Sign in with
Your question

GTX 285 - upgrade or buy new?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2013 9:09:45 PM

-I have a custom ibuypower i7 920 w/ 2x Nvidia (SLI) GTX 285's. I usually only use 1 card - if I use both (2), the room gets too hot.
-I want a 2nd computer so my friends can come over and play multiplayer games.

Should I:
a.) Just buy a bare bones computer and put one of the GTX 285's in it?
or
b.) Buy a new computer for myself and let my friends use the old one?

I have been quite interested in seeing tessellation but hear it may not be worth the money, as I am usually satisfied with the quality of my current video cards, but can't seem to max out my settings anymore...

Thanks,

Steve

More about : gtx 285 upgrade buy

February 1, 2013 9:23:54 PM

If you're worried about cost efficiency- there is no need to upgrade either CPU, and to a lesser extent, your GPU. Short of DX11, you're not missing much. I imagine you can max out every game including both far cry3 and crysis 2, albeit in dx9. Is dx11 worth the upgrade? Now that I have it, I'm not as impressed- but I'd be lying if I said that I dont prefer dx11. If you can get a gtx 460 or equvalent card for 100$ go for it.

Know that if you opt to buy another computer from used parts- you'll be able to make another one that can play crysis 2 maxed out in dx9 for peanuts, compared to what you'd pay to buy a new computer that is only slightly faster than your current one, but does support Dx11.

There is no perfect solution- that I know of. Living between 2 cities- I opted for the first solution- using the "extra" money into paying for my phd studies... Either way- good luck!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2013 9:54:01 PM

I'm not sure how the scaling works but if I remember right it went 200 series then 400 series. Two GTX285's more then likely beat out a GTX460. I would try and get what you can off the cards money wise. I would put a middle of the road GPU in one computer if you built a computer for friends like a 650Ti and then get a card that you would use to enjoy the games you play.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 12:20:35 AM

I was merely suggesting cheapest and capable dx11 card. A single 285 will perform like a one 460 in respect to performance. A single gtx 460 on a decent rig can play far cry 3 on dx11, ultra at full HD and 8x aa. Tough to justify getting a pricier card.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2013 12:55:53 AM

You could probably find a 560Ti around that range. I mean hell I sold two 560Ti's last October for 260 dollars. So I would imagine you could get a card like that.
m
l
February 2, 2013 2:17:32 AM

I really appreciate all the help - I really don't want to spend a lot of money, but I also don't want to waste the money I spend. Whatever I purchase, I want it to last for a while. I think I'm leaning toward a new computer when the 700 series comes out... but I don't
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2013 2:21:55 AM

You don't what? I would wait and see where things go honestly. Haswell is around the corner and so are the 700, and 8000 series cards so probably by May, June things should be more clear for most. And I totally understanding not wanting to waste money you want a long term investment.
m
l
February 2, 2013 8:14:16 PM

"I really appreciate all the help - I really don't want to spend a lot of money, but I also don't want to waste the money I spend. Whatever I purchase, I want it to last for a while. I think I'm leaning toward a new computer when the 700 series comes out... but I don't" want to wait too long either...

Don't know what happened to the rest of that - sorry. If I knew the 700 series were coming out in May, I would wait, no question. If I knew they were coming out in December, no way would I wait. Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea when the 700 series is due out?
m
l
February 2, 2013 8:31:26 PM

It will be due out around may, its when the 600 series was, i doubt Nvidia would delay their card production like that because AMD would end up getting ahead and theyre still using the kepler architecture or this series so not that much will be new but there will be an increase in performance i assume
m
l
!