Sign in with
Your question

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X

Last response: in Storage
March 11, 2002 12:58:32 PM

This Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 80GB hard drive is only 139$, is that the right price, i thought it was low. www.googlegear.com has this HD for only 139$.. i guess thats a good price for an 80GB HD.

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!
March 11, 2002 1:27:42 PM

That's a half decent price! I would snatch it up! If there's a problem with the drive it should have a three year warranty.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
Related resources
March 11, 2002 1:39:52 PM

Newegg is good with shipping to!

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
March 11, 2002 4:48:19 PM

A case of 20 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 80GB
on 3-11-02PM is $109.00 each USA $2180.00 a case
$30.00 mark up is not bad at all....
I sell for USA $169.00 .........
CompUSA up the block sell it for USA$189.00
only dif is OEM or Box...

<font color=blue>Join THG UD TEAM WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW</font color=blue>
March 11, 2002 9:18:05 PM

is newegg a good dealer

March 11, 2002 10:50:39 PM

did they figure out the warranty on the d740x yet? last time i checked, it still said to be determined on their site.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
March 12, 2002 12:20:25 AM

They won't determain a warranty until the last drive is manufactured.

March 12, 2002 1:18:38 AM

they have refurbished maxtor diamondmax 40 GB drives for $59 at directron.com. It comes with a 90 day warranty from directron and 3 years from manufacturer.

Brainwashed North Korean prisoner 38943.
March 12, 2002 5:20:15 AM

yeah, but a d740x is new, and faster...

-DAvid

March 12, 2002 11:24:45 PM

quick HD question. If i buy this Maxtor 80 gb hard drive, can i partition it 20gb and 60gb, and only boot of the 20gb part.?

thanks

March 13, 2002 3:09:57 AM

i have my 40 gig partitioned into a 10 gig and a 30 gig, and i boot off the 10 gig.
there are many options though :smile: !

-DAvid

March 13, 2002 3:07:49 PM

You could set a 1GB part, and boot of that...if you wanted to. Why? I wouldn't, but you could (the 1GB part that is).

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.
March 13, 2002 5:56:41 PM

if i do set it do like 15gb and 65gb partitions, will the booting be faster booting from the 15gb part, rather then leaving it as 80gb's and booting off that

March 13, 2002 6:52:56 PM

It's still on the same hard drive, so it'll still be the same speed.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 13, 2002 8:36:59 PM

thats an interesting thought. But i don't think so.

To have the OS in the beginning of the drive instead of say the middle or last end of the drive is faster. but no matter the size the beginning of the drive (which is usualy where the OS is installed) is always the fastest. So you want your OS always in the beginning.

other than that i don't see any speed ups by partitioning. It does give you more space because formating a huge drive you lose a bit of space compared to having many smaller drives. It also makes formating drive C faster so you can get it up and running by partitioning. Also good for organizing. No speed ups though. sorry :(  ...

good luck :) 

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
March 13, 2002 9:59:04 PM

its not TOO much quieter i have heard....they are supposed to also run cooler...but i dont know how much they do.
the J is FINE.
unless you are getting REALLY specific about how quiet your computer is.
my J version is MUCH quieter than anything else in there...so i dont see why stress over it.
plus, not sure, but i think that the L's had problems! :eek: 

-DAvid

March 13, 2002 10:07:43 PM

i researched it before i bought and i can't see any facts to backup your claim. If you know something please let me know and prove it. As far as i know there are no problems with this drive. Of course that is as far as "I" know. ;) 

the drive is quiet like the IBM drive quiet.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
March 13, 2002 10:34:00 PM

You could PM Fugger if you're interested. He had several problems with them.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
March 13, 2002 10:36:49 PM

is the L as quiet as the 60GXP or quieter? well...it's only 6 more buck for the L at newegg though...J4=$132 L4=$138...the shipping is wonderful $7 only...good deal

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:
March 13, 2002 10:46:58 PM

And that's one of the reasons I only shop at Newegg when I buy online :cool:

March 14, 2002 1:17:58 AM

It will be faster due to all windows data including the swap file being at the beginning of the media, but to be honest I think the speed difference will be so small you would not notice it as long as you kept either setup defragged. So technical answer yes, practial answer no =/

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
March 14, 2002 1:20:20 AM

I would look towards reliability, especially since the IBM 75GXPs and now the 60GXPs been having problems. I remember reading about how the lack of proper cooling might possibly affect the two, but I don't remember the URL. I must've found it before I started implementing my bookmark organization. So, I'd go for Maxtor...

