7770 vs. GTX 660

Ok, I have a Asus HDRadeon 7770 2GB already. I'm wondering, should I get another 7770 or should I buy one 660? My 7770 can run Far Cry 3 with no lag at all, but I think it is close to 100% GPU usage.
33 answers Last reply
More about 7770
  1. AnakinGuy12 said:
    Ok, I have a Asus HDRadeon 7770 2GB already. I'm wondering, should I get another 7770 or should I buy one 660? My 7770 can run Far Cry 3 with no lag at all, but I think it is close to 100% GPU usage.


    Hi - get one 660. Big upgrade from where you are.
    Always go for a single gpu solution when you can:
    Less heat, less PSU power needed, not all games benefit
    from CF/SLI, easier upgrade path, etc.

    Tom
  2. If you're not having any issues with your 7770, just stay with it. 100% GPU usage is not an issue at all -- in fact, when you build a gaming PC you want 100% GPU usage (i.e. you don't want an unbalanced system that is CPU-limited).

    But like highlander islander said, if you're looking for more performance in the $220-ish price range, get a 7870.
  3. highlander islander said:
    The correct answer is neither. If you're looking to stay at the same price point of a 660, then go for the 7870. The 7870 is statistically superior and also performs better on Tom's own benchmarking reviews - and same price as a 660.


    I have a 7870(happy with it) and mostly agree, however there are several games that perform
    better with the 660 and the OP needs to review based on which games
    he prefers:

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660

    Tom
  4. highlander islander said:
    The correct answer is neither. If you're looking to stay at the same price point of a 660, then go for the 7870. The 7870 is statistically superior and also performs better on Tom's own benchmarking reviews - and same price as a 660.

    depends on the game dude, for example BF3 the 660 is better - http://techreport.com/review/23527/review-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-graphics-card/4
    And overall frame latency is better on the 660, although recent driver updates may fix that with the AMD cards. But the cards are much closer than Tom's benchmarking reviews suggest, just depends on the price of the cards in your area.
  5. like in india gtx 660 is around 294$ & 7870 is around 335$. So i preferred the gtx 660 from gigabyte
  6. akshayghai29785 said:
    like in india gtx 660 is around 294$ & 7870 is around 335$. So i preferred the gtx 660 from gigabyte


    Given the price diff go with the 660. Like I posted above I
    have a 7870 and am very pleased, but in this situation
    I think you should go for the 660.

    Tom
  7. hapkido said:
    If you're not having any issues with your 7770, just stay with it. 100% GPU usage is not an issue at all -- in fact, when you build a gaming PC you want 100% GPU usage (i.e. you don't want an unbalanced system that is CPU-limited).

    But like highlander islander said, if you're looking for more performance in the $220-ish price range, get a 7870.



    Thanks a lot! I'm not having any problems yet. I'm able to run the Crysis 3 beta on High with no lag at all. And I can run it on Very High with some lag.
  8. Thanks for all the reply's. I'll look into the 660 and the 7870. Do you think I'll be able to run a 660 on my rig. (I'm worried about the power supply)

    CPU: AMD FX 6100
    Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 or a 7870
    PSU: Corsair CX 600W
    RAM: 8GB RipJawsX (Upgrading to 16 eventually)
  9. toyftw said:
    Given the price diff go with the 660. Like I posted above I
    have a 7870 and am very pleased, but in this situation
    I think you should go for the 660.

    Tom


    The 660 is $220, and the 7870 is about $240. There's not much of a difference. I don't have any problems with my 7770, so I may stick with it for a couple more months, then buy something a little more high end than the 7870. Plus AMD is supposed to release the 8000 series sometime this year. (Do you know if that is true?)
  10. AnakinGuy12 said:
    The 660 is $220, and the 7870 is about $240. There's not much of a difference. I don't have any problems with my 7770, so I may stick with it for a couple more months, then buy something a little more high end than the 7870. Plus AMD is supposed to release the 8000 series sometime this year. (Do you know if that is true?)


    Yeah - for $20 I'd get the 7870, I thot where you were the diff
    was a lot more(from one of the posts above). Yes, the next
    gen cards will release this yr. I've been mostly hearing 2nd Qtr
    for amd & later for nvidia.

