CD player stopped working

Last response: in Home Audio
July 30, 2004 3:28:44 AM

Can anyone assist please.

My son purchased a Sony DHC-MD333 Mini Hi-Fi system 5 years ago and to day
the CD player stopped working ( 5 weeks after the extended guarantee run
out.)

It is a radio / CD player / mini disc recorder.

Does the CD drive work from a belt that may have snapped or has anyone else
had a similar problem.

I put a cd in and it says NO Cd and when ejected the CD has not spun.I have
tried a cleaner, but that does not spin either.

Thanks

Dave

More about : player stopped working

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:28:45 AM

In article <41097a1d$0$6448$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, DaveINM
<nothanks@home> wrote:

> My son purchased a Sony DHC-MD333 Mini Hi-Fi system 5 years ago and to day
> the CD player stopped working ( 5 weeks after the extended guarantee run
> out.)

The gods of the extended warranty must of had your number.

> Does the CD drive work from a belt that may have snapped or has anyone else
> had a similar problem.

Yes. The belt may have come off, worn out, or broke. There may
also be some type dirt or debris in the player, or a lubricant that
has dried up. Try popping it open and see what you find. Just be
careful not have it plugged in while you are inside of it.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 john@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com
July 30, 2004 4:18:40 AM

> Yes. The belt may have come off, worn out, or broke. There may
> also be some type dirt or debris in the player, or a lubricant that
> has dried up. Try popping it open and see what you find. Just be
> careful not have it plugged in while you are inside of it.
>
> -john-

many thanks

Dave
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 8:27:31 AM

It's unlikely to even have any belt in the cd mechanism. If it does, it's
only for tray loading. Much more likely a cleaning problem, or an actual
failure, such as a bad laser or spindle motor.

And no, cleaning discs don't work, it needs a proper cleaning.

Mark Z.

!