Upgrading 9800 GT, 200$~ budget

exodusonfire

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
==========
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 3 weeks (sooner the better) $100 to 200$ (i dont do rebates)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Heavy gaming, Currently playing BF3 with everything on low at 40-50 fps, I want to play upcoming releases such as Crysis 3 which my current card does not support at all (game wont even start). Then the usual web browsing with videos and movies.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: BFG Tech GeForce 9800 GT 1GB PCIe 2.0 x16 GDDR3, RS-500-PCAR-D3 from COOLERMASTER 500w PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD FX-4100 4.0GHz (Quad Core Zambezi) , 970A-D3 GIGABYTE mobo, 8GB G.SkiLL ram. The case itself currently has 3 built-in fans.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, tigerdirect, I'm open to any good website with good prices and is trustworthy of course. I'm in the United States (east coast)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I have a preference to nvidia gpus because it's all I have ever used but if it is honestly believed a radeon card can be just as trustworthy then i am ok with it.

OVERCLOCKING: I do not care about overclocking my GPU so no. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I have no intention of SLi or Crossfire so no.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: My current resolution is 1680x1050 (native)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I just need a card that's going to last me, since I bought the 9800 about 3-4 years ago I have run every game flawlessly up until today when I tried Crysis 3 Beta and the game wouldnt launch as the card doesnt support DX11, I then decided its time to upgrade. Also, I'm aware the PSU might be a concern if I want a stronger card so please throw some suggestions for that as well IF NEEDED.

exodusonfire

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

I'm unsure as to what you mean, what sort of details? and do you mean the one I have or what I'm looking for? Sorry english is not my first language so I miss a couple things here and there. What I can add off the top of my head about my PSU is that it is the RS-500-PCAR-D3 from COOLERMASTER

ndslite

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
If I were you, I would try to spend around 215$ to either get a gtx 660 or radeon 7870. Personally, I would go with the 7870 just cause I feel it has more OC headroom and a better value, but if you're an Nvidia fan go with the 660.

exodusonfire

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

I'll look into the 660, would I need a stronger PSU for it? otherwise thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep this card in mind if i can shuffle out the money, would like some suggestions within the 100-200$ if possible though. Also, OC'ing isn't an issue for me as I don't overclock anything(my cpu is oc but that was factory oc).