<A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com/cgi-bin/news_archive.pl/10..." target="_new">How quiet is the Maxtor D740X?</A>

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Windows XP-based Website</A></font color=red>
March 14, 2002 2:43:45 AM

i dont know how you could have personally researched the noise levels....
because you didnt provide any proof yourself :wink: !
BUT......
the site that btvillarin posted, "how quiet is the FDB d740x", that is the one i read about them not being much quieter.
2db isnt going to be noticed.
and 45.9, which is what it would be for the j4, isnt much louder, and isnt very noticeable in normal conditions.
the only reason you would need the extra quiet is if you were using it in a recording studio...
you MIGHT notice the difference...and i am sure it is quiet...but so is my J4 model.
quieter than my older maxtor hard drive.
but i dont want to argue about this...

-DAvid

March 14, 2002 2:58:20 AM

researched WHAT technology of the drive...
the 40gig/platter?
the ata-133?
the FLuid Dynamic Bearing?
WHAT?
or the fact that i have HEARD a few things about the FDB having problems.
how can i prove that to you when i HEARD them?
unless i make a website, that says "hey, there is a problem with the FDB d740x" but then it would be completely invalid.
i am sorry if there was some sort of CONFUSION between your post and mine....
but you know what, i did some research before i bought my drive too.
and i figured that since the fdb was hard to get, and that there wasnt much difference in the noise, and that there was a possiblity of problems with the fdb, then i figured why not just stick with the tried and true ball bearing.
and if i find anything on the internet to back up my claim of there being problems with the fdb, i will post it here.
but until then, i think we can stop this, maybe?
sheesh...

-DAvid

March 14, 2002 2:43:50 PM

ok....
trust me man, i am very supportive of maxtor.
since my problems with WD, i only buy maxtor...and i like FDB, i wanted one, but i heard a few things, and i THINK i read something somewhere..but i am not finding anything..so you are probably right..maybe i didnt hear right or something....
anyways, i wasnt saying NOT to get the L series...i said i HEARD something about it.
but whatever.
eitherway, it is a d740x, which has a very high mtbf..and is fast.
oh, and that link is pretty good, <A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/travel/fdbwhitepaper.pdf" target="_new">http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/travel/fdbwhitepaper.pdf...;/A>

-DAvid

March 14, 2002 3:01:37 PM

Oh, If you have 45GB used up and you boot up, and then boot up something thats only 15gb, I'd figure it has less things to load so it would boot faster.

March 14, 2002 3:19:55 PM

well thats not true. Because what windows loads is what you install and the services it needs to run. You can have 50GB of data used up on your 60GB drive and it would load just as fast as if you only had 3GB used up.

However, it is true in that as you get closer and closer to the end of the drive it runs slower. But, your operating system is installed at the very beginning of the drive; therefore, your OS boots up the same speed no matter how much space is used up. The programs you install can vary as that depends on the code and optimizations and bug fixes with that program.

but in general windows boots up the same speed no matter how much space is used up.

Now defragmentation and fragmentation. Thats a different issue. The more space you use up and constantly make changes to the more fragmented your files become. Making the drive slow and possibly making windows boot up slower. As well as program lauches and installation. And depending on the program it can cause programs to crash. (trust me on this, i've seen it at work). Defragment the drive and it'll be fine.

March 14, 2002 3:32:17 PM

hey it's kew...

Just i don't base my research on a specific thing.

I read that, as i wanted to know what this FDB thing is, and sure enough it's a new technology yet to be tested i'm sure. If i have problems then well, there is always an RMA, and maxtor are very good with there warranties.

March 14, 2002 8:45:18 PM

well, of course maxtor is good with their rma..but i dont know personally...because i have never had to deal with their RMA. :smile:
but yeah...the FDB thing isnt that new..it is like 3rd gen i think...so it cant be too messed up.
oh, and here is a random thing...just to lighten the mood of this thread.... <A HREF="http://bbspot.com/News/2002/03/ocjesus.html" target="_new">http://bbspot.com/News/2002/03/ocjesus.html&lt;/A>
overclock! AHYUK!

-DAvid

March 14, 2002 9:35:24 PM

I saw that yesterday. Funny shiznit :lol: 

March 14, 2002 9:43:34 PM

yeah..i wonder what brand their jesus was tho...because that is a prety good overclock.
and i wonder if amd is going to release a jesus....
hehe

-DAvid

March 15, 2002 12:16:12 AM

what actually makes the Booting process faster...

more memory ?...

March 15, 2002 2:07:47 AM

faster access times on your hard drive, and defragging.
more ram helps with the page file.
i dont know what it would do for booting..but it might?!? :eek: 
not sure.

-DAvid

March 15, 2002 12:32:06 PM

Ok, Thanks

!