Closed

670 sli or 680 sli for nVidia Surround?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
February 1, 2013 7:33:16 PM

I'm looking in to doing nVidia surround. Already have two monitors, just gonna buy a third and then I gotta grab some GPUs.

I currently have the 660ti, great card for 1080p but not necessarily for nVidia Surround. I was wondering if I should buy two 670's or two 680's? A lot of the videos online showing these in SLI are a bit old and don't show the new drivers. I'm hoping to get as much bang-for-the-buck as possible cause I want the best performance (3 monitors, maxed settings, 50-60 FPS for games like Borderlands 2, Crysis, ME3, Skyrim) without breaking the bank.

I know it may sound like a dumb question but I've heard that no deal beats 670 SLI in terms of price for performance, not even the 680. I'm gonna buy 4GB cards either way.

Whatcha think?

More about : 670 sli 680 sli nvidia surround

a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 7:45:42 PM

I feel it would be more of a value for you to to go with two 670's in Sli 4gb. A 680 just costs to much above what a 670 puts out. Were you intending on doing 3D? Have you looked into the AMD alternative or are you set on the Nvidia product.
Score
February 1, 2013 7:57:33 PM

While the 670s would give you better value, I personally would go with 680s, for better performance in games that don't utilize SLI. Also, microstutter seems less apparent on the higher end cards (shorter 'stutter' frametime).
Score
Related resources
February 1, 2013 7:57:59 PM

Or you could get a 690 and never worry about anything again.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 7:59:43 PM

A 690 is more expensive then two 670's in sli so its less of a value to get a 690 plus from what I hear the 4 gigabytes is really 2 spread among the two cards.
Score
February 1, 2013 8:02:29 PM

I have a single monitor for my 3d experience, a Benq monitor that costs $450...so I'm not buying two more for a 3d Experience lol.

Fokissed, I heard the 600 series did a lot to fix microstuttering? Not true?

ANd zycuda, the 690 kinda didn't impress me with it's Surround performance...50 fps average with drops down to 30 in action sequences in BF3? BF3 is really easy to run lol...
Score
February 1, 2013 8:19:33 PM

Bf3 is one of the most intense games, but yeah you could get more
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 8:21:24 PM

Yea from what I understand Nvidia has a stronger multi gpu game then the AMD side of things in regard's to the stuttering.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 8:25:15 PM

If you can wait a few weeks, check out the upcoming Nvidia Geforce Titan.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_geforce_titan_7...

As you can see, a single GPU with more performance than either a 690 or 7990. And it has a full 6GB VRAM so you will never run out of ram.

Set up a quad SLI of these and you will have as much graphics power as God!

Well, maybe St. Peter.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 8:39:00 PM

running 4 cards hurts gaming more then it helps gaming. 3-4 cards are mainly there for benchmarks and epeen. Plus Titan is going to more then likely be more expensive then the 690 currently is.
Score
February 1, 2013 8:46:28 PM

bigshootr8 said:
running 4 cards hurts gaming more then it helps gaming. 3-4 cards are mainly there for benchmarks and epeen. Plus Titan is going to more then likely be more expensive then the 690 currently is.

Toms hardware's latest article says it' estimated price will be 899$
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 8:56:17 PM

Estimates are a fickle thing. If its a stronger card then the 690 I would imagine it being more expensive especially since its given a name and not a number.
Score
February 1, 2013 9:04:03 PM

Get the Titan.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 9:12:58 PM

If you wait for Titan I would at least wait and see what benchmarks show.
Score
February 1, 2013 9:15:04 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Estimates are a fickle thing. If its a stronger card then the 690 I would imagine it being more expensive especially since its given a name and not a number.

Dont forget that it's going to be a single gpu.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 9:32:58 PM

A single GPU that is probably stronger then the 690 I know. It's based off the GK110 chip which has been used on the quadro cards.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 9:36:17 PM

two 680's or wait till the end of the month and get the Geforce Titan
Score
February 1, 2013 10:58:30 PM

I have 4gb 670's in SLI and they run damn near everything between 50 and 60 FPS on ultra. If it's worth $200 more for another 5 or 6 FPS then by all means go for it. I love my GTX 670's.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 11:35:32 PM

Yea, I don't think 5-6 frames is worth it especially if you are getting more then acceptable frames on multiple screens like that. And you are right at your refresh rate of your monitors more likely then not so I would say that is a good point.
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 11:53:07 PM

Fokissed said:
While the 670s would give you better value, I personally would go with 680s, for better performance in games that don't utilize SLI. Also, microstutter seems less apparent on the higher end cards (shorter 'stutter' frametime).

The 680 is 5% faster than a 670, which drops to 2-3% after overclocking both cards. A 680 is 25-30% more expensive, too.

