Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Blue Screen
  • Memory Management
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
March 21, 2012 1:12:45 PM

Hi all and thanks for any replies I get ahead of time,
2 days ago I built my second PC and everything went together great, but I did something stupid, I flashed my bios with the most up to date one from AsRock's website which was the same version that was on my mobo (which I failed to check prior) and then I started getting all sorts of bsods. After trying re-installs and this and that along with a little research, I decided to go with the memory management fixes. I have not run any memory test other than what comes with windows, but what I did was pull 2 sticks of my 16gb ram and do a fresh install all over again and voila! things have run perfectly with no errors. Now prior to my bios flash I had no issues, so Im assuming my mobo dimm slots are fine, I could be wrong, today I plan on rotating the 2 sticks pulled into the dual slot with my other to find out which one is bad if it is assuming I'll just bsod on startup again. Now I have read that its better to run only 2 out of 4 slots of ram and I was wondering why that is, because if I identify the ram stick to have gone bad, I may just switch to 2 sticks of 8gb vs the 4 4gb.
Question being....can i test the mobo dimm slots with software or do I need to install known working ram into the slots to find out if the slots are bad. And if I may, a recommendation on 4x4GB vs 2x8GB of ram for which setup would be optimal with that whole filled ram vs half filled ram on the mobo argument

System Specs: Providing what should be valid to the problem
Win 7 Pro 64 with SP1
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
i72600k
corsair vengeance 16gb 4x4 ram
corsair tx850m

More about : bsod memory management quick question

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 1:25:30 PM

You need to have a ram chip in there in order to test it.
You can run 1 stick at a time.

The recommendation for 2 sticks at a time is for performance reasons(dual channel RAM), since you are diagnosing at the moment, you don't need the performance at the moment.

And, 2x8GB. Although the performance difference is negligible to the 4x4, it's biggest benefit is leaving 2 slots open for future upgrade =D
March 21, 2012 1:40:56 PM

memadmax said:
You need to have a ram chip in there in order to test it.
You can run 1 stick at a time.

The recommendation for 2 sticks at a time is for performance reasons(dual channel RAM), since you are diagnosing at the moment, you don't need the performance at the moment.

And, 2x8GB. Although the performance difference is negligible to the 4x4, it's biggest benefit is leaving 2 slots open for future upgrade =D

Thanks alot for the fast reply, when I get home I will use memstest86 and see what happens
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 8:22:42 PM

Ok so I put in all 4 ram modules and ran memtest86.......had over 7 million errors at around 69% of the first pass.......so obviously my ram is jacked up......instead of waiting for a full pass I ended it early with a power down (probably not a good idea) but knowing ram was bad I wanted to check the dimm slots now.......so I rotated sticks out of the 2nd dual channel slot and each time with a different combo I booted into windows np.....so I tried all 4 again and went into bsod as before.......at this point im guessing its both the ram (since memtest had so many errors) and the mobo (since one dual channel works but both at the same time dont) would anyone recommend I just RMA them both after that?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 10:39:14 PM

Did you try running one stick at a time?
This will tell you which stick is the offender.
m
l
March 22, 2012 11:15:46 AM

Im currently running the tests, letting it run 7 passes before I call it good....and at this time I have 2 of 4 passing with no errors with the use of slot A1. With my ignorance of how memtest86 works I thought it would tell me errors on the module plus the dimm slot but I read a nice little guide and from that Im gonna go with if all 4 pass error free after 7 passes in a single dimm slot......than the ram is good to go, and its the mobo that will need replacing. Should I even bother checking other slots?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2012 1:43:56 PM

If the sticks consistently fail, its *probably* the RAM. Actual slot failures are rare, but can happen. If new sticks have the same problem, then its almost certainly the motherboard.

One thing to check before replacing the RAM: The voltage/RAM Timings are correct? Could just be the RAM isn't getting enough juice or something.
m
l
March 22, 2012 2:31:34 PM

According to the bios and the specs of the ram...they are setup in the correct timing and voltage....the only thing would be the bios auto sets it at 1333 and then I changed it to 1600 and first go round no problems it was after the bios flash to the same one that was already on the board that the problems started....I did a clr cmos and still had the problems so Im currently doing the memory tests.
m
l
March 23, 2012 4:35:41 PM

After memtest86 I had 1 of 4 sticks with over 21million errors, running all sticks in slot A1, afterwards I took 1 good stick and checked my 3 other dimm slots B1,A2,B2 and all had passing tests. I'm wondering why I was able to run all ram combinations in slots A1 and B1 for dual channel and it boot fine, even including the bad stick. It was just when I used both dual channels that it would error. In any case I'm going to RMA the ram. Thanks for the help
m
l
March 24, 2012 4:17:25 PM

Best answer selected by adayyum.
m
l
!