SCSI Problems

G

I am currently working with a computer setup that has a 36 gig Quantum Atlas SCSI HD and a 80 gig IDE Hard Drive. I am trying to get win2k on my SCSI drive but when i installed onto it and tried to boot off it it gives me an error that 'ntoskrnl.exe is damaged or missing' and that I need to reinstall it. So first of all if this error can be fixed it should solve my problems, but secondly, i cant format the SCSI drive now. When I try to format it from the Windows 2000 CD it says that the SCSI Chain is terminated improperly or not at all or something, but the thing is there is only a Hard Drive and a DVD Player, and they are on different cables connected to the same SCSI Card. The DVD Player uses the bigger SCSI Slot and the Hard Drive uses the Smaller one. Well anyways. I got windows to install on my IDE Hard drive and I can startup with it but when I try using either Partition Magic or the built-in Windows functions to format the SCSI drive it says I cant do it. Basically I need to figure out how to get my scsi drive back to ground zero so I can get a clean install of windows on it, or else just to fix up the ntoskrnl.exe. If anyone can help please do :) Thanks

BiGBOi
souljabigz@hotmail.com

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Whats the RPM on the drive?

How are you terminating the SCSI cable? If your using a SCA drive with a 68pin adapter I would defiantly look at your jumper settings.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

G

Its 10,000 RPM. And in the documentation of the hard drive it doesnt say anything about 'how' to terminate the chain it just says:

Termination Note: The Atlas 10k wide disk drive is manufactured as an Ultra2 Multi-Mode LVD device only. This drive does not provide for onboard SCSI bus termination. Refer to your system or SCSI controller doumentation regarding recommendations on SCSI bus terminations

And Im not exactly sure as to what this is saying, but on my drive there is a 68 pin adapter. However, I dont know which jumpers I should set etc. since I have no manual with my hard drive, and the documentations online with it say that it has either 28 pins or 12 pins, when it really has 16 pins where I can put jumpers on. Maybe this will help, thanks again

BiGBOi

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
You can get your jumper setting from <A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/Maxtorhome.htm" target="_new">here</A>, but I think your problem is termination. The last device on the SCSI chain should be terminated.

You will also need a special Ultr-2 LVD twisted pair cable. The part number for the cable I cannot remember. I'll search my other post and let you know. Sorry, but on the link click on the sidebar "Service"/"Product Support"/Enterprise SCSI Drives", then under SCSI Installation Flowchart, you will get the info you need.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jc14all on 03/11/02 12:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
This is the information regarding the SCSI LVD cables. I know this is referencing Adaptec, but you can use the same cables. You said your HDD was Ulta-2 so, the cable you should have is the <font color=red>ACK-68I-U2W</font color=red>. These cables have the correct termination needed for the HDD. Now I'm not sure what type DVD you have to say which cable it needs?

As far as I know SCSI-2 LVD cables are different from SCSI-3 LVD cables <A HREF="http://ask.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=dt1wro8g&p_lva=&p_refno=010418-000006&p_created=987619338&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTQzJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9TFZEIENhYmxlcyByYXRpbmcmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPTI4JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9MiZwX3NvcnRfYnk9ZGZsdCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=" target="_new">link</A> and <A HREF="http://ask.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=vUhfzo8g&p_lva=&p_refno=010725-000006&p_created=996100150&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTQwJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9TFZEIFVsdHJhLTIgY2FibGUmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPTI4JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9MTAmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=" target="_new">link</A> so to make sure you are using the correct cables, use only the p/n for the cable of either SCSI-3/SCSI-2 LVD kits.

The SCSI-3 Ultra160 LVD cable p/n: <A HREF="http://www.adaptecstore.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=251829&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=14948&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=29400" target="_new">ACK-68I5-LVD CBL Kit</A> (5 position)

The Ultra SCSI-2 LVD cable p/n: - <A HREF="http://ask.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=vUhfzo8g&p_lva=&p_refno=990819-000005&p_created=935083622&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTQwJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9TFZEIFVsdHJhLTIgY2FibGUmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPTI4JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9MTAmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=" target="_new">ACK-68I-U2W</A> (5 position)

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If he has an adapter from 80-68pin he has to get the jumper setting from the adapter mfg., because they aren't the same in most cases.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
but on my drive there is a 68 pin adapter.
Oh yeah, I misread his post. I thought he said his HDD was a 68-pin. I overlooked the <b>adapter</b> connected to his drive. He didn't state the adapter's manuf. name did he?

