Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Bottleneck Build w/ 7870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 2, 2013 10:31:17 AM

So I was planning to buy an MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III OC Ed but then, moments ago, I checked the prices..

It was of great surprise to me to know that the Sapphire HD 7870XT Boost Ed became cheaper for about $18 compared the 660...

I am certain that the Sapphire HD 7870XT Boost Ed will bottleneck with my Core i3 550...

I read on an article that Radeons have these technologies called ZeroCore wherein it virtually uses 0 Watts when in idle mode...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the 7870 consume more power than the 660? because the 7870 requires 2x6pins while the 660 requires only one.

Soon enough, my specs would be like that of the following:

OS: Windows 7 Home Basic 32-Bit
CPU: Intel Core i3 550 @3.2 GHz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7870XT Boost Ed
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1x4GB DDR3 1333
HDD: Samsung HD502HJ 500GB 7200RPM SATA
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W
CHA: Fractal Design Core 1000
MOBO: Asus P7H55-M LX

Firstly, I would like to know if the CPU and the GPU would ONLY have a minor bottleneck.
and Lastly, I would like to know if the Radeon 7870 is more power efficient than the GTX 660.

-Thank You in Advance!

More about : bottleneck build 7870

February 2, 2013 10:47:52 AM

yes the 7870xt will use more power than a 660 at load, but much less power when its idling.

it will be in the same situation as the gtx 660. a minor bottleneck but nothing to be too worried about as it will still perform better than the 660 by a good margin
Score
0

Best solution

Anonymous
February 2, 2013 10:53:20 AM

at idle the 7870XT will use less power than the 660 but more when 3D gaming:
(i'd post the full graph but it BIG)
Power Consumption Test
how much more depends on what make/model of 660 you're comparing to.

that was easy but taking a guess at when or how much of a bottleneck an i3-550 would cause depends on the game. to use BF3 for an example; in single player campain that depends strictly on a dual core and good gpu, you would not experience any but, in multi player that prefers more processing power; where the game itself loads more on the cpu, your bottlenecking may have quite a bit of negative impact.

overclocking that clarksdale to ~4Gz and getting another stick of 4gbs of RAM will defiantly help to relieve that. but how much is a bit of a guess.
Share
Related resources
February 2, 2013 10:56:18 AM

TheBigTroll said:
yes the 7870xt will use more power than a 660 at load, but much less power when its idling.

it will be in the same situation as the gtx 660. a minor bottleneck but nothing to be too worried about as it will still perform better than the 660 by a good margin


thats great, thanks man!
Score
0
February 2, 2013 11:01:41 AM

Anonymous said:
at idle the 7870XT will use less power than the 660 but more when 3D gaming:
(i'd post the full graph but it BIG)
Power Consumption Test
how much more depends on what make/model of 660 you're comparing to.

that was easy but taking a guess at when or how much of a bottleneck an i3-550 would cause depends on the game. to use BF3 for an example; in single player campain that depends strictly on a dual core and good gpu, you would not experience any but, in multi player that prefers more processing power; where the game itself loads more on the cpu, your bottlenecking may have quite a bit of negative impact.

overclocking that clarksdale to ~4Gz and getting another stick of 4gbs of RAM will defiantly help to relieve that. but how much is a bit of a guess.


its the MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III OC Ed, btw

and about overclocking, I'm afraid of overclocking my CPU because it might become unusable after tweaking, and it would most likely heat up faster than when not overclocked
Score
0
February 2, 2013 11:03:50 AM

doubt you can overclock a i3 530.
Score
0
Anonymous
February 2, 2013 11:23:58 AM

XFA24 said:
its the MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III OC Ed, btw

and about overclocking, I'm afraid of overclocking my CPU because it might become unusable after tweaking, and it would most likely heat up faster than when not overclocked

well yes it can be unstable and heat up . .thats why you don't just "jump off" and do it with out a third party heatsink.

using google as your friend you can find several guides that can aide you to safely overclock such as:
3 STEP OVERCLOCKING GUIDE – CLARKDALE
research what to do and above all, why you are doing what you do as far as setting the voltages/tweaking.

Score
0
February 2, 2013 11:36:31 AM

Anonymous said:
well yes it can be unstable and heat up . .thats why you don't just "jump off" and do it with out a third party heatsink.

using google as your friend you can find several guides that can aide you to safely overclock such as:
3 STEP OVERCLOCKING GUIDE – CLARKDALE
research what to do and above all, why you are doing what you do as far as setting the voltages/tweaking.


yes, i appreciate your answer but unfortunately, i am using the stock heatsink and cooler due to budget limitations.
Score
0
February 2, 2013 11:52:39 AM

TheBigTroll said:
doubt you can overclock a i3 530.


its an i3 550 btw,
do you mean that there is minimal chances of overclocking an i3 550?
Score
0
Anonymous
February 2, 2013 12:08:55 PM

XFA24 said:
yes, i appreciate your answer but unfortunately, i am using the stock heatsink and cooler due to budget limitations.

ok, got it. the 7870XT is a great card. i'd recommend getting it and if/when you have some performance problems, then look at getting a $30 CM hyper 212 EVO to overclock that i3-550.

or think about $300+ for a mobo/cpu upgrade.
Score
0
February 2, 2013 12:36:24 PM

XFA24 said:
yes, i appreciate your answer but unfortunately, i am using the stock heatsink and cooler due to budget limitations.

you can oc on the stock cooler, just keep an eye on the temperatures when stress testing and be very gentle with the voltage increase. heck even at stock voltage you should be able to overclock at least few 100MHz and it would have minimal effect on the temps. I managed to take quadcore i5 750 to 3.3GHz from the stock 2.67GHz with the stock cooler, temps stayed below 75C under prime95. (and it was prime95 26h stable so it got all the voltage it needed with a small Vcore bump)

TheBigTroll said:
doubt you can overclock a i3 530.

it's first gen Core cpu so baseclock overclocking works just fine
Score
0
February 2, 2013 1:41:54 PM

Anonymous said:
ok, got it. the 7870XT is a great card. i'd recommend getting it and if/when you have some performance problems, then look at getting a $30 CM hyper 212 EVO to overclock that i3-550.

or think about $300+ for a mobo/cpu upgrade.


great tip, thanks man!
Score
0
February 2, 2013 1:44:00 PM

Kari said:
you can oc on the stock cooler, just keep an eye on the temperatures when stress testing and be very gentle with the voltage increase. heck even at stock voltage you should be able to overclock at least few 100MHz and it would have minimal effect on the temps. I managed to take quadcore i5 750 to 3.3GHz from the stock 2.67GHz with the stock cooler, temps stayed below 75C under prime95. (and it was prime95 26h stable so it got all the voltage it needed with a small Vcore bump)


it's first gen Core cpu so baseclock overclocking works just fine


alright man, i'll try to OC it as soon as i get the 7870
Score
0
February 2, 2013 1:53:59 PM

XFA24 said:
alright man, i'll try to OC it as soon as i get the 7870

just you remember that overclocking is 'slow' process when done properly, especially so on the stock cooler. Baby steps and all that :D 
Score
0
February 2, 2013 9:46:12 PM

Kari said:
just you remember that overclocking is 'slow' process when done properly, especially so on the stock cooler. Baby steps and all that :D 


yeah, i'll keep that in mind
Score
0
February 2, 2013 9:49:44 PM

Best answer selected by XFA24.
Score
0
!