what is the best ide hard drive?

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
I have an IBM 15gb hard drive. i couldn't be happier with it, i knew that they ran a bit warmer than other hard drives but i also took into consideration that they were 7200rpm. now that i am buying a radeon AIW i want to get another hard drive so i can use my computer as a vcr and for video editing. and also i am building my mom a new ocmputer and want her to have a new reliable hard drive that won't crash. so i was going to buy a pair of IBM 40gb hard drives for a pretty good price but then i'm seeing all this crap on the board about how they shouldn't be run more than 8 hours. So what is the best ide hard drive out there that takes into account speed, reliability, and price?

ok, so IBM says their 120gxp shouldn't be ran for more than 8 hours a day. does that mean that the 60gxp or other brands(western digital, maxtor) are more reliable or does that just mean that those other brands didn't put their sugestions in writing.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
first of all, what does IMO mean? seocnd of all, maxtor is pretty good? some of my friends have had bad experiences with maxtor, but that could be an isolated incident.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
IMO = In My Opinion
Maxtor is awesome as far as I'm concerned. All my drives are, except for my work machine! I have an IBM machine with an IBM 60GXP. Once Maxtor does what IBM is doing I will probably need to find a new mfg. :frown:

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
2 cents more
I have used WD for over 3 years and then i had troble with
relibility and after 13 bad drives out of 200 in 3 months
and 21 more with less then 6mo of use, 34 drives in 3 months
i gave up and went to Maxtor...
i do get a few segates not bad at all just run hotter for me
all are file and e:mail 4U rack mount servers 24/7/365
if WD is dead 3-6 weeks to replace..
Maxtor no dead yet but maxtor said 24/48 hours to replace.
Have been useing Maxtor now for just over 8 months now
and i can't help my self i like U/ATA133 with controler card......................................................

<font color=blue>Join THG UD TEAM WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
As you can see, from the comments here, there is no "best" IDE drive. People have different experiences with different drives. I would say reliability is about equal among all of them. I have tried IBM, Maxtor and Western Digital, and none of them have failed so far.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor