Old Inspiron 620S with 2 vidcard sitting around... will they work?

I have a couple of identical Inspiron 620S (small form factor, TFW 250w PSU) I got from the office. I want to throw a new vidcard in one and have these two just sitting around, brand new/unused. Both are low profile.

NVIDIA GeForce 210 GPU 1 GB 64-Bit DDR3 SDRAM Memory Low profile Graphic Card (Model: 01G-P3-1312-LR)
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS GPU 1 GB 64-Bit DDR3 Memory Low Profile Ready Video Card (Model: 01G-P3-1302-LR)

Will either of these work? If so, which one's the best choice?

I've read a good number of posts where cards are recommended to 620S owners. I'd take them up on the advice given, but again, I've got these two cards laying around. I don't play many graphically-intense games (just some strat/war games that aren't grfx heavy) and the 620S would be for general use, vids, surfing, yadda.

If needed, specs on the 620S's:

CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10Ghz (SB 32nm)
RAM: 4GB dual-chan DDR3 @ 665MGz
Graphics: onboard Intel HD Graphics Family
HD: 500GB Seagate ST3500413AS (SATA-III)
PSU: 250 Watt TFX12V

Thanks for any opinions!
3 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 620s vidcard sitting around work
  1. Yes the cards will be compatible with your system.
    The gt210 will be more powerful.
  2. You posted this second time from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/382725-31-opinions-help-upgrading-dell-inspiron-620s

???
    The answer was provided already???
  3. kisianik:

Actually, I posted a smaller variant of the question in the Graphics Cards section since I surmised the first post was over-complicated and would likely be buried many pages in very soon. Thus, I figured an answer was likely un-forthcoming, so I posted a more concise version here. As luck would have it -- within 24 hours, both topics were posted to. :)

But before I go on and on in defense of the posts, I did want to thank you for your absolutely perfect reply to every single question I had in my original post. Again, I thought it would just drift away, but I had all the answers I needed by your very nice reply.

Much obliged and hope there was no harm done with the singular graphics card request in this particular thread.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Inspiron Graphics Product