There's no possible reason to buy 680s, especially when a single 670 will max any game just as well as a single 680.

(And a 670 IS a higher end card, by the way... and doesn't have microstutter issues. Perhaps you're thinking of AMD?)
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2013 12:05:25 AM

Yea I don't see the reason to buy a 680 as a whole at this point but hey people will buy what they want some times.
Score
February 2, 2013 1:52:20 AM

Ok, so I'm getting the impression from people that two Asus 4GB 670's would be the optimum build for nVidia Surround? I currently have a Geforce 660ti for my main screen and while it's great it doesn't offer me the greatest performance on some things that I want to do.

Now this Titan, on the other hand, sounds like a Maxwell chip to me...I've heard rumors about it not even being released anytime soon (definitely not next month). I have to save enough money to buy all this *** anyway (rent, groceries, school payments all HOLD ME BACK!), so I won't be doing so at least until March. Hopefully the 700 series is rolling out by then so I can see if Titan is in fact part of that or not.

Techtomorrow says the price is rumored to be around $900 American dollars...which is a couple hundred cheaper than the 690 was on release lol. For something that supposedly can perform 1.5 times better (at least) than the 690...I'm down lol. Totally down. I'll live off the Ramen diet, but I'm down :p .

Thanks a lot for the help guys. If Titan doesn't come out soon and if the 700 series doesn't impress for it's price, I'm gonna go with a couple 670's when the cost drops some more :) 
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2013 1:57:02 AM

I would sell the 660Ti if that is what you were after or perhaps wait for the new series to come out if you can. I see you with a 660Ti and think that as a value you would be stabbing yourself into the toe getting a 670/680.

Its a quadro chip its a independent chip its not of the maxwell manufacture.

Ah I see so you are kind of waiting to see what happens I think its wise. Don't impulse shop for a card to close to something great whether the current gen going down in price as you said or the next gen cards.
Score
February 2, 2013 2:01:23 AM

Titan is a fake from what I hear just an overclocked SLI 680 faked 3D Mark slide
Score
February 2, 2013 2:04:17 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I would sell the 660Ti if that is what you were after or perhaps wait for the new series to come out if you can. I see you with a 660Ti and think that as a value you would be stabbing yourself into the toe getting a 670/680.

Its a quadro chip its a independent chip its not of the maxwell manufacture.

Ah I see so you are kind of waiting to see what happens I think its wise. Don't impulse shop for a card to close to something great whether the current gen going down in price as you said or the next gen cards.

Hehe yeah, thanks for the compliments and the quadro chip info.

I spent the last year upgrading my previous PC and building my new one...learned a lot along the road and have been through a few cards trying to figure it all out :p  660ti is the best I've owned to date and I don't regret buying it, even if I were to get a couple 670's. I got Borderlands 2 for free, something I didn't already have, so I look at it as in I paid $240 for the card, and then I'm expecting to get at least $175 for it...so all in all I will have paid $65 for a phenomenal GPU which has not only given me great performance for a little over half a year but taught me a lot about the capabilities of graphics technology.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2013 2:08:09 AM

No Titan is real.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2013 2:18:33 AM

I believe Titan is real as well mainly because its a chip that they couldn't get refined before the release of the Kepler cards. Yea I feel the same way with my GTX670 I have never had any card like this before I had always had the mid level cards 8800GTS 320MB, Then 4770, then 5770, then 560Ti, Then 2 560Ti's Then 670. I have a hard time remembering before that I remember Geforce4 MX onboard video and Geforce FX 5200, 6200.

Score
February 13, 2013 7:55:53 PM

Nicolai92 said:
I have a single monitor for my 3d experience, a Benq monitor that costs $450...so I'm not buying two more for a 3d Experience lol.

Fokissed, I heard the 600 series did a lot to fix microstuttering? Not true?

ANd zycuda, the 690 kinda didn't impress me with it's Surround performance...50 fps average with drops down to 30 in action sequences in BF3? BF3 is really easy to run lol...

I haven't heard any news about the 600 series fixing stuttering, but it really isn't that big of a problem. The only time it happened to me was when I would minimize the game a lot, otherwise I never noticed it.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
February 14, 2013 3:35:47 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I believe Titan is real as well mainly because its a chip that they couldn't get refined before the release of the Kepler cards. Yea I feel the same way with my GTX670 I have never had any card like this before I had always had the mid level cards 8800GTS 320MB, Then 4770, then 5770, then 560Ti, Then 2 560Ti's Then 670. I have a hard time remembering before that I remember Geforce4 MX onboard video and Geforce FX 5200, 6200.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/DSCN0183_zpse3950836.jpg

Same as you. I was always used to getting the low-mid range.. never thought I'd be able to afford 670's and 680's
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 21, 2013 12:39:56 AM

Even though I have a GTX 670 now for Surround or Eyefinity I still think AMD/ATI is the best. The simple fact is AMD/ATI has had 3 monitor gaming tech for a longer time and it is more refined than Nvidia's. Heck Nvidia still has not worked out the bugs with there Windows 8 drivers so you can't be in Surround and have a Windows open to only one monitor maximized something you can do in Windows 7. The taskbar is messed up in Windows 8 and not in Windows 7. These are things that are not the fault of Windows 8 but for what ever reason Nvidia just has not fixed. AMD has had it correct since there first release on Windows 8 drivers.

