Upgrading from GTX 260, $200 Budget

thardus

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hi Folks, so my graphics card has been acting up lately, and my computer freezes anytime I attempt to play games (Diablo 3, WoW). It has been getting progressively worse over time to the point where it now freezes under 2 minutes of playing any games (screen will go some random color, or all pixilated, and stop responding completely). I took my computer apart and cleaned with compressed air, and also replaced the thermal compound on the GPU in hopes that it would solve my problem, but it didn't. So I am in the market for a new graphics card, something that will offer noticeable performance boost but doesn't require any other upgrades.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next couple of days.

BUDGET RANGE: $200 or less

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Currently play Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, Mechwarrior Online, Skyrim, and had played FF14 until it shut down (will play it again when it is re-released). Current GPU ran all of these games fine on decent settings.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260. Power Supply is Delta GPS 750-ab-a (750Watt)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 12GB of RAM, Motherboard: Gateway TBGM01

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Prefer to shop in store, like Best Buy or local computer shop.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference.

OVERCLOCKING: Don't know how. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just looking for something that will offer decent performance improvements, if possible. Two cards that I am currently considering: the GTX 650 TI (I found at a local shop for $170) or the Radeon HD 7850 (found for $200). Is there anything I should take into consideration when comparing these cards? Are they compatible with my current set up? Is one much better than the other? Will upgrading my GPU offer much of a performance boost considering other system specs? Is it likely that my GPU is even broken or is it possible its something else wrong with my computer?

Thanks in advance!

Xttony

Distinguished
Get a H7850 as you can ge tht for $200. It is better thAn the GTX 650TI. This gpu will certainly boost your performance on games. And yes it is supported by your current setup.
There may be a overheating problem with your current graphics card. Monitor the temperatures.