Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Low fps with radeon 7870

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • PowerColor
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 2, 2013 5:14:44 AM

hello, i recently got an amd radeon hd 7870 powercolor, but it's performance is no better than my previous radeon 5830...im playing steam games like l4d/2 css tf2 and they fps lag and fps dips very low...my cpu is not bottle necking, its at 50ish usage and my gpu usage wont go above 40...ive tried differnt drivers and nada. Can any body help? My cpu/gpu temps never go above 55c

-radeon 7870 powercolor pcs myst edition

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-amd phenom 965 black edition 3.4ghz

-asrock 970 extreme3 mobo

-700 watt psu

-corsair vengeance 4gb

-2tb WD HDD

More about : low fps radeon 7870

February 2, 2013 5:15:33 AM

Did you use the 13.2 drivers?
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 5:22:40 AM

amuffin said:
Did you use the 13.2 drivers?

yes, ive tried 13.1/13.2/12.6/12.11 and all of them did not work
m
0
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 6:04:50 AM

I had such issue with L4D2 and TF2 with a 560ti, i simply disabled the 2d clock and run all the time @ 3d full clock and that resolve the problem... (don't know if you have this options an AMD card) The card wasn't running full clock cause the fps was over 60 but that introduce some real input lags on my side and when it's at full speed, all is ok...

Enabling/disabling the Vsync does nothing for me beside i was capping at 60fps with it disabled, however at full clock it's way higher...
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:02:45 AM

man, TF2 should run fine even on a 5830, there is something else wrong with your system. maybe the psu isnt good enough to power the card, what make/model PSU is it? It could also be a motherboard fault, try anotherpcie slot. FPS dips could be due to not enough ram. Also check your temps, maybe your cpu is getting too hot and throttling back. Another thing to ty would be a clen windows install. Do you have another hard drive you can put a clean install on to test it?
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 1:49:19 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
man, TF2 should run fine even on a 5830, there is something else wrong with your system. maybe the psu isnt good enough to power the card, what make/model PSU is it? It could also be a motherboard fault, try anotherpcie slot. FPS dips could be due to not enough ram. Also check your temps, maybe your cpu is getting too hot and throttling back. Another thing to ty would be a clen windows install. Do you have another hard drive you can put a clean install on to test it?

i dont know the brand of the psu, doesnt say...its a 700watt lol but i tried this on a different pc with a 650w corsair psu and a fx 4100 cpu at 4 ghz and it had the same problem..when i look at msi after burner or gpu-z while playing it usge wont go above 40 percent and core clock and memory goes up and down alot...and steam doesn't recognize
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 2:02:06 PM

download driver fusion and delete current driver, dont restart then run driver fusion to clear old driver remnants, restart then install latest beta.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 4:00:15 PM

mauller07 said:
download driver fusion and delete current driver, dont restart then run driver fusion to clear old driver remnants, restart then install latest beta.

tried it, didnt work =/
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 4:05:31 PM

Those games are not always offering a load to that GPU, it backs down because the load is not always there, they max on a 8800GTS so your GPU idles down because the resources are not being used, as mentioned disable 2d clocks and you are good to go
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 4:35:30 PM

spentshells said:
Those games are not always offering a load to that GPU, it backs down because the load is not always there, they max on a 8800GTS so your GPU idles down because the resources are not being used, as mentioned disable 2d clocks and you are good to go

thanks for the reply, how would i disable the 2d clocks? sorry im new to this stuff lol
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 4:54:58 PM

i just disabled 2d clocks with HIS iturbo...still same problem
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 4:57:27 PM

CPU bottleneck.... overclock or upgrade
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 5:12:17 PM

ndslite said:
CPU bottleneck.... overclock or upgrade


my cpu usage is 25-50...my gpu usage is like below 40..ive tried this card with a 4100 fx cpu @ 4.0ghz..same problem..i dont think its bottleneck
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 8:14:31 PM

ndslite said:
CPU bottleneck.... overclock or upgrade


A bottle neck can not cause lower frame rates, it can keep you from getting more frames, but what you are suggesting and the games he is playing cpu is not really a factor

OP

Remove the card completely. Try the other PCIE cables. That 700 watt PSU should have 4 PCI-E cables perhaps you are not getting stable power
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 11:29:21 PM

spentshells said:
A bottle neck can not cause lower frame rates, it can keep you from getting more frames, but what you are suggesting and the games he is playing cpu is not really a factor

OP

Remove the card completely. Try the other PCIE cables. That 700 watt PSU should have 4 PCI-E cables perhaps you are not getting stable
power

thank you for the reply, i tried and still same problem..i just installed sleeping dogs and playing at max with good fps..no lag or stuttters....its only valve games...steam doesnt detect my graphics...it says its "unkown vendor and out dated"... my graphics are to date and ive tried other drivers...
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 1:39:18 AM

lowkee said:
thank you for the reply, i tried and still same problem..i just installed sleeping dogs and playing at max with good fps..no lag or stuttters....its only valve games...steam doesnt detect my graphics...it says its "unkown vendor and out dated"... my graphics are to date and ive tried other drivers...


"unkown vendor and out dated" is this each time you tried another driver?

Since your card is almost an unknown tahiti 7870 in place of pitcarin that could be an issue with Steam not being udpated for this special model.

This should not cause any issues with the games though, but it might.

Other games are working normally? This is kinda tricky. What model of PSU do you have?
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 4:00:41 AM

spentshells said:
"unkown vendor and out dated" is this each time you tried another driver?

Since your card is almost an unknown tahiti 7870 in place of pitcarin that could be an issue with Steam not being udpated for this special model.

This should not cause any issues with the games though, but it might.

Other games are working normally? This is kinda tricky. What model of PSU do you have?


honestly, its an offbrand piece of crap, but ive tried this card on another system with a 650w raidmax PSU with a fx 4100 cpu 4.0ghz and it was having the same issue..im seriously thinking about rmaing it and getting a sapphire or xfx or some other good brand...i just got power color because of its price...
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 5:31:49 AM

weird pcs is supposed to be the highend powercolour cards I say chang for a new one, could be bad luck
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 9:23:00 PM

look for a bios update for your video card.
m
0
l
!