Do not get me wrong I like the GTX 670 but it just seems that Nvidia is not up to par with there drivers anymore. I have had a few driver crashes something I have not had with my 6950's or 7950's at all. I will see how well SLI works tomorrow when my second GTX 670 arrives hope it will give me the boost I am looking for with my 3x Asus 27" monitors. I have stayed with the GTX 670 because I dual boot Windows 8 and OS X 10.8.3 so for this i5 rig I will keep it intel/Nvidia.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 21, 2013 7:01:35 AM

bryonhowley said:
Even though I have a GTX 670 now for Surround or Eyefinity I still think AMD/ATI is the best. The simple fact is AMD/ATI has had 3 monitor gaming tech for a longer time and it is more refined than Nvidia's. Heck Nvidia still has not worked out the bugs with there Windows 8 drivers so you can't be in Surround and have a Windows open to only one monitor maximized something you can do in Windows 7. The taskbar is messed up in Windows 8 and not in Windows 7. These are things that are not the fault of Windows 8 but for what ever reason Nvidia just has not fixed. AMD has had it correct since there first release on Windows 8 drivers.

Do not get me wrong I like the GTX 670 but it just seems that Nvidia is not up to par with there drivers anymore. I have had a few driver crashes something I have not had with my 6950's or 7950's at all. I will see how well SLI works tomorrow when my second GTX 670 arrives hope it will give me the boost I am looking for with my 3x Asus 27" monitors. I have stayed with the GTX 670 because I dual boot Windows 8 and OS X 10.8.3 so for this i5 rig I will keep it intel/Nvidia.

The Problem with most any Windows 8 drivers is.. windows 8 just "OFFICIALLY" come out just a few months ago.. You can't expect them to be 4 years ahead in driver dev for a OS that was only given to devs a little over a year ago
Score
a c 109 Î Nvidia
March 21, 2013 8:17:37 AM

I'm curious if you have experience using AMD/ATI with 3 monitors, or if you are assuming that they have better experience. I've don't recall hearing that claim from someone who has used both. Of course it is a small subgroup, but one I'd like to hear from.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 21, 2013 1:00:02 PM

Who Me?
Score
a c 109 Î Nvidia
March 21, 2013 1:07:11 PM

Rockdpm said:
Who Me?

No, bryonhowley. He said he just got a surround setup, and said AMD/ATI is better, but it sounded like he never used it, so I was curious if he actually has, and can actually compare the two, or if he was just assuming something.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 21, 2013 1:45:28 PM

I think hes a AMD Fanboy. no where in his sig does it say he has a 670 I mean hell i could say I have 4 7970's running eyefinity in reality I only have 1 680 on a single monitor but I only said it because I want my fake opinion to get across
Score
March 21, 2013 11:28:51 PM

bystander said:
I'm curious if you have experience using AMD/ATI with 3 monitors, or if you are assuming that they have better experience. I've don't recall hearing that claim from someone who has used both. Of course it is a small subgroup, but one I'd like to hear from.

I had 6870's in crossfire in eyefinity and now I have 670's in SLI in surround and I will stick to nvidia from here on out unless AMD comes out with a card that is just too good to refuse. I had nothing but problems with AMD(not trying to start a war) drivers. I had to go back and forth between drivers to make things work right. With nvidia I just put everything in and everything fired right up and has run without a hiccup since.
Score
a c 109 Î Nvidia
March 22, 2013 7:01:17 AM

ajl2011shooter said:
I had 6870's in crossfire in eyefinity and now I have 670's in SLI in surround and I will stick to nvidia from here on out unless AMD comes out with a card that is just too good to refuse. I had nothing but problems with AMD(not trying to start a war) drivers. I had to go back and forth between drivers to make things work right. With nvidia I just put everything in and everything fired right up and has run without a hiccup since.

Thanks for your experience. When reading reviews, I don't see one or the other doing any better on average, at least in terms of working, though both have had hickups on getting them to work with different games from time to time in reviews. However, I always see people say that AMD is better because they've done it longer, but that has never seemed like a good enough reason for them to do it better. I wouldn't think adding a custom resolution would really require much expertise and experience.
Score