Sign in with
Your question

Computer crash after swapping AMD graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2013 5:29:05 AM

Hi all,

First time posting, but I just recently bought an AMD 7850 graphics card, and I'm having problems getting it to work correctly in my computer. The backstory goes as follows: I had a working computer and everything ran fine but I wanted increase my graphics capabilities so I switched from a Radeon 6850 to a 7850. Nothing else in my computer changed. To start things off, I uninstalled all my amd drivers just to make sure, then I swapped the cards, then reinstalled. I uninstalled by going into control panel, and add/remove programs in control panel. Once I reinstalled drivers, I found that when after gaming for a short period of time I would have a crash and the screen would go a straight color, or a striped color set and I would have to force reboot the computer.

I figured it was the power supply cause I was only running a 500W PSU, so I decided to go out and get a 650W PSU to solve the issues. That didn't fix it though, and I just ended up with the same problems. I even tried to underclock the GPU slightly in the CCC and still came up with the same result. I also tried turning down the graphics settings in the game I was playing and again ended up with the same result. I ended up switching back to my old 6850 just to get the game running stable, so I uninstalled the 7000 series drivers, and got the 6000 series drivers back in (although it looks like they are the same on the amd site, I just wanted to be sure).

Now am I missing something here? Or is this card just dead out of the box? I am just wondering what sort of things would be able to do such things to my display. All temps seemed to stay within reason the entire time while gaming, so it's not an overheating issue.

My computer specs are as follows:

AMD FX 8120 CPU
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 mobo
16GB Kingston hyperx DDR3 @1600Mhz
650W PSU
180GB Agility 3 SSD
Sapphire 7850 GPU

Thank you for any advice in advance
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2013 6:45:37 PM

Just going through the unanswered section...your post is from 2 Feb 2013. I hope you get this response.

Don't uninstall Catalyst using Windows' Add/Remove Programs. Use this to completely remove drivers not just the front end program: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-u...

Hope this fixes your problem.
m
l
Related resources
!