Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help picking single GPU solution

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 1, 2013 3:40:58 PM

Hey guys been doing some research in the last couple of days and my decision has come down to these 3 video cards for my needs. What do you guys suggest?

MSI Lightning GTX 680 2GB
ASUS HD 7970 Matrix Platinum 3GB
MSI Lightning HD 7970 3GB

What do you guys think? I also don't know how the newest beta CCC drivers are in terms of performance.

More about : picking single gpu solution

February 1, 2013 3:45:13 PM

for sure the 7970 platinum
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 4:07:51 PM

I would go for the 7970 since they OC better and drivers are pretty much an non-issue
been running AMD for years without driver issues and the newest ones have bumped up performance quite a bit

AMD generally has less updates through the year but overall in the long term performance due to drivers is about the same as Nvidia

Cooling wise the ASUS should beat out the MSI one by a bit 1-3c?
But it is a triple slot solution so if you need the extra slot and want to save soem cash the MSI is a good choice too


Extra VRAM on the 7970 will also be usefully if Crossfire/SLI in the future

m
0
l
February 1, 2013 4:34:37 PM

So the ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum 3GB is probably the best choice to go right now?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 4:45:13 PM

^ depends how much they cost where you live and if you don't mind losing 3 slots instead of 2
m
0
l
February 1, 2013 4:46:18 PM

Same price, they're available, and I can lose 3 slots instead of two.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 5:34:51 PM

If you are gaming on a 2560X1600 and especially on a triple monitor setup no single card will do you justice, except, for the Nvidia Titan. It has more processing power than either 680's SLI or 7970's CF and is only one chip so no issues. Plus it has 6G VRAM. Will be coming out the end of the month. If you can, hold on for a few weeks and see if this shakes out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GeForce-Titan-GK110-GT...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 5:46:29 PM

babernet_1 said:
If you are gaming on a 2560X1600 and especially on a triple monitor setup no single card will do you justice, except, for the Nvidia Titan. It has more processing power than either 680's SLI or 7970's CF and is only one chip so no issues. Plus it has 6G VRAM. Will be coming out the end of the month. If you can, hold on for a few weeks and see if this shakes out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GeForce-Titan-GK110-GT...


this is not true the titan has 85% the power of two 680s so 2 680s would be faster.

anyway i vote a dual slot 7970 just in case you ever change motherboards or cant fit two 3 slot cards on your motherboard now.
m
0
l
February 1, 2013 5:57:15 PM

^ could we all stop bringing up titan ? right now its nothing but rumors. As for the op the best single gpu card you an buy will be a asus matrix 7970platinum,HIS ICE q2 X edition or the sapphire toxic 6gb 7970

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/his-7970-x/
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

You already listed the matrix so no need to link you to it. As for if those cards are in your price range thats another story,but they are the fastest single gpus you can buy right now
m
0
l
February 1, 2013 6:07:36 PM

I'm really liking the asus matrix 7970 platinum.
m
0
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 6:19:10 PM

Then go for it.

Any 680 is pretty much going to be a waste - it's 5% faster than a 670 (2-3% after both are overclocked), and costs 25-30% more.

That being said, the new series of video cards (700/8k) are coming out soon. It would be well worth the wait for a couple months, methinks.
m
0
l
February 1, 2013 6:25:00 PM

mclovits said:
On the Nvidia side, all of these are beastly. In real world scenarios, both companies trade blows in leading in-game performance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Overclock these to there max on the coolers they have than overclock the 7970s i listed to the max on their coolers and see who comes out on top. Thats coming from someone who has an team green card so its not fanboyism.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 6:37:32 PM

robthatguyx said:
Overclock these to there max on the coolers they have than overclock the 7970s i listed to the max on their coolers and see who comes out on top. Thats coming from someone who has an team green card so its not fanboyism.


Eh I just have the reference evga GTX 680 and mine overclocks to 1280Mhz and I score 11770 graphics on 3dmark11.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5545046

Maybe someone could give an overclocked 7970 link to compare?

Edit: Oh and I don't go over 70c and that is with the reference blower setup.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 7:47:24 PM

cbrunnem said:
this is not true the titan has 85% the power of two 680s so 2 680s would be faster.

anyway i vote a dual slot 7970 just in case you ever change motherboards or cant fit two 3 slot cards on your motherboard now.



Check out this link:

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_geforce_titan_7...

Sorry I didn't include the link.

Just a single card with 6GB of memory will blow any SLI/CF solution out the window.

Now imagine two of these in SLI . . . Four???

m
0
l
February 1, 2013 7:53:44 PM

I remember someone trying to run 3 2560x1600 monitors with the sapphire but they didn't crossfire it so they only took advantage of the vram and created a gpu/vram bottleneck im still curious to see a crossfire setup with it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2013 7:59:26 PM

mf2385 said:
Check out this review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAuytYW1ZSI

performance numbers fast forward through that towards end. This is pretty current as well, I think last week.


I'm not sure that showing a factory overclocked card vs a stock reference card really shows anything. I think you will be happy with any of the cards you pick, they all have their ups and downs.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 5:45:36 AM

It's not just a factory overclocked card, it's a 3 slot super immense cooled card that has much more overhead for overclocking and the cooling is just flat out better.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2013 5:36:52 PM

mf2385 said:
It's not just a factory overclocked card, it's a 3 slot super immense cooled card that has much more overhead for overclocking and the cooling is just flat out better.


no that asus in the video is a ghz edition it has the tahiti xt2 core as the video stats at 1:20
m
0
l
!