Can I replace my Stereo with a few PCI cards for my Comput..

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
July 30, 2004 1:08:09 AM

I have a rather expensive (at least for me) setup:

Rotel RSP-1098 Video Preamp - I use it mainly to switch between my
computer, DVD, and Cable; and to decode the various DTS,DD,Neo,etc.
formats http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsp1098.htm)
Rotel RSP-1040 DVD - A very decent DVD player
5 high quality speakers (JBL Paragons)
3 Carver Amps
Sony HDTV
a Pentium 4 2Ghz Computer with nVidia w/DTS out and a Creative SB 5.1
w/SPDIF out in my living room

Now, it occurs to me that I don't need my Rotel RSP-1098 for switching
because my Sony TV can handle that.

I can play my DVD's on my computer so I don't need the DVD player.

So what I really need is a sound card that acts like a preamp for my
two 250W Carvers (one bridged for the center channel and the other for
the fronts) and one 80W Carver Amplifier for my rears that power my 5
speakers + a powered subwoofer - or, a very simple preamp that takes a
coax SP/DIF in and provides volume and 5 speaker and 1 subwoofer
output in RCA format.

What do you folks think? I have US$2500 (Rotel 1098) + $500 (Rotel
1040), or $3000 worth of equipment which could potentially be replaced
by one or two PCI cards? Is that possible? Would the quality suffer?
If it can be done, could you recommend the particular PCI/USB/Firewire
equipment?

Thanks,

Dan Bush
DanielJBush@remove.comcast.net

remove the remove.

Dan Bush
me@remove.danbush.com <remove 'remove.' to email>
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 3:36:54 AM

"Daniel Bush" <DanielJBush@remove.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p opig09eld3pa7511dcm7a40j5dtmh67a4@4ax.com...
> 5 high quality speakers (JBL Paragons)

Five Paragons!!! ???

TonyP.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 6:38:21 PM

Daniel Bush wrote:
> I have a rather expensive (at least for me) setup:
>
> Rotel RSP-1098 Video Preamp - I use it mainly to switch between my
> computer, DVD, and Cable; and to decode the various DTS,DD,Neo,etc.
> formats http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsp1098.htm)
> Rotel RSP-1040 DVD - A very decent DVD player
> 5 high quality speakers (JBL Paragons)
> 3 Carver Amps
> Sony HDTV
> a Pentium 4 2Ghz Computer with nVidia w/DTS out and a Creative SB 5.1
> w/SPDIF out in my living room

What a dreadful concept - having to turn on your PC just to listen to some
music. I assume you have it well silenced ....

geoff
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 10:48:38 PM

Daniel Bush wrote:

> What do you folks think?

Leave it be as it is until there is a need for replacing something.

> I have US$2500 (Rotel 1098) + $500 (Rotel 1040), or $3000
> worth of equipment which could potentially be replaced
> by one or two PCI cards?

You only speak about dollars, and not about sound and image quality and
about what control surface you like to use, nor about the issue of the
noise from the PC's cooling ventilators and harddisk(s).

> Is that possible?

Yes, it is technically possible.

> Would the quality suffer?

Worse, similar or better. The budget option seems to be Midiman
Revolution, quality in comparison to what you have unknown.

> If it can be done, could you recommend the particular
> PCI/USB/Firewire equipment?

No. I don't want to use the wording recommend. Whatever you do is to use
more money, and possibly waste what you have already spent on what seems
at a glance to be a pleasant and well thought out set-up. For a
recommendation: sit back and enjoy the music and the images and leave it
be. That things can be done differently is not the same as that it is
wise to redo them differently.

> Dan Bush

Kind regards

Peter Larsen