Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • User Experience
  • Games
  • AMD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
February 2, 2013 3:20:35 AM

I'm researching a new build (~$1.2K budget) and was pretty settled on a Radeon HD 7870, or potentially going up to 7950. However, there are specific games I intend to be playing, which have pretty negative feedback for AMD cards/AMD drivers. Its not a criticism of them, just a limitation with certain games. As such, I also started to consider an Nvidia 660ti. While this might not offer the same price/performance ratio, I think it will still hold its own.

The games are below (not limited to, but will be starters):

- Mircosoft FSX - the biggest culprit. Struggling to find real world feedback with AMD as the communities lean so heavily to Nvidia
- DCS A-10 and FC3 - unsure
- Company of Heroes 2, Civ 5, Football Manager - prob makes no difference either way

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

The link to my build is below too:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

More about : amd 7870 7950 nvidia 660ti game specific user experience

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2013 3:30:53 AM

I dont want to start another 7950 vs 660ti war but to my knowledge a 660ti will not stand the test of time like a 7950 would. Reason being the bit interfaces 192-bit vs 384-bit. If you want to OC then go with 7950. If you want flawless driver support while still playing almost maxed out go with 660ti. I myself had to make the same hard decision and i decided to go with the 7950. Choice is yours mate, either way you will love your new system regardless of what team you belong to, Red or Green.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2013 3:32:25 AM

On a side note I would personally wait about 4 months to make a gaming PC considering all the hardware that's coming out soon.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 2, 2013 4:17:32 AM

After much reading it seems this is a common debated topic. I'm not sure I want to wait a few months as I'll end up falling into the syndrome of always waiting for something better.

Thanks for the quick reply
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 12:33:02 AM

PhilH930 said:
After much reading it seems this is a common debated topic. I'm not sure I want to wait a few months as I'll end up falling into the syndrome of always waiting for something better.

Thanks for the quick reply

Whether or not you wait you will end up happy with your purchase i am sure of it =).
m
l