My computer is infected can a clean install fix

sagbot

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hello, my computer has become infected with a virus and now my OS will not boot. The computer boots then proceeds to a black screen with what looks like a blinking cursor. I wouldn't mind doing a clean install but I do not have the Win7 disks. I do have my OEM product key though. Please help.

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
There is no free way to obtain a disc that doesn't involve piracy. Which because of forum rules we cannot help you with. To answer your other question doing a clean install will fix everything, but you will lose all of your files and data in the process. Best of Luck

sagbot

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Thanks for the timely input guys... Will try to use my OEM key for a clean install, but if all else fails gonna have to shell out for a new version... Thanks again

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
If your computer is a laptop you can order a recovery DVD from them with the OS to re-install. Back up your data to another computer or drive using a usb to sata cable. If you have a friend with a similar laptop then you may create a recovery DVD with his OS and use it to re-install your OS. Only works with a very similar brand of laptop like Dell or HP.