    Something else to consider, you mention going a higher card
    than the 7870. Be sure your cpu isn't going to be a
    bottleneck for a high end(7900 series, 670,680)

    Tom
  11. AnakinGuy12 said:
    Thanks for all the reply's. I'll look into the 660 and the 7870. Do you think I'll be able to run a 660 on my rig. (I'm worried about the power supply)

    CPU: AMD FX 6100
    Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 or a 7870
    PSU: Corsair CX 600W
    RAM: 8GB RipJawsX (Upgrading to 16 eventually)

    the psu is fine, you gould run a gtx680 from that psu. The only problem i see is that your CPU would be a bottleneck. the fx6100 is not a good gaming cpu, it gets beat out by intel's i3 series.
  12. I've heard that, but I haven't had any problems with my CPU, I can run Crysis 3 beta on very high if it was for my GPU, and there's still very little lag. Everybody says it's not very good, but it does what I need it to do. And I can always upgrade if I need it. I will probably go with the 7870 unless the 8000 series or the new Nvidia series is really great. If I get the 7870 which brand do you recommend I get?
  13. I would try and snag a 7870 LE Tahiti if your budget allows it. Essentially a 7930 as TTL from overclock3d calls it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    Otherwise I would go with a Sapphire 7870.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025
  14. What about this one. I'm just exploring some options.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605
  15. I'm not particularly fond of the XFX coolers for a few reasons. The shroud really gives off a reference card design. I would probably go with the best cooling situation I could find. People do however seem pretty happy with that card and it is cheaper and more affordable so perhaps that could be a viable option as well.

    For example.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024
  16. toyftw said:
    Yeah - for $20 I'd get the 7870, I thot where you were the diff
    was a lot more(from one of the posts above). Yes, the next
    gen cards will release this yr. I've been mostly hearing 2nd Qtr
    for amd & later for nvidia.

    Something else to consider, you mention going a higher card
    than the 7870. Be sure your cpu isn't going to be a
    bottleneck for a high end(7900 series, 670,680)

    Tom



    What brand of 7870 do you have? Thanks
  17. AnakinGuy12 said:
    What brand of 7870 do you have? Thanks


    Sapphire
  18. Ok guys, last question, would you recommend a 1GB GTX 460 over a 2GB 7770? I may be able to get a free 460 from a friend.
  19. Hmmm, I'm going to side with 7770. However I would say get a 1 gigabyte 7850 instead of the one gig 7770.

    7770 2 gigabyte 142.99
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-hd77702gd5


    7850 1GB 155.41
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-hd7850dc1gd5
  20. I already have the 2GB Asus 7770. I was just wondering if I should stay where I am with one 7770, upgrade to 2 7770's, or get 1 GTX 660. I don't have any problems with my 7770 yet. I just think I might soon.
  21. oh..... Hmm. Well what is your end goal gaming wise let me ask you that. Because if for now your 7770 is cutting the mustard then maybe it may be wise to hold off. I wouldn't pair up another 7770 personally.
  22. I would like to be able to run Crysis 3 on ultra since it is probably the most GPU killing game out right now.
  23. Any of the cards you have brought up you will be unable to do this. You would need something stronger then entry/mid level cards do to do this.
  24. My friend uses his 660 and runs Crysis 3's beta with no lag what's so ever. And the 7870 is supposed to be better than 660.
  25. Didn't you post another thread ? the one for a 220$ card ?
    If your monitor resolution is 720p, there's no point in getting any other card, or another 7770.
    Save for a new monitor and a card.
  26. Right but your friend probably isn't running every setting on very high which is the highest setting in Crysis 3.
  27. I used a new thread because it was sort of a different question and people kind of got off the topic of Graphics cards and started hating on CPU.
  28. Your CPU isn't horrible its just not a high end i5 shrugs but again its not the same cost.
  29. This thread needs to end :sleep:
  30. I've never seen you bored Tom before.
  31. bigshootr8 said:
    I've never seen you bored Tom before.


    LOL - tired
  32. Go to bed young sir :) ha!
  33. bigshootr8 said:
    I've never seen you bored Tom before.


    LOL - tired

    oops - dbl post
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Asus Graphics Product