Video card issues

sonvincent

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello,

Here is my basic problem. I am having a hell of a time getting my video card to work normally. It's a new system, and the mobo has an imbedded graphics card.

The issue I keep running into is that my Video card (XFX Radeon HD 7870) keeps having a code 45 error in the device manager. The code simply means that the device is not connected.

Now you would think this is a simple problem, but here is where I get stumped.

I can sometimes get my xfx to work, basically in one of 3 ways. 1) messing with the drivers, 2) messing with windows 8 driver enforcement, 3)messing with my BIOS settings.

Once my xfx card comes back online, and I look at device manager, my xfx card pops up, and then the imbedded intel card shows the code 45 error (i.e. that the imbedded card is disconnected).

The min problem is that the main card keeps going offline, and I have to struggle to get it back.

Now the card coud be bunk, but I've managed to get it to work on some video games, including Farcry 3, on high settings, with no problems, so I don't think its a busted device issue.

Anyone seen something like this before?

my specs;

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
8 gigs corsair ram
XFX radeon hd 7870 video card
imbedded graphics is Intel hd 4000
intel i5 3570K cpu
750W corsair PSU

sonvincent

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Have you gone into bios and disabled the on-board graphics?
Make the pci-e graphics default..

That's generally what I do when I am messing with the BIOS. So sometimes it works, but then the problem I run into, is when Windows again refuses to recognize my PCI-E graphics card, I have no monitor output, and am required to reset BIOS by pushing my cmos button (which I would prefer not to do), just to reset my system and get my imbedded card to have output.

Another thing I do not know anything about is how BIOS relates to the OS. So sometimes I will set my BIOS to prefer the PCI slot over all others, but it will change it back to auto, or IG (inmedded graphics).

dannyritz

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
I had a code 45 as well. My graphics card screws that secure it to the case had come loose. I think that gfx's are really sensitive. It was properly seated and the screws were hardly loose but once I had tightened them down it was working perfectly fine. I've had no problems ever since.

Try that and if it works then great. If the problem persists then first look at whether the fans are spinning, that won't tell you too much. It could be that its getting enough power for fans but insufficient to run. Make sure all your power connections are secure.

sonvincent

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

Did you have an imbedded graphics card as well?

Gigafight

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I have pretty much the same problems. My monitor shows that it tries to pick up the signal from the Video card but it never does. Tried re-seating the card and done quite a bit with the drivers, Catalyst center, and BIOS. The last thing I just tried was taking johnnyq1233's suggestion of disabling the Internal graphics and setting the PCIex16 slot as my primary display port. It worked on the first try but that doesn't mean anything since the BIOS didn't save my last settings from yesterday. I have a bad feeling this Mobo has buggy firmware.

My specs

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1
i7-3770S Ivy Bridge
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) RAM
Corsair 750TX PSU
HIS HD 7850 2GB (Radeon) Video Card

sonvincent

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

I have a suggestion: For me it was the BIOS settings. First time for me, I notice two Graphics card settings when trying to get my PCIe 16 slot to work with my video card; 1) the options about enabling/disabling/auto for the imbedded graphics card, and 2) the 3D bios setting choosing the PCIe Express slot as the primary.

HOWEVER, there was also a third setting that seemed to be a root for the whole Bios system, that led to my bios system essentially continually reverting. I'll have to get back to you later, as I am not home right now, but I do recall it being one of the first pages of settings in your Bios settings - dig through there, open up collapsed items, etc, and just look around for a while.

Once I corrected that setting, I have not had continuing problems at all, and the whole systym works very smoothly. I'll get back to you later too, but try that.