Need help with IBM deskstar drive please

G

Hi,

Not usre if this is the right please to post this but maybe someone can help me.

I have a 60 GB ATA100 120GXP IBM deskstar drive and for some reason I can't enable DMA for it in windows. Checked everything I can think of but can't find anything to change. As soon as I restarts my system DMA is disabled agaain.

Had simular problems with my other deskstar drive, that time it was a BIOS problem with my old spacewalker motherboard, I don't think this is the problem this time, though I haven't flashed my BIOS lately.

My motherboard is a ASUS a7v133(-C) board (can't remember BIOS version)

Thanks in advance!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It has something to do with the IDE bus mastering drivers. Make sure that you get the latest VIA4in1's.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Here's the link to where you can download them:
<A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2#4in1" target="_new">Via 4-in-1 drivers</A>

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A>-<b>reorganized</b> & updated everyday

G

Forgot to mention that... I have the latest 4in1 drivers. I reinstalled them right before I posted the first message to make sure I had DMA mode enabled. I tried to install them again today just in case.

I guess the VIA drivers isn't the problem here.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The drive isn't the problem either. The DMA mode requires drivers within the OS. Hard drives don't require drivers to run, so your problem lies with the motherboard controllers.

I would make sure that you have the latest BIOS update and the latest drivers for all your hardware. Other then that just make sure that DMA is enabled in your BIOS and see where you go ....

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

G

Updated my BIOS now and still no difference.

Checked BIOS for settings to enable DMA but really couldn't find anything. Disk is set to UDMA mode 5. Other disk is using DMA mode 2.

Tried to install 4in1 again. Also tried to install the IDE filter drivers and mini port. Mini port locks up computer so that doesn't work at all.

There is no other drivers that I know of for my motherboard. Checked ASUS site but not much there, except for BIOS updates.

Any suggestions on BIOS settings to check or anything else to try please?

Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS