MN-500 as bridging access point

mark

I have one MN-500 as my router. It is working fine for
wired and wireless communications to the Internet.

Recently purchased another MN-500 to act as a wireless
access point in a remote place in my house. Took it out
of the box, made a wired connection from it to my laptop,
and set its network mode to bridging mode. Disconnected
it from the laptop, turned off laptop and MN-500 power,
connect the MN-500's modem port to an ethernet port from
the routing MN-500, and turned it back on.

The routing MN-500 sees the new one as an access point.
However, the new one is advertising itself as the MSHOME
network (rather than the routing MN-500's network name)
and has no connectivity to the internet via wireless
access from the laptop (tested by covering the original MN-
500's antenna with foil to force access through the bridge)

The routing MN-500 has MAC filtering turned on and is
configured to allow the bridging one to connect.

Any help with now to get this working? It sounds soooo
simple in the manual!

Mark

Barb Bowman (Microsoft MVP and Geek Goddess) covers in detail a
reconfiguring of the MN-500 like this in her Expert Zone column
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/segnet.asp back
in January. Take a look, and make sure to pay attention to the part under
"Create an Efficient Segmented Network."
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have one MN-500 as my router. It is working fine for
> wired and wireless communications to the Internet.
>
> Recently purchased another MN-500 to act as a wireless
> access point in a remote place in my house. Took it out
> of the box, made a wired connection from it to my laptop,
> and set its network mode to bridging mode. Disconnected
> it from the laptop, turned off laptop and MN-500 power,
> connect the MN-500's modem port to an ethernet port from
> the routing MN-500, and turned it back on.
>
> The routing MN-500 sees the new one as an access point.
> However, the new one is advertising itself as the MSHOME
> network (rather than the routing MN-500's network name)
> and has no connectivity to the internet via wireless
> access from the laptop (tested by covering the original MN-
> 500's antenna with foil to force access through the bridge)
>
> The routing MN-500 has MAC filtering turned on and is
> configured to allow the bridging one to connect.
>
> Any help with now to get this working? It sounds soooo
> simple in the manual!
>
> Mark

HI:
1. start over by resetting the bridge access point MN500.
Connect to a computer not connected to your existing
network via ethernet 1 port.
2. Try assigning the MN 500 access point a fixed IP
address such as 192.168.2.252 within the 255.255.255
subnet mask of the routing mn500 but out of the routing
auto IP address range. You can see what the range is on
the configuration pages of the mn500 router. My mn700 was
2 to 199. Thus anything I want to assign a fixed address
too I use 200 to 255. Remember the default IP address is
192.168.2.1

3. Disable the router on the mn500 AP
4. Assign the same wireless name SSID on the mn-500 AP
that is on the router.
5. Set the wireless channel to a different one then the
MN500 router. Use 1 or 11 if the router is channel 6 so
no conflicts.
6. Be sure to give the mn500 AP time to do the setting
changes-it can be slow and buggy. I had to do it twice.
7 Then hook ethernet cable from router (port 1 to 4) to
the MN500 AP modem port like you did. It should work both
wirelessly and the four wired ports should work like a
switch on the mn500 AP