Win2000P & networking

G

I have a small peer-to-peer home LAN going. One computer is running Win2000, the other win98.2. I can access all the files on the win98 computer from the win2000. But when I try to map the drives on the win98 computer, it keeps asking for a password. No password was every set on the win2000 or the win98 computer. I have clicked through the many levels of My Network Places and have given full right to the win98 computer. Yet this problem persists. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Francis Siu

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK,
Set up a user profile on the 2K system with the same username and password you use on the 98 system. Then make shure that you have Client for Microsoft Networking installed on the 98 system. Next time you log on with the 98 system you should be able to access the files on the 2K system.

Hope that helps

G

To fix this problem on the win2k machine open user manager and enable the guest account, and ensure it has a blank password.

The other machine should now have no problem connecting.

note: The fix listed in the previous message should also work, but if you ever log in as a different user on the w98 machine or don't log in you'll run into problems.

G

Hello,
Both of the answers you have gotten are correct. You might want to remember that setting a blank password for the guest account in the w2k pro machine basically opens the door for anyone to access the computer (including outsiders if you have internet access). Windows 2000 has many security features than win98.

G

Install Client for Microsoft Networking on the W98 machine.

This issue drove me completely bonkers for a week before I figured it out.

You will need to logon to the W98 computer.

G

When creating the accounts you don't need to have a password, just the same username you choose.