Asus HD 7970 Direct CUII 2 x 8 pin connector question

Hi,

I got a new Asus HD 7970 Direct CUII video board to replace my old HD5850.

My old 5850 had 2 x 6 pin power connectors and I see that the 7970 has 2 x 8 pin power connectors. The new package only contained a single adapter 2x6 pin -> 1 x 8 pin. Question is, do I need to purchase another adapter in order to safely use the new video card or is one enough?

Thank you for your time.
8 answers Last reply
More about asus 7970 direct cuii connector question
  1. Both need to be plugged in, it won't run on just one. So you'll either need an adapter for the second plug, or a new power supply. If you don't mind me asking what is the Make, Model, and wattage of your power supply?
  2. What power supply do you have?

If you're in luck, your PCI cords will have 6+2 connectors. If that is the case, you can use those instead.
  3. My power supply is Corsair TX 650W. Can't seem to find any 6+2 connectors. I do have 2 additional 6 pin connectors. Curious as to why the video board package would contain only one adapted if I need 2.
  4. I'm blind. I actually have a 6+2 connector on it. So now I can use the 2x6 -> 1x8 connector along with the 6+2 connector. In the long term is that a bad thing? Should I still go and buy different connectors when I can?
  5. if you have the extra 2 6 pin connectors, just get another adapter, you have a quality psu. As for why? not sure why they would only include one lol, maybe they assumed you'd have one 8 pin already, a lot do. But you will need the second plugged in, your gpu will not likely even turn on without it.
  6. zaprophet said:
    I'm blind. I actually have a 6+2 connector on it. So now I can use the 2x6 -> 1x8 connector along with the 6+2 connector. In the long term is that a bad thing? Should I still go and buy different connectors when I can?

nope if you have the 6+2, then you are set! no worries at all, just plug in that one and the adapter
  7. zaprophet said:
    My power supply is Corsair TX 650W. Can't seem to find any 6+2 connectors. I do have 2 additional 6 pin connectors. Curious as to why the video board package would contain only one adapted if I need 2.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article813-page2.html

Is this your supply? According to the review, it indeed does have 6+2 connectors.
  8. Indeed. Was blind as a bat. Sorry for wasting your time. Problem fixed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Asus HD Power Graphics