Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Do i need extra cooling for a stock gtx 670?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 1, 2013 2:07:01 PM

Hello i am thinking about getting a new graphics card in a few months and i am planning on getting a gtx 670 2gb and i probably won't overclock it. im quite new to this and this is my first gaming pc and i have had it for about a year and i was wondering if i need extra cooling if i want to get the gtx 670.
my specs are: cpu;i5 2500k
CPU cooler;xigmatek hdt-s963
Motherboard;p8z68-v lx
RAM;8gb corsair 1600mhz vengeance 2x4gb
current graohics card:nvidia gtx 550ti
Case:xigmatek asgard
PSU;700w xigmatek
February 1, 2013 2:14:46 PM

No, you don't need extra cooling for a stock 670 gtx, it's has decent temperatures at load.
You could get a non reference card with a custom fan system, like the msi pe, asus dcii, galaxy gc, gigabyte windforce 2/3 or the evga signature 2.
February 1, 2013 2:20:57 PM

Not at all. If you have a nice open case and something like the Windforce 670, you're going to see ridiculously low temps for a GPU. Please be aware though, that if you plan to go SLI the Windforce is not an optimal choice because of the way it exhausts heat. It certainly won't blow up but in a small case with bad cable management, two Windforce 670's have had bad results.
Related resources
February 1, 2013 3:40:56 PM

djangoringo said:
No, you don't need extra cooling for a stock 670 gtx, it's has decent temperatures at load.
You could get a non reference card with a custom fan system, like the msi pe, asus dcii, galaxy gc, gigabyte windforce 2/3 or the evga signature 2.

ok thanks and do you know if the pcie 3.0 connection will work with the pcie 2.0 connection on my motherboard because i have seen a few you tube videos with people with the same graphics card and motherboard and i just wanted to make sure
February 1, 2013 3:42:11 PM

TheMadFapper said:
Not at all. If you have a nice open case and something like the Windforce 670, you're going to see ridiculously low temps for a GPU. Please be aware though, that if you plan to go SLI the Windforce is not an optimal choice because of the way it exhausts heat. It certainly won't blow up but in a small case with bad cable management, two Windforce 670's have had bad results.

thanks and i probably won't sli because the motherboard i have atm doesn't support sli apparently
February 1, 2013 3:53:18 PM

robsmithy1 said:
ok thanks and do you know if the pcie 3.0 connection will work with the pcie 2.0 connection on my motherboard because i have seen a few you tube videos with people with the same graphics card and motherboard and i just wanted to make sure



Any pcie 3.0 card is compatible with previous pcie, pcie 3.0 is backwards compatible with pcie 2.0/1.1
With 2.0 at 16x, there's no restrain for the card, it will work at the maximum capability.
February 1, 2013 4:08:25 PM

djangoringo said:
Any pcie 3.0 card is compatible with previous pcie, pcie 3.0 is backwards compatible with pcie 2.0/1.1
With 2.0 at 16x, there's no restrain for the card, it will work at the maximum capability.

ok thanks
!