 card slot, 5-PCI Express x16 card slot

Fix the support bracket and then press down the card retention bracket to seat it on its slot ensuring that:

* The guide clamp is aligned with the guide notch.

* The tops of all cards and filler brackets are flush with the alignment bar.

* The notch in the top of the card or filler bracket fits around the alignment guide.

1-PCI card slot, 2-PCI card, 3-card retention bracket, 4-card retention release lever

Last step, after you place overlay bracket back and closed your PC is Install any drivers required for the card as described in the card documentation.

Latest drivers http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...

However, prior to installing ATI drivers you have to uninstall NVIDIA drivers.
m
l
February 4, 2013 3:39:35 PM

How do I uninstall those drivers? The NVIDIA?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 3:53:54 PM

KathaMeetha said:
How do I uninstall those drivers? The NVIDIA?

First go to Control Panel, next find tab Programs and Features, locate NVIDIA there and uninstall.
Next, to make sure your PC is clean from NVIDIA display drivers, you need to get Driver Sweeper 3.2.0 http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.h...
Instructions from Techspot:
Driver Sweeper is a fast tool to remove driver leftovers from your system.

It's very important to remove your drivers on a proper way, because driver leftovers can cause problems like stability and startup problems. You can use it if you want to update/remove drivers from your system.

How to use ?

There are two methods to use Driver Sweeper. Both methods achieve the same results. This method is always able to clean all files.

* Use the official uninstaller(s) of the driver(s) you want to uninstall.
* Reboot your PC in Safe Mode.
* Use Driver Sweeper and select what to clean.
* Press the clean button.

This method will delete remaining files upon reboot (if deleting failed).

* Use the official uninstaller(s) of the driver(s) you want to uninstall.
* Use Driver Sweeper and select what to clean.
* Press the clean button.
* Reboot your PC.

Read instructions carefully and follow. Make sure that your system restore is on (it is on by default), so if you make a mess, you always can restore your PC to the stable time.
m
l
February 5, 2013 11:30:31 AM

Oke doke.
Thanks!
One more thing which has to do with my internet.
If I'm playing LoL and I start the browser, my Internet goes away until either I close the game or the browser.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 11:59:25 AM

KathaMeetha said:
Oke doke.
Thanks!
One more thing which has to do with my internet.
If I'm playing LoL and I start the browser, my Internet goes away until either I close the game or the browser.

Must be due to a malware, chck for malwares using malwarebytes. Reinstall the browser or use a different browser.
m
l
February 5, 2013 3:43:14 PM

Using Chrome.
When I get home from school, I will scan.
Wait...
so my internet goes out due to malware? :o 
Noticed one more thing.
My ping in the game is more than 250 if I'm in the internet at the same time.
Weird?
m
l
February 5, 2013 10:24:05 PM

Scanned and nope. No problems. This internet sucks.
One more thing.
I want to buy a cheap mouse also.
Can you please find me one on newegg?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 2:51:22 AM

KathaMeetha said:
Using Chrome.
When I get home from school, I will scan.
Wait...
so my internet goes out due to malware? :o 
Noticed one more thing.
My ping in the game is more than 250 if I'm in the internet at the same time.
Weird?

I am on iPhone, so no links just talking. Ping of 250, I play online games as well, you just answered your strange picture - you have breaks in Internet connection, at times your PC could not load page fast enough, you need to find out how far away you live from you ISP (Internet Service Provider) Central Office, CO, which is your Internet station, if you are very far, you need to find alternative Internet ISP, again, cannot provide links. The good thing - you don't have viruses, the bad thing - this is quality of your Internet connection...!
m
l
February 6, 2013 3:36:11 PM

Technician came and found no problems.
I live 1KM away.. (Not far)
This problem started after I cancelled dry-loop so yeh. :D 
Gimme link after.
Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 4:55:27 PM

Cancelled Dry-loop? What do you mean?
m
l
February 6, 2013 11:31:42 PM

I had voip phone before.
Then I cancelled it with the company and I went back to a wet-line with Bell. Therefore Dry-loop cancelled then)
m
l
February 7, 2013 1:22:54 AM

The fuzzy line problem is still there.
I'm finding that it comes way more often now (And internet is slower too) so any help would be appreciated. :D 
Edit:
It froze. The lines froze on the page and didn't leave until I scrolled down.
Get new internet ? :o 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 4:46:10 AM

I am thinking outloud, do you have in-line DSL filters? Did you get any new electrical equipment close to your PC (it may cause distortions), what is the difference between your present Bell to previous VOIP provider, you say that now you have wet-line, you mean land line? What was before? Do you use router, if yes, did you change router setup when you changed ISP? I am thinking...
I am not giving up so easy. :non: 
m
l
February 7, 2013 11:15:53 AM

Filters only on phones.
My pc had been there for 2 months. When we cancelled, the problem started.
The previous phone run through the internet. Now its land line.
Wet-line is land line yes.
Its the wiring. (Just google it)
No reuter.
Thanks. :D 
Edit:
Getting the card today. Never had a chance to talk to dad.
I want to get ~2Ram so which one should I get?
Also, with a new graphic card, can I go on skype when I'm on LoL? Can I do other stuff or does that have nothing to do with the card?
Edit:Quick please, I want to order my card.

Will I be able to run more programs?
Edit Again:
CPU Speed
Recommended: 3 GHz processor
You Have: 2.0 GHz Performance Rated at: 4.00 GHz
What does that mean? If its 2 then why is it rated at 4?

Edit: Lately when I start a program or switch tabs, the PC freezes for a few seconds (Mouse and everything then start moving again. Why?)
m
l
February 10, 2013 1:56:11 AM

Hello my dear friends.
m
l
February 12, 2013 9:35:39 PM

I guess I can't buy it.
I want to but ram.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2013 3:32:34 PM

This post started as simple upgrade and end up with fixing freezing issue, I don't know how to fix it, so I would strongly suggest to join Dell forum and ask your problems there http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/def...
Regarding video card or memory - I am not sure what you want, however you need to fix you problems first before spending money on defective PC.
m
l
February 15, 2013 8:04:24 PM

Thanks!
A bit too late.
I already ordered it.
Thanks for the help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 8:08:36 PM

It is never late, so which one you ordered video or memory?
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:28:50 PM

I ordered the graphic card.
Sorry for the late reply.
It hasn't frozen.
its just that when I have lots of tabs open that are videos along with some kinda stream, I lag.
Maybe a clean install?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2013 9:54:41 PM

If you have about 20 or more tabs open, playing video and trying to do other things, you are running out of free memory, so RAM has to be increased, remind me how much memory you have? Video card will take care about video issues, for the rest is processor and memory. Freezing issue may be related to RAM slots, so I need to know if you ever upgraded you memory, which slots it occupies, manufacturer of you memory and the amount. There is a hope, let's investigate. Check if you have there 4 very small diagnostic lights on the back panel? Also, when you start you PC do you hear any beeps? I need all answers, not just one or two.
m
l
February 18, 2013 11:18:26 PM

The computer has beeped since I got it. Isn't that normal?
Its like Vrooooom... Beeep.
Then normal.
4 slots. 512 mb each.
What 4 lights?
Problem is parents will never buy me anything else so I'm kinda screwed....
http://gyazo.com/8e615ded2ee9831cce6781e7380ed618
A picture of this. :D 
Some times x is free and sometimes x is free.
m
l
!