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I know the drive. Single Connector Attachment = SCA. There aren't any jumpers for this drive because they are made for servers and are a hot swap interface. You will need to find the jumpers for the adapter, and terminate the SCSI cable.

This is a quote from Maxtor's site (not in reply to anyone) >>>
The Atlas SCA drive does not provide for physical configuration of the SCSI ID. Maxtor, formerly Quantum, disk drives that utilize the 80-pin SCA connector do not require any jumper configuration for SCSI ID. Systems that use SCA connections, typically, auto-configure the SCA device. This configuration is determined by the system at start-up or by user definition during system setup. Contact your system manufacturer for details on setting SCSI ID.
The only jumper on this drive should be to force single ended. You would probably want to remove that jumper cause it will use LVD or SE depending on the controller with it removed.

G

And how would I go about finding the jumper settings needed on the adapter?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Just a shot in the dark. Remember the link you posted the other day for the <A HREF="http://www.scsimasters.com/scsiadapters.html" target="_new">SCSI Adapters</A> would help him out? I saw a 1-800 # there that he could call.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.scsimasters.com/" target="_new">SCSI Masters.com</A>

That one?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Yes sir. That's the one. He could probably call them and maybe luck up by cross referencing any p/n's on his adapter.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Oh, and also make sure its the right one, they make several that look ALMOST the same but they ARE different for 80/160 etc....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Your right that is odd web site(ladies fashions/computers/tools). Thanks for helping out, but BIGBOI has not made another post to confirm if this is what he needs or not.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
One thing that concerns me you said *practically* identical, they made several that looked VERY similar, bit the silk screening is different. They were made for different SCSI levels and are not totally compatible so be careful, although even an old one SHOULD (no promise) see the drive in single ended mode.

That being said you will notice in the picture the jumpers at the bottom right of the picture. As long as you are using 4 or less drives its easy to config, just put a jumper on for each different ID. For example the jumper on the far bottom right of the pic sets the ID to 1, the next one up 2, then 3 and 4. After ID 4 thats where its wierd, id have to look the chart at that site. Also keep in mind that SCA drives have no built in termination, and the adapter does not either. You will want to use an ACTIVE LVD160 terminator (assuming your drive is ultra 160) at the end of your scsi able. You can get a 5 connector cable and active terminator from www.mwave.com for about $40. If you have a digital camera it would help to see the adapter as I may recognize which one you have by the silkscreen style =)

G

Thanks but I cant find the "ACTIVE LVD160 terminator" on that website, and also Im not sure I completely understand what it is. Is it an adapter I clip onto the end of my existing SCSI cable? Or what? Please help me out here thanks :)

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
If you want to see what a picture of the cable looks like with the terminator on one end, click on my post above with the part number: ACK-68I5-LVD CBL Kit.

If your HDD is not Ultra-160 you will need tne the other cable below it: Ultra-2 - ACK-68I-U2W (which doesn't have a picture). However, both cables look exactly alike. If you can get the cable somewhere else cheaper...go for it.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Sorry should have linked it! The terminator is required because SCA (80 pin) drives are designed for hotswap and the termination is done by the bay not the drive. It is basically a small device that plugs into the last slot on the cable, or you can purchase cables with terminators already on there as the one I linked to.

http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/ProdAC-SCSICB-MW.hmx?UID=&CID=&updepts=AC&DNAME=<B>Accessories/Cable</b>&Back=ProdAC-SCSICB-MW.hmx?

A06030 MWAVE 5-END TWIST SCSI LVD CABLE 68PIN W/TERMINATOR FOR ULTRA-160 CONTROLLERS $35.00 YES

Down to $35 now. So overall you need 4 things to get a SCA drive to work without a hotswap bay (cheapest hotswap I found has 5 bays, fills 3 5.25 bays and costs minimum 250$ from enlight) is:

1- Controller card...obviously
2- Cable that supports ultra 160
3- A terminator that supports ultra 160
4- An adapter that supports ultra 160

Note tht 2 & 3 are sold as one at the link I gave you. You may find cheaper but I looked for a while when I bought mine a few months ago and no luck, the terminator is the biggest part of the cost.

G

I dont have it working :( I still get the same errors and I cant format the drive how I want to. It says im missing a sector on the drive or something and it cant write on it and/or format it. It also says my drive is only 34 gigs even though its 36 gigs, as I was able to install win2k on it before all this crap happened. I need help!!! AHHHH

Mike