Upgrade CPU or GPU?

Josejbs

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Currently I am running an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Cpu, and a GTX 560 SE edition. I have a budget of 400$ so I can get a 3770k with a motherboard or possibly a GTX 670/Radeon HD 7970. If I do upgrade my Gpu will my cpu bottleneck it?

you're kind of up the creek either way but the video card is the weakest link.

arma/skyrim like big video cards more than even bf3......... yes, no matter what the 955 will bottleneck but I think the video card is the best bet. without it all your games will suffer more.

try not to spend all 400 and save for the platform upgrade later.

I feel with a mid line card you would be fine. Your GTX660/Ti and 7850/70 however the higher end cards may prove to be a bottleneck on your CPU. So its up to you really if you want to make the leap CPU wise you would need a new motherboard and CPU. Otherwise a new video card would just plug in play.

ajl2011shooter

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I think even if you do a healthy OC you are going to be pushing the limits of a HD 7970/ GTX 670. You will need a CPU/mobo upgrade anyway so I'd start there and then save up a little dough for a GPU. Like ndslite said micro center has the 3770k for $230 or the 3570K for $190 and tons of good mobo sales.

A perennial question.

Here is my stock answer:
To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

If you are playing BF3 multiplayer, then you are likely to have a cpu problem.
In single player, thgraphics is more important.

If you upgrade the cpu, make it a 3570K which is cheaper, $190 at microcenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K_34GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

You will want a Z77 based motherboard which will be <$100. Most any will do barring a need for extra features.

If you upgrade the graphics card, make it a jump of several tiers, or you may be disappointed. Perhaps to a GTX660

If you must do one or the other, I suggest the cpu/motherboard first. I see the 3570K as a 4 year cpu.

Graphics cards are easier to change out as technology gets better.

Exactly. If you reduce the resolution and eye candy, you should be able to drive your games to higher fps if the cpu is capable.

Conversely, if you limit the cpu and it does not change the fps, then the cpu is not the limiter.