Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from GTX 260, $200 Budget

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2013 4:16:29 AM

Hi Folks, so my graphics card has been acting up lately, and my computer freezes anytime I attempt to play games (Diablo 3, WoW). It has been getting progressively worse over time to the point where it now freezes under 2 minutes of playing any games (screen will go some random color, or all pixilated, and stop responding completely). I took my computer apart and cleaned with compressed air, and also replaced the thermal compound on the GPU in hopes that it would solve my problem, but it didn't. So I am in the market for a new graphics card, something that will offer noticeable performance boost but doesn't require any other upgrades.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next couple of days.

BUDGET RANGE: $200 or less

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Currently play Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, Mechwarrior Online, Skyrim, and had played FF14 until it shut down (will play it again when it is re-released). Current GPU ran all of these games fine on decent settings.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260. Power Supply is Delta GPS 750-ab-a (750Watt)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 12GB of RAM, Motherboard: Gateway TBGM01

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Prefer to shop in store, like Best Buy or local computer shop.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference.

OVERCLOCKING: Don't know how. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just looking for something that will offer decent performance improvements, if possible. Two cards that I am currently considering: the GTX 650 TI (I found at a local shop for $170) or the Radeon HD 7850 (found for $200). Is there anything I should take into consideration when comparing these cards? Are they compatible with my current set up? Is one much better than the other? Will upgrading my GPU offer much of a performance boost considering other system specs? Is it likely that my GPU is even broken or is it possible its something else wrong with my computer?

Thanks in advance!
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 4:27:48 AM

Get a H7850 as you can ge tht for $200. It is better thAn the GTX 650TI. This gpu will certainly boost your performance on games. And yes it is supported by your current setup.
There may be a overheating problem with your current graphics card. Monitor the temperatures.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 4:59:54 AM

7850 2GB for sure. otherwise a GTX 660 2GB. both are absolutely amazing cards for the price.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2013 6:07:39 PM

Thanks folks. Gonna go with the 7850.
m
l
!