AMD 7770 or 6850

I have been really considering getting a new GPU and was wondering which one has a better performance? The 6850 has a a high memory bandwidth being a 256 bit. will this increase its performance enough to warrant the older card?

boy that really adds a pickle to things because i was in a toss up to start. from the games i play and like to play at 1920x1080 resolution with reduced graphics it seems its six of one, half dozen of the other.

The 7770 is easier on the power with a decent chance to OC and the 6850 is power hungry and runs hot although performs a bit better in games I like to play. Arrrg! I'm going to order today so I need to really make up my mind.

any other bench marks that you know about? I didn't know about that one from anandtech so thanks for pointing that one out.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Tom's has benchmarks I believe but I cant seem to find the ones for the cards of your choice.

I would go with a 560 to be honest its about 15-20% better than the 7770 and 20-25% better than the 6850 for the same price.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=543

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=560&x=19&y=22

i have found the Benchmarks here on toms thanks anyways. I found a 6850 for $109 which is the same price as the 7770. I cant afford to go any more expensive so these are my choices. I would much prefer the 560 but I'm on a tight budget.

Just as curiosity. I will be putting my current gpu in my second rig for my son and that has a 9800GTX+ in it. would it be worth looking at getting an Nvidia card and using that as a PhysX card? I found a 460 1GB 256bit card for $99 that has performance around the 7770. any thoughts?

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I understand where you're coming from, gotta squeeze whatever you can with a budget.

The 460 is a wonderful card I had it for about a 1 1/2 years until I upgraded to a 560 Ti then to a 660 Ti. If he plays games that actually use physx and wants to play with it at the highest settings then it would be ideal to. I believe you can use the 9800GTX as the physx and use whatever GPU your going to put in it as the main even if its a AMD card. All you would have to do is just install the NVIDIA control panel and set the 9800 to be the physx card. I could be wrong but I'm sure